NBA Offseason Talk

With teams able to negotiate with players starting tomorrow and since we have a lot of fans of different teams around here I thought this would be a good thread.

To get things started Charlie Villanueva and TJ Ford have been swapped. Pretty big deal there.

Edited by Rowand44

Wow, I think that's a pretty good deal for both teams. Each player has his own downside -- Villanueva w/ questions about his work ethic and willingness to improve; Ford w/ his back problems (Is one season enough to state they won't reoccur?). Though, if neither of the potential problems occur, they'll both be very solid, possibly All-Star players.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 11:53 PM)
Nooo....not another pinned thread. TALKBULLS, PEOPLE. :D :P

^ Yup.

BTW, the Free Agency period has now begun in the Midwest and East Coast. Mountain Time coming up...

T.J Ford will be the perfect fit for Colangelo in their high tempo offense. Looking Villenueva hurts, but now you see why they took Bargnani instead of trading down to get a Marcus Williams.

Toronto may very well be in the playoffs next season the way they're going. Got a pretty solid starting 5 in Rasho - Bosh - Graham - Mo Pete - Ford.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 08:44 PM)
Wow, I think that's a pretty good deal for both teams. Each player has his own downside -- Villanueva w/ questions about his work ethic and willingness to improve; Ford w/ his back problems (Is one season enough to state they won't reoccur?). Though, if neither of the potential problems occur, they'll both be very solid, possibly All-Star players.

Not at all a big Villanueva fan so I think the Raptors really did well on that move. They have quite a few bigs that play a similar game and were able to get a point guard that can create a lot of things. He's still a bit raw from having missed pretty much a full season from an injury, but I like this move a lot for the Raptors.

And this will be nice for the BUcks I guess, since now Bogut will have another low post player with him.

Wow;

The Hornets made the first splash of the NBA's free-agent signing period, agreeing to terms Saturday with forward Peja Stojakovic.

Stojakovic, who last week opted to become a free agent instead of continue playing for Indiana, will sign a five-year deal worth about $64 million with the Hornets, said his agent, David Bauman. This is going to be disturbing news for the Pacers, who thought they had a good chance at re-signing the swingman. Oh well. Jul. 2 - 12:42 am et

Don't think anyone saw that coming.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 03:32 AM)
Hottest rumor going around now is that the Bulls might be trading Tyson Chandler and Malik Allen to the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets for PJ Brown and JR Smith...

http://www.talkbulls.com/forums/index.php?...t=0entry11461

P.J. Brown? Isn't he like 100? Smith? Isn't he a SF? Like we really need another one of those. Horrible deal for the Bulls.

With PJ Browns expiring contract, it likely means 3 things: PJ Brown is a stop-gap PF, the Bulls are getting rid of Tyson to have the cap space to sign Kirk, Deng, and Noc after 07, and that the Bulls are making a big splash in Free Agency this year...

Smith's a SG. And he'd be a fantastic acquisition for most teams.

I don't know if he would fit into Skiles high demanding style of his players though. Smith did have a run in with Byron Scott after all.

But if I'm Chicago I'm all over that deal. That way you could trade Gordon, or put him back to the 6th man role, and have Smith starting.

Bad news for Phoenix;

Tim Thomas Heads To The Clips: Tim Thomas has made a verbal commitment to join the LA Clippers, Thomas agreed to terms on a four year $24 million deal, that he is expected to sign on July12th. Thomas. Phoenix was offering a three-year contract worth about $12 million, and claimed that they simply could not go higher without jeopardizing their future and being a heavy taxpayer. The Suns are reported to be talking with Lindsey Hunter, Eric Piatkowski, Jumaine Jones and Matt Harpring as possible replacements.

Man the Clippers may be my pick for the West right now. Would depend if they could re-sign Cassell though, and I assume Radmanovic is leaving to join the Lakers who have offered him more at this stage, as it says here.

Lakers Trying To Nab Vlade: Vladimir Radmanovic got a phone call from Phil Jackson and Kobe Bryant, both trying to influence Vlade’s decision on a contract… It wasn’t a hard sell as Vlade agreed to terms on a five-year, $31-million contract with the Lakers. The Lakers used their full mid-level exception, matching the same package the Clippers had on the table. Radmanovic also received offers from Milwaukee and Phoenix.

Big Ben news;

Big Ben Gets Phone Calls: Ben Wallace got a number of phone calls yesterday including some surprises. Bulls GM John Paxson and head coach Scott Skiles paid a visit to Detroit's Ben Wallace yesterday, flying into Detroit to woo the four time defensive player of the year; it is unclear if the Bulls made the five-year offer they will have to make to get a serious audience with Ben. The 76ers have reportedly shown interest in grabbing Big Ben, and sources close to the situation say they would give Ben the 5th year he is seeking, but could only do so in a sign and trade, something Detroit would have to agree to, although the 76ers could make an attractive offer given their wealth of young studs. The word from the Pistons is they will make Ben their highest paid player at over $12 million next year on a four year deal, but the NBA’s over 36 rule, may limit them from offering a 5th year. The rule spreads out any salary paid to a player over 36, throughout the life of the deal, creating additional salary cap and tax penalties.

And Swift ain't stayin in Memphis it appears;

Memphis To Trade Stro: Informed sources near the Grizzlies say the club is exploring moving disgruntled Stromile Swift (once they officially obtain him on July 12th) – Stromile was included in the draft day trade that is sending Rudy Gay and Stromile to the Grizzlies in exchange for Shane Battier – Stro voiced some concerns about returning to Memphis a team he walked away from last summer as a free agent. Word is the Grizz are trying to find a taker on Stro’s remaining three years and $17.4 million.