I think it is time....

valponick

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats one expensive righty coming out of the pen.....I'm really sick of Vazquez s***ting himself after getting the lead. I really would not be disappointed to see him traded on the 31st.... :angry: Only problem is that he has little trade value.

Vazquez and prospects for Shields and Figgins would be a pretty sweet little deal. If we had to take on some of Weaver's contract (just to make the Angels happy, than thats fine too).

Put Mac in the rotation (somewhere he belongs and we can end that experiment and hopefully get him back to where he was last year, which was a pitcher that was pretty darn good).

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 06:59 PM)
Thats one expensive righty coming out of the pen.....I'm really sick of Vazquez s***ting himself after getting the lead. I really would not be disappointed to see him traded on the 31st.... :angry: Only problem is that he has little trade value.

Expensive or not, I'd rather see Brandon in there right now. He would do a better job.

And then when McCarthy struggles, it'll be time for someone else, maybe a trade.

And then if the guy the Sox trade for struggles, it'll be "what a horrible trade that was" and we'll all splooge all over the guy they traded away.

It gets old. You'd never guess this team was 52-27.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 07:17 PM)
And then when McCarthy struggles, it'll be time for someone else, maybe a trade.

And then if the guy the Sox trade for struggles, it'll be "what a horrible trade that was" and we'll all splooge all over the guy they traded away.

Except all the other starters proved they deserve a spot in the rotation b4 on the whitesox. And Brandon is young and people are willing to be patient with plus he should be better than what Vazquez is giving anyways. Just because a team is playing well doesnt mean there isnt room for improvement. Remember the goal is to win the WS not just make the playoffs.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
Except all the other starters proved they deserve a spot in the rotation b4 on the whitesox. And Brandon is young and people are willing to be patient with

Nobody is going to be patient when a pitcher under-performs for a defending WS champion team that's on pace to win 105 games halfway through the season. Garland and Garcia have already been ripped to shreds here. If B-Mac comes in and does the same thing, he'll get the same treatment.

plus he should be better than what Vazquez is giving anyways.

Sure, just like Jon should've pitched like he did last season. :rolly

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)

Well said.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
Vazquez and prospects for Shields and Figgins would be a pretty sweet little deal. If we had to take on some of Weaver's contract (just to make the Angels happy, than thats fine too).

Put Mac in the rotation (somewhere he belongs and we can end that experiment and hopefully get him back to where he was last year, which was a pitcher that was pretty darn good).

The Angels don't need him; their rotation is full with Colon, Lackey, Escobar, Santana, and the younger Weaver.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
The Angels don't need him; their rotation is full with Colon, Lackey, Escobar, Santana, and the younger Weaver.

If they get him, than it could open up the options for them to than go out and acquire Carl Crawford for one of there young starters (one of the Angels young starters).

QUOTE(valponick @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
Expensive or not, I'd rather see Brandon in there right now. He would do a better job.

What makes you think that? Javy has been fine as a 5th starter?

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
He has? We could've kept Duque if a 5.20 era is fine for a 5th starter. It sure would be a lot cheaper, and we could've kept Chris Young.

Yes, he has. He easts innings and keeps us in games. BMAC is more valuable as a set up man, and we have te 2nd best record in baseball.

I love BMac and all but if he's suddenly thrown into the rotation anytime soon, he's going to struggle. It's pretty damn hard for a guy to go 3 months adjusting to a relief role and then suddenly have to switch it up and be a starter again.

WIth hindsight, I really regret the trade. I wasn't all that excited about it to begin with as Mac was ready and I love Young. If we could deal Javy and his big contract for a very good reliever (not Duaner Sanchez but someone on that level) I would do it and move Mac to the pen. At least he's young so if he puts up the same numbers there is an upside of development

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 08:41 PM)
I love BMac and all but if he's suddenly thrown into the rotation anytime soon, he's going to struggle. It's pretty damn hard for a guy to go 3 months adjusting to a relief role and then suddenly have to switch it up and be a starter again.

I agree with this. I would just rather see him in there right now than Vazquez. I really don't think of Javy as a 5th starter, I guess I have to, it's just that his stuff/potential is so much higher. I really don't think we brought him here with the mentality that he would serve as an adequate 5th starter, I think he was brought here to solidify our rotation in such a way that we didn't have anything lower than a "3rd" starter in terms of quality.

It's just frustrating with him right now.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
Yes, he has. He easts innings and keeps us in games. BMAC is more valuable as a set up man, and we have te 2nd best record in baseball.

He's gone past the 6 inning 4 times this year. Two of those times came against the pathetic Royals. I'm not advocating moving him to the 'pen. But, for what we're paying him, combined with what we gave up to get him -- he's been a bust.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)
He has? We could've kept Duque if a 5.20 era is fine for a 5th starter. It sure would be a lot cheaper, and we could've kept Chris Young.

Good point. When you trade a top 25 prospect in all of baseball, and are paying a guy close to $10 million bucks, you expect a little better than a 5.15 ERA. This is getting pathetic -- that pitch to Aramis was absolutely BRUTAL, Juan Pierre probably could've hit it out. Ditto his pitch to Ramirez in the first inning, breaking ball over the inner half of the plate.

I'm willing to give Vazquez a little more time, as everybody can see he has pretty decent pure stuff. But, if this continues into his next couple starts, putting McCarthy in the rotation needs to be explored.

Oh, and I'll puke if anybody points to Javy's eight wins as a measure of his 'success'....

----------------

Boy, Jason, I'd be all over any move that brought over Scot Shields. The Sox could really use a dominant right-handed setup man...

Everyone here keeps saying "We have 52 wins so who cares that Vazquez has a 5.20 era." Well, thinking ahead, we are going to have to run one of Vazquez Garland or Garcia out there in the playoffs in GAME 3!! and I think that there is a decent chance all of them have 5.00 ERA's at that time. That is concerning, not to mention that Vazquez has been getting pounded by mediocre, NL Central teams lately, I dont think that he can hold up against the BoSox or Yanks, that is the problem here.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
Good point. When you trade a top 25 prospect in all of baseball, and are paying a guy close to $10 million bucks, you expect a little better than a 5.15 ERA. This is getting pathetic -- that pitch to Aramis was absolutely BRUTAL, Juan Pierre probably could've hit it out. Ditto his pitch to Ramirez in the first inning, breaking ball over the inner half of the plate.

I'm willing to give Vazquez a little more time, as everybody can see he has pretty decent pure stuff. But, if this continues into his next couple starts, putting McCarthy in the rotation needs to be explored.

Oh, and I'll puke if anybody points to Javy's eight wins as a measure of his 'success'....

----------------

Boy, Jason, I'd be all over any move that brought over Scot Shields. The Sox could really use a dominant right-handed setup man...

Tell 'em, Keith. Anytime I say something about Javier I'm just "overreacting."

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Look at the way people dogpiled on Anderson so far and he hasn't even been up for a full season yet.

Hell, these are the same people that were on the "Trade Crede" train for the longest time too but conveniently missed eating their crow on that one.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)

Bmac has been pretty damn good as of late in the pen, he's definitely settled in. I do love your idea though, it's actually something the 5 of us talked about in Cinci a lot(trading one of our starters for a top notch reliever and getting Mac into the rotation).