Very tame trade front?

beck72

According to KW, there isn't much talent out there better than what the sox already have. I have to agree. Barring an injury, the sox are pretty solid. Why completely overpay for a marginal upgrade in talent that could backfire chemistry wise. If the sox held pat last year except for Blum, this year I don't expect the Sox to do that even.

At the end of the piece, the Tribune seems to think KW is talking about a SP going to the bullpen for a turn due to off days. I think KW's talking about the playoffs, having a SP going to the pen is better than any other arm the sox could add via trade. Adding Vazquez or Garland to the bullpen mix would be a very solid upgrade.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 07:33 AM)
At the end of the piece, the Tribune seems to think KW is talking about a SP going to the bullpen for a turn due to off days. I think KW's talking about the playoffs, having a SP going to the pen is better than any other arm the sox could add via trade. Adding Vazquez or Garland to the bullpen mix would be a very solid upgrade.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Not like it means anything, but in one of the Pittsburgh games, I saw Garland warming up in the pen (he could have just been tossing though, not really warming up).

Edited by Felix

It's just like last season really.

Teams who aren't doing well aren't going to give up their best talent because they're sick of losing, and unless they get a great deal with top notch prospects e.g the Ron Villone deal, you probably won't see many deals again.

Will be interesting to see if the Yanks will actually trade Phillip Hughes for Lee, Willis or Zito.

Because of the sucktitude of the al and nl wests the trade deadline is going to be very tame again. That doesn't bother me at all though considering I believe we have the best roster in all the majors and if every team stays as is, I like our chances a lot.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
Not like it means anything, but in one of the Pittsburgh games, I saw Garland warming up in the pen (he could have just been tossing though, not really warming up).

It was probably just him getting his side work in. If the Sox make the playoffs, though, it's a lock that either Jon or Javy are the most likely guys moved to the pen. Adding one of those two to the late innings really would solidify the pen. If the current bullpen guys stay solid from here through Sept, [which is very possible--all the guys are solid major leaguers--there isn't anyone to send down or trade], the Sox would be set for the playoffs with the pen + a SP.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
Because of the sucktitude of the al and nl wests the trade deadline is going to be very tame again. That doesn't bother me at all though considering I believe we have the best roster in all the majors and if every team stays as is, I like our chances a lot.

Seeing how in the offseason the prices for players was high, there was no reason to expect a dropoff at the trade deadline this yr. KW got Cintron and Mack [and Javy] for exactly those reasons. Looking around the AL, both the white and red sox are in decent shape health and roster wise. Det. is OK but they could be an injury or two away from trouble

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 07:10 AM)

Teams who aren't doing well aren't going to give up their best talent because they're sick of losing, and unless they get a great deal with top notch prospects e.g the Ron Villone deal, you probably won't see many deals again.

Will be interesting to see if the Yanks will actually trade Phillip Hughes for Lee, Willis or Zito.

I don't think Willis is going anywhere, the parity or in laymens terms "suckitude" of the NL has given the marlins a glimmer of hope. Loria being ultra competive and having money to spare has said he might give the green light if the Marlins can get to .500 in July. We as sox fans, and in general baseball fans all know pitching and defense wins, the marlins have the pitching albeit young but they've definatly got it. Its just going to depend on how things shake out for them come the dog days with their young arms. There is talk of Sanchez staying up with the team and going to a 6 man rotation to give nolasco/olsen/johnson the ability to adjust to the mlb work load. The only thing the Marlins are missing is a CF. They're still winning games even with Miggy not hitting for power and Hanley slumping.

It will be a disappointing trade deadline, but there are still a lot of players out there who could make an impact and will (or absolutely should) be moved.

Soriano has to be traded. Aubrey Huff isn't doing much bit he has to be traded. Carlos Lee will most likely be traded. The Cubs should wake the hell up and sell off their crop of players.

What we saw last year, and what has been discussed on this board at length, was the Kazmir Effect. Once the Devil Rays got uber-prospect Scott Kazmir for disposable starter Victor Zambrano, it became nearly impossible for teams to make deals without having to spare their absolute best from the minors. I don't see that happening this year. I think a lot of teams are smart enough to know when they'll have their best deal, where as last year a lot of trades that should have been made were not.

And you guys are right by noting that the Weak West as well as having 4 teams in almost every division competing will make it really tough for teams like the White Sox to land impact players.

I still think it would be ludicrous if teams like Baltimore, Tampa, KC, Pittsburgh, Washington, etc. don't cash in on any veterans they have of value.

we dont need anyone, our team is fine

we have everyone back plus more, the tigers are just playing out of their mind, but they will fall due to starting pitching (one guy is out forever dont know who though), keep the team and chemistry and we will suceed

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 07:10 AM)

Trading Phillip Hughes would be a huge mistake. The last thing the Yankees need is to trade a young pitching stud....he will probably be in the bigs within the next 3 years.