Joe Borchard back to minors

cwsox

email just received from Sox

WHITE SOX OPTION JOE BORCHARD TO CLASS AAA CHARLOTTE;

CLAIM CATCHER MICHAEL RIVERA OFF WAIVERS FROM SAN DIEGO

CHICAGO - The Chicago White Sox optioned outfielder Joe Borchard to Class AAA Charlotte following Sunday’s game at Los Angeles and also have claimed catcher Michael Rivera off waivers from San Diego. Rivera will be optioned to Charlotte.

Borchard, 24, batted .184 (13-49) with one home run and five RBI in 16 games (15 starts) with the White Sox after being recalled from Charlotte on May 23. He was the Sox first-round draft choice (12th overall) in June 2000.

Rivera, 26, batted .170 (9-53) with one home run and two RBI in 19 games with the Padres this season and .160 (8-50) in 13 games with Class AAA Portland. He was acquired from Detroit on November 15, 2002 in exchange for outfielder Gene Kingsale.

Rivera, a 6-0, 210-pounder, is a career .218 (112-515) hitter with five homers and 37 RBI in parts of three major-league seasons with Detroit (2001-02) and San Diego (2003). He appeared in 39 games with Detroit in 2002, hitting .227 (30-132) with one home run and 11 RBI. Rivera has thrown out 29.8 percent (14 of 47) attempted baserunners in his career.

„Michael provides us with another option at a position where it is difficult to build depth,“ said Rick Hahn, White Sox assistant general manager. „He is solid defensively, and hopefully with consistent playing time and working with our staff, he will be able to regain the offensive form he displayed in the minor leagues the last few seasons.“

Rivera is a career .268 (559-2,086) hitter with 101 home runs and 400 RBI in 572 career minor-league games. Rivera was named the Tigers co-Minor League Player of the Year in 2001 after hitting .289 (120-415) with 33 home runs and 101 RBI at Class AA Erie and batted .249 (66-265) with 20 homers and 53 RBI at Class AAA Toledo in 2002.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if I knew that I would have told you!

I have been wondering the same thing.

I just passed along what I got in the email.  Who we bring up is a curiousity.

I seem to remember Willie taking BP and shagging flyballs during the LA series. I'd guess he's healthy now.

I figured JB would be back in Charlotte. He needs some more time down there. However, I think he was still batting more than Willie was when Harris went down injured. Maybe Willie will be back in the line up, but I am not sure he's going to be a plus.

I breathed a sigh of relief over that Rivera announcement too.

So we add Joe B and this guy Rivera to our Charlotte roster, which means that two guys have to go. Wonder who?

And what are the redeeming qualities to Mr. Rivera that made us pick him up off the powerful Padre roster and take up one of our 40 man slots? Come in Rex with the answer.

So we add Joe B and this guy Rivera to our Charlotte roster, which means that two guys have to go.  Wonder who?

And what are the redeeming qualities to Mr. Rivera that made us pick him up off the powerful Padre roster and take up one of our 40 man slots?  Come in Rex with the answer.

We have zero minor league catching, and Josh Paul will have to clear waivers soon when Sandy comes back.

So we add Joe B and this guy Rivera to our Charlotte roster, which means that two guys have to go.  Wonder who?

And what are the redeeming qualities to Mr. Rivera that made us pick him up off the powerful Padre roster and take up one of our 40 man slots?  Come in Rex with the answer.

Jim, I am flattered that you think I might have the answer. LOL

The Riviera thing caught me totally by surprise. Someone must know something about Josh Paul. If they lose him, they likely want insurance for Sandy, and don't think Jamie Burke or Steve Morales is the answer. That's the only thing I can think of.

Birmingham has two pretty solid catchers here in AA in Aceves and Maldonado. Plus they will have to move someone when Cotts comes off the DL, which should be sometime later this week unless something has changed. So if they send someone from Charlotte down, it just creates a bigger logjam at AA and on down.

I still figure on Rowand coming back up and Willie going back to Charlotte, but that is just a guess.

My take is this.....

Joe has not improved a lot in the past two years. That much is evident. Now that he is going back to Charlotte and will be able to work with Gregg Ritchie who was with him in Birmingham, where he had success, we'll see if things change.

If Ritchie can get him straightened out, then we could see the Joe Borchard we all hoped to see. If he continues to regress, then your concerns will be validated.

He Does and he's from down here. So don't think i don't say that about my guys. Rivera was a Prospect a couple years a go and just sailed away. Another piece of s*** picked up by the Sox

My guess is they are just considering him as insurance.

Nothing wrong with having minor league catchers, just gives depth in the system.

But where do you put them all?

Majors: Olivo, Alomar, Paul

AAA: Rivera, Burke, Morales

AA: Aceves, Maldonado

None of these guys belong back in A ball.

He Does and he's from down here. So don't think i don't say that about my guys. Rivera was a Prospect a couple years a go and just sailed away. Another piece of s*** picked up by the Sox

Why do you think he sucks? Is he another Josh Paul?

CWSOX45

CWSOX45

I'd also be curious to know who else is on his list of "s*** players that the Sox have acquired", just to see if his opinion means anything to me. If someone like Jimenez is on that list, his comments carry no weight.

CWSOX45

I'd also be curious to know who else is on his list of "s*** players that the Sox have acquired", just to see if his opinion means anything to me. If someone like Jimenez is on that list, his comments carry no weight.

I know this has been discussed a lot on this board, but I think Jimenez needs to improve his work ethic. If he does the sky is the limit for this kid.

CWSOX45