chone figgins

sayitaintso

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
Stop and think of our bench if we made this trade (considering Figgins might not be used as a starter). Mackowiak, Figgins, Cintron, Ozuna, Gload, and I guess you can throw in Widger. That's an awesome bench.

Whose spot would Figgins be taking on the 25 man roster then?

Edited by Felix

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Well, I guess probably Gload.

Hey, don't rain on my parade here.

Maybe if we got Figgins, we could then petition Bud Selig to let us have 26 men on our active roster!

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
I sure do like Chone, but no way in hell do I give up Fields for him.

I'd love Chone (although I hate the way that he spells his name) as the long-term replacement for Pods. But methinks that the Halos are going to ask for a lot. A more likely scenario may be this winter when KW is ready to possibly deal one of our starters.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
Stop and think of our bench if we made this trade (considering Figgins might not be used as a starter). Mackowiak, Figgins, Cintron, Ozuna, Gload, and I guess you can throw in Widger. That's an awesome bench.

Trade for him to bolster our bench??

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is kind of an old topic, but with everyones interests changing in the mean time I thought this still may be a pretty viable option, only as a three way deal though.

Something like this:

Sox get

Chone Figgins

Austin Kearns

Reggie Willits

Angels get

Alphonso Soriano

Brian Anderson

Jerry Owens

Nats get

Pods

Adam Kennedy

Lance Broadway

Joe Saunders

Nick Adenhart

I know it is a pretty huge trade, but I think it makes a lot sense for all sides. I know a lot of people really like BA and will hate this, but I think this gives the Sox the guy at the top of the lineup that Pods is supposed to be. Angels get their guy in Soriano, plus we help keep him off the Tigers.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
I know this is kind of an old topic, but with everyones interests changing in the mean time I thought this still may be a pretty viable option, only as a three way deal though.

Something like this:

Sox get

Chone Figgins

Austin Kearns

Reggie Willits

Angels get

Alphonso Soriano

Brian Anderson

Jerry Owens

Nats get

Pods

Adam Kennedy

Lance Broadway

Joe Saunders

Nick Adenhart

I know it is a pretty huge trade, but I think it makes a lot sense for all sides. I know a lot of people really like BA and will hate this, but I think this gives the Sox the guy at the top of the lineup that Pods is supposed to be. Angels get their guy in Soriano, plus we help keep him off the Tigers.

So, in essence, we'd be giving up Brian Anderson, Jerry Owens, Scott Podsednik, and Lance Broadway for Chone Figgins, Austin Kearns, and Reggie Willits? No chance in hell I'd give up that much for those 3 players.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
So, in essence, we'd be giving up Brian Anderson, Jerry Owens, Scott Podsednik, and Lance Broadway for Chone Figgins, Austin Kearns, and Reggie Willits? No chance in hell I'd give up that much for those 3 players.

Honestly I'm not sure it would be enough to get those 3 but it still wouldn't fit the Sox' needs if it were somehow accepted.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
Honestly I'm not sure it would be enough to get those 3 but it still wouldn't fit the Sox' needs if it were somehow accepted.

Well, I don't know much about Reggie Willits, but from some quick research, BA didn't have him on their top 10 prospect list, and John Sickels didn't have him in his top 20 list. I'm not too high on Chone Figgins, especially when we currently have Pods. I think that if you are looking for a leadoff man, regardless of speed and baserunning abilities, Pods is a better choice, especially with the numbers that Figgins is putting up this year. I wouldn't give up Brian Anderson for any of those 3 players, nor would I give up Lance Broadway for any of those 3 (sue me, I'm a fan of him and the type of pitcher that he is). When you combine both Anderson and Broadway, well, it just doesn't do much for me.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
Well, I don't know much about Reggie Willits, but from some quick research, BA didn't have him on their top 10 prospect list, and John Sickels didn't have him in his top 20 list. I'm not too high on Chone Figgins, especially when we currently have Pods. I think that if you are looking for a leadoff man, regardless of speed and baserunning abilities, Pods is a better choice, especially with the numbers that Figgins is putting up this year. I wouldn't give up Brian Anderson for any of those 3 players, nor would I give up Lance Broadway for any of those 3 (sue me, I'm a fan of him and the type of pitcher that he is). When you combine both Anderson and Broadway, well, it just doesn't do much for me.

Chone Figgins is infinately better than Podsednik even with the down season Figgins is having AVG and OBP wise, he still has 37 SBs at 79% which is awesome especially compared to Podsednik's 29 and 70%. Figgins plays every position and all of them well with an excellent arm, his defense is FAR superior to Podsednik's in LF as well. Figgins is in a pathetic lineup this year, you plug him in between Anderson and Iguchi and you have yourself an elite leadoff man with offense, defense and especially versatility.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
Chone Figgins is infinately better than Podsednik even with the down season Figgins is having AVG and OBP wise, he still has 37 SBs at 79% which is awesome especially compared to Podsednik's 29 and 70%. Figgins plays every position and all of them well with an excellent arm, his defense is FAR superior to Podsednik's in LF as well. Figgins is in a pathetic lineup this year, you plug him in between Anderson and Iguchi and you have yourself an elite leadoff man with offense, defense and especially versatility.

I'm with Kalapse. As someone thats seen Figgins play on a regular basis for a few years, I can safely tell you that he is vastly better than Pods. Think of it as comparing a guy like Adam Dunn to Albert Pujols....sure Dunn hits Hr's at a similar rate but he doesn't do anything else as good.

Figgins is better defensively (and can play multiple positions) and offensively he is a bit more versatile, especially considering he's a switch hitter who is a better bunter than Pods (still not a great bunter, but Pods SUCKS at bunting). Than you have the baserunner and the comparison isn't even close, Pods has been lousy on the bases since about the all star break of last year and this year most of his steals have came in games where he gets 3 of em. He can't steal on a consistent basis anymore and doesn't have near the success rate that a Figgins has.

Figgins also has better bat control. In short, I'd be all over a Figgins trade, even if it means regulating Anderson to defensive replacement duties on the season (although I'm sure the Angels would want him). Also I must admit that 3 way deal is relatively realistic although the Sox are giving up a whole heck of a lot.

Still I don't see the Angels trading away there leadoff hitter. If they could get Podsednik, Fields and someone else, maybe (especially if they could turn that someone else along with a prospect or two of there's into a Alfonso Soriano).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 05:44 PM)
Also I must admit that 3 way deal is relatively realistic although the Sox are giving up a whole heck of a lot.

I don't think its realistic at all, simply because I think that KW won't trade BA. Aaron Rowand was made available because of Anderson's prescene, and KW traded away his real competition for the future CF in Chris Young, despite the fact that Young is widely considered one of the top 25 prospects in the league, and has a much better future than Anderson. KW is clearly a huge Anderson fan, and to trade him away now, of all times as he's getting better and better at the plate, just doesn't make any sense to me.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
I don't think its realistic at all, simply because I think that KW won't trade BA. Aaron Rowand was made available because of Anderson's prescene, and KW traded away his real competition for the future CF in Chris Young, despite the fact that Young is widely considered one of the top 25 prospects in the league, and has a much better future than Anderson. KW is clearly a huge Anderson fan, and to trade him away now, of all times as he's getting better and better at the plate, just doesn't make any sense to me.

I tend to agree with you that BA is near untouchable still. That said the right offer comes along and KW will trade anyone (and thats the right decision). I know I wouldn't deal Anderson for just anyone, nor would I deal McCarthy for just anyone. I think both have a chance to be all stars and upper echelon players at there respected positions for a long time.