All-Time Sox Team

whitesox247

Fox went 9 for 24 (.375) in the 59 WS and fielded flawlessly. He was one of few Sox players not to go in to the tank in a WS they had every reason to believe they should win. He played the game like witesoxfan said. I have read several accounts that he and Mgr Al Lopez had a falling out over Al's failure to start Billy Pierce in the WS. I remember Nellie defiantly pumping his glove after the Sox shut out the Dodgers 1-0 in game 5. Bob Shaw outdueled Sandy Koufax in that game.

Yes they did have it on every team and heres are the Yankees:

DH-Don Baylor

C-Yogi Berra

1B-Lou Gehrig

2B-Tony Lazzeri

SS-Derek Jeter

3B-Craig Nettles

LF-Charlie Keller

CF-Mickey Mantle

RF-Babe Ruth

SP-Whitey Ford

SP-Red Ruffing

SP-Ron Guidry

SP-Lefty Gomez

RP-Mariano Rivera

Thats basically a hall of fame lineup, Joe Dimaggio didnt even make that list. :fyou the Evil Empire.

This may be unpopular, but Shoeless Joe Jackson should not be on the list. Replace him with Wayne Nordhagen or Ralph Garr, I don't care, but he shouldn't be included. Let "Field of Dreams" or "Eight Men Out" try to rewrite history, but Jackson helped throw the World Series. He admitted as much when he said that he didn't try as hard as he could have to make plays in the field because it would have helped the Sox win. The Eight Men Out book made this perfectly clear...why the movie portrayed him as an unknowing rube who never participated in the fix is beyond me.

Guest hotsoxchick1

your right thats an unpopular statement.......... :D whats not to love about joes accomplishments........and i honestly dont believe he had part in that throw the series thing.......not willingly anyhow........www.blackbetsy.com try there and read a bit and look at the official documents and such..... its run by his family..........they are tryin to clear his name...........i think he should be........

Screw him. He cheated and just like Sammy and Perry, he deserves to be remembered as one. He was a good player but sadly, like other historic cheaters, he had to ruin it by cheating...

But would you agree that he should be reinstated before Pete Rose? Technically his "lifetime ban" should have expired at the time of his death anyway, no?

:lol: Good point. Yet I dont think Rose did anything wrong by gambling, Jackson, by intentionally losing did do wrong and he messed up history while doing so. We had a great team, we coulda won a few more championships and maybe turned out to be a pretty historic franchise. Instead we have the second longest championship drought in baseball...

:lol: Good point. Yet I dont think Rose did anything wrong by gambling, Jackson, by intentionally losing did do wrong and he messed up history while doing so. We had a great team, we coulda won a few more championships and maybe turned out to be a pretty historic franchise. Instead we have the second longest championship drought in baseball...

Or do you blame the old roman himself for underpaying the players and not hearing Jackson's case when Jackson went up to tell him what was going on?

I remember a while back you said that you were reading 8 Men Out. Did you finish it? Jackson took money, that can't be denied. Whether or not he "threw" any games I doubt. Jackson and to a much greater extent Buck Weaver have my sympathies. Weaver just wouldn't rat out his teammates. Where he grew up (Pennsylvania coal mine country) that sort of thing would get you a severe beating or worse. Jackson was also greatly intimidated by SS Swede Risberg and Chick Gandil the main movers behind this tragic scheme. I'm not trying to make Jackson a saint, but the story is very multi-layered and complicated. Just for the record Shoeless Joe hit .375 the highest of any player on either team and drove in 6 runs to lead the Sox. He made no errors in the field. Weaver went 11 for 34 (.324) and also made no errors. Chick Gandil, Al Cicotte and Lefty Williams were the biggest villains on the field. You are right about this series changing history. Catcher Ray Schalk told long time Chicago sportswriter Bill Gleason in the 1950's that if it hadn't been for 1919 there would have been no Yankee dynasty. Don't know if that is completely true. I do know there would have been a hell of a lot more competition for them.

I read Eight Men Out many years ago, but I thought for sure that it told how Jackson in a magazine interview admitted to making sure he couldn't get to some balls in the field so that they'd lose. I think that right there is enough to damn him.

I don't buy the argument that he hit so well or didn't make any errors. Getting a bases empty single with two outs will help the batting average, but won't do too much to win a game. Same for hitting a home run in the eighth inning of an 8-1 game. A few key plays are the ones that win and lose ballgames...those are the ones that are fixed.

Stats are only half the story.  Just because you have good stats does not necessarily mean you are a great player.

I agree with you to a point. Stats can be deceiving, but when you see a guy with a career average of .333, you can bet your ASS he was a great player.

I remember a while back you said that you were reading 8 Men Out. Did you finish it?  Jackson took money, that can't be denied. Whether or not he "threw" any games I doubt. Jackson and to a much greater extent Buck Weaver have my sympathies. Weaver just wouldn't rat out his teammates. Where he grew up (Pennsylvania coal mine country) that sort of thing would get you a severe beating or worse. Jackson was also greatly intimidated by SS Swede Risberg  and  Chick Gandil the main movers behind this tragic scheme. I'm not trying to make Jackson a saint, but the story is very multi-layered and complicated. Just for the record Shoeless Joe hit .375 the highest of any player on either team and drove in 6 runs to lead the Sox. He made no errors in the field. Weaver went 11 for 34 (.324) and also made no errors. Chick Gandil, Al Cicotte and Lefty Williams were the biggest villains on the field. You are right about this series changing history. Catcher Ray Schalk told long time Chicago sportswriter Bill Gleason in the 1950's that if it hadn't been for 1919 there would have been no Yankee dynasty. Don't know if that is completely true. I do know there would have been a hell of a lot more competition for them.

Nope never finished it...

I read Eight Men Out many years ago, but I thought for sure that it told how Jackson in a magazine interview admitted to making sure he couldn't get to some balls in the field so that they'd lose. I think that right there is enough to damn him.

I don't buy the argument that he hit so well or didn't make any errors. Getting a bases empty single with two outs will help the batting average, but won't do too much to win a game. Same for hitting a home run in the eighth inning of an 8-1 game. A few key plays are the ones that win and lose ballgames...those are the ones that are fixed.

Youre right. Cicotte got a comebacker with a runner on first and started a double play but he did it slow enough to avoid getting it and this led to a big inning. I dont know how his stats were but he definitely threw it. All that you say about stats, its all very true...

Both were good but Mantle was better. Joe didnt hit 500, did he?

Dimaggio did not hit 500, you're right.

His career numbers are .325, 361, and 1537. He was a 3-time MVP, but to me the most amazing thing is that he had 361 career HR, and only 369 career strikeouts. That is simply amazing.

If you combine his best numbers, his best year would have been .381, 46, 167. Excellent numbers.