RF-Harold Baines

SP-Ed Walsh

SP-Ted Lyons

SP-Billy Pierce

SP-Red Faber

RP-Hoyt Wilhelm

Link

where the hell is Nellie Fox?

he wasn't good enough for ESPN's Sox players of all time?

:fyou  Thank god i don't post over there anymore.

Collins had a career BA of .333. Fox's was around .290.

There's a lot of guys who have a career average of .290. Not many have one in excess of .330.

Collins also won 4 WS rings ('10, '11, '13 for PHA, and '17 for the Sox), and hit .328 in 34 career WS games. Fox hit .375, but only played in 6 games, and they lost the series ('59 to the Dodgers).

Both are HOF'ers, but I think Collins gets the nod because he was a winner.

No Looie Aparacio either. Sportswriter Jerome Holtzman once rated Aparacio over Luke Appling. Obviously ss and 2b are two real strong postions in Sox history. Minnie Minoso is a major omission too. Shoeless Joe was the Ted Williams of his era, but nobody loved playing the game like Minnie. Don't forget Minnie won a Gold Glove in 1957 when they only gave one award per position for both leagues. Hall of Fame catcher Ray Schalk and 50's early 60's star Sherm Lollar deserve a mention too. Willie Kamm at 3b was the slickest fielder at his position in the 20's and early 30's and Buck Weaver of the Black Sox was one of the better 3bman of his era. Weaver is the most tragic figure of all the Black Sox IMO. He is the one player that truly got the shaft. Despite our lack of WS championships we have intense competition at ss, 2b, 3b,c and lf. Thanks for posting this. Did they do this for all the teams?

I agree with collins over Fox. But Aparicio should be over Appling. And Melton should be over Ventura.

Thanks Roman. Shame of me for not mentioning Bill Melton at third. First Sox player to hit over 30 homers IIRC. It's great when a younger fan shows an interest in his teams history, or any kind of history for that matter.

Hmmm. Hard to argue with that list. It's shame that not everyone on the list is in the HOF and at least one isn't wearing a Sox cap, oops I mean White Sox cap.

Great memories. Who on this current team has a chance to make the list? About the only one I can think of is MB or Maggs and they have a long way to go.

This is cool, Carlton Fisk is also the Red Sox greatest catcher I wonder how many more players would be on two teams all time list.

Ruth?

That pitcher who won a Cy Young with the ScRubs then bolted with no return :D I forget his name. Maddux?

Thanks Roman. Shame of me for not mentioning Bill Melton at third. First Sox player to hit over 30 homers IIRC. It's great when a younger fan shows an interest in his teams history, or any kind of history for that matter.

Im not a fan of Ventura but Ill admit he was a good player. Just not as good as Melton.

And I knew either Appling or Aparicio was with Baltimore at one time. I was just leaning towards Appling because I wasnt sure. Still, Id give Aparicio the vote before Luke.

And what about Dick Allen? I really dont know much about him. What position did he play and when did he play for us? He was pretty good wasnt he?

And did a guy named Bob Lemon ever play for us or am I just hallucinating? That name sounds familiar...

Aparacio was on the 59 pennant winner. He got traded to Baltimore for the 63 season and came back to the Sox 68-70. He ended his career in Boston. Dick Allen helped save the franchise after some rough years in the late 60's early 70's. He played first for us and was AL MVP in 1972, a very exciting year for the Sox. Bob Lemon was a Hall of Fame pitcher for the Cleveland Indians during their glory years in the late 40's and 50's. He managed for us in 77 and part of 78 got fired, then took over in NY and lead the Yanks to the WS championship.

This is cool, Carlton Fisk is also the Red Sox greatest catcher I wonder how many more players would be on two teams all time list.

Ruth?

That pitcher who won a Cy Young with the ScRubs then bolted with no return  :D  I forget his name. Maddux?

Wade Boggs was on the Red Sox and D-Rays list. But the D-Rays shouldnt count...

where the hell is Nellie Fox?

he wasn't good enough for ESPN's Sox players of all time?

:fyou  Thank god i don't post over there anymore.

Collins had a career BA of .333. Fox's was around .290.

There's a lot of guys who have a career average of .290. Not many have one in excess of .330.

Collins also won 4 WS rings ('10, '11, '13 for PHA, and '17 for the Sox), and hit .328 in 34 career WS games. Fox hit .375, but only played in 6 games, and they lost the series ('59 to the Dodgers).

Both are HOF'ers, but I think Collins gets the nod because he was a winner.

If I'm thinking right here, this has more to do with how he played the game and not what his stats were. I have personally never seen Nellie play....because I was not around in the 50s and 60s...but IIRC, Nellie played the game with a passion...kind of like Eckstein does now(not that he should be on the Angels list....if he is....I guess it shows that the Angels have a weak history). He played with so much heart, that you just wanted to watch him. He rarely struck out, which is the right way to play, and he played good defense. He always had a big dip of tobacco in his front lip, and he was always smiling.

Also....getting to a World Series is about the same as winning a World Series. One team wins, one team loses....that's all that matters. What it shows is that you were one of the two best teams in the league, and in the World Series, any team can win. Also....if you got to the World Series back then, you accomplished something. It shows that you had the best record in your league. There was only 1 division....and I'm sure you are aware of that. You got to the World Series and you are a winner, regardless of what you did in the World Series itself. If you look back at Greg Maddux's career, and I ask you if he is a winner, what would you say? I'd say he was a winner on a winning team....yet, he only has 1 ring, and he's gotten to the postseason 8 straight years(excluding 94, when there was no World Series). This is also during the time when the Yankees were a very dominant team, and there was a huge rivalry between the two teams. Also, IIRC, the Yanks and the A's were big trade buddies, and there were a ton of lobsided trades involving the two teams. It's hard to win when your opponent is, to an extent, cheating. So in my book, Nellie Fox is a winner.

Collins also played in a time when the pitching was very, very weak. You saw guys hitting .400 during that time. He didn't have to deal with a slider or a knuckleball or a screwball or anything like that. He had to deal with a fastball, a changeup, and a spitball(breaking-ball). I'm sure those guys back then couldn't touch 95 or 100 MPH like in Nellie's time. You translate Collins's .330 to Nellie's time and I'm sure he hits about .290 or somewhere around there.

Stats are only half the story. Just because you have good stats does not necessarily mean you are a great player.

At the very least...Fox is a very good pinch-hitter on the All-Time team.