The guy who "threw" the ball back on the field

drowninginflame

Nice job of screwing up your lame tradition, ( he really wanted to keep the thome ball and cuddle with it at night) also the garbage on the field was bush league too.

A few other points I would like to make while I have the floor:

Wrigley field is impossible to navigate, trying to find your seat in that place is a nightmare and the old guys who work there kept yelling at us about having our beer on the rail, "you can't have your cups on there HERE or they'd stress AT THIS PARK"

And, the women on both sides of town were out in force and not much to wear, thanks for that ladies.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Throwing the balls back onto the field while almost hitting players is bad and now their throwing garbage on their own field? They just hit a new low. How ignorant. I mean the groundscrew had a squad of about 7 or 8 people and they kept throwing s***? What assholes.

As funny as it seemed, you speak the truth. It really was sickening. If ever we have something to criticize and detest Cubs fans about, it's this.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 12:28 AM)
I'll maybe give them a tiny bit of credit for actually showing that they maybe care about and are maybe getting sick and tired of the horrific product that they have to see on the field...And that place is a s***hole anyways...

its called "stop buying tickets"

I find it interesting how so many Cub fans stand by their park being the greatest in baseball, but then they go and throw garbage on the field. This wasn't a new thing for them to do. But ya know, when I really love something the last thing I ever want to do is make it look like crap. I know the organization does that daily by marching these nippleheads out there, but the fans really don't need to help make the place look like trash.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 08:00 PM)
I find it interesting how so many Cub fans stand by their park being the greatest in baseball, but then they go and throw garbage on the field. This wasn't a new thing for them to do. But ya know, when I really love something the last thing I ever want to do is make it look like crap. I know the organization does that daily by marching these nippleheads out there, but the fans really don't need to help make the place look like trash.

I wish if it happened again, even if it took 2 minutes to clean up, the umpires would have the balls to call the game a forfeit. For the life of me, I can't see how throwing garbage onto the playing field is tolerated. Anywhere else, you are going to jail. The place is a dump. Friday there where gulls circling the outfield in the 9th, just like they circle the USCF lots after the cars clear out, and they try to pick at the leftover garbage.

Today I joined a group of friends chilling outside Wrigley Field on Sheffield. Never done it before, so I didn't know what to expect -- but it wasn't a terrible experience. Better than stepping inside the Urinal.

What made the experience worthwhile was AJ's homerun, and hearing the Sox fans let out a roar as it sailed over the bleachers and about twenty feet away from where I was standing. If FOX would have held a shot of the crowd on Sheffield they would have seen a large contingent of Cub fans screaming their asses off. In a way, I feel pity for them.

When the garbage began raining on the field shorty thereafter everyone within my vicinity felt it was justified. No one felt embarrassed as they should. These people would probably throw a brick on the field if given one.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 09:36 PM)
does garbage tossing mean the Cubs fans can't hold fans on the field over Sox fans anymore?

No. Unless someone threw themself onto the field. It really depends on how much coverage the incident receives in the media. Even now, I haven't seen any replays of how much or what exactly was thrown onto the field.

On the way home I was flipping between radio stations and caught a gem from Bruce Levine. In his mind, "typical Sox fans" were responsible for throwing trash on the field following AJ's HR. Mongo McMichaels (who I actually enjoy listening) justly ripped him. I don't know how that scenario makes sense, but Levine was obviously upset his team wet themselves.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)
No. Unless someone threw themself onto the field. It really depends on how much coverage the incident receives in the media. Even now, I haven't seen any replays of how much or what exactly was thrown onto the field.

On the way home I was flipping between radio stations and caught a gem from Bruce Levine. In his mind, "typical Sox fans" were responsible for throwing trash on the field following AJ's HR. Mongo McMichaels (who I actually enjoy listening) justly ripped him. I don't know how that scenario makes sense, but Levine was obviously upset his team wet themselves.

you're kidding about Levine, right? That's hilarious.

QUOTE(JoeBatterz @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 08:08 PM)
Not suprised that they threw trash on the field.
I remember Randy Meyer who was the closer for the CUbs who had pitched well enough the prior season to rate a poster day at Wrigley field. On his poster day Meyer not only pitched but pitched lousy enough to anger the Cub's faithful to throw their Meyer posters on to the field. That was funny! I'm not sure but I don't believe the Cubs ever reinstituted the poster giveaway.........

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 07:35 PM)
generalizing about all cubs fans is almost as bad as generalizing about all sox fans...

beat me to it.

i bet you guys didn't like it when there was an exact same thread at some cubs board about the ligue situation, now did you?

Stop being hypocrites.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 09:00 PM)

That's a great name for a band!

The Nippleheads

The Pointy Nippleheads

Nipplehead Johnson

:cheers

i actually think it was the right thing to do. actling like a jackass is one thing, but this team (the cubs) sucks and it's refreshing sorta to see fans who really give a damn about their team. but i also think if that happened at the cell it would be filed uner the "usual antics" by ESPN and the bunch

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
I'll maybe give them a tiny bit of credit for actually showing that they maybe care about and are maybe getting sick and tired of the horrific product that they have to see on the field...And that place is a s***hole anyways...

Come on. We all know what happened. 1 Cub fan was actually paying attention and threw something on the field. The rest of the Cubs fans thought it was fun and joined along.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 07:35 PM)
generalizing about all cubs fans is almost as bad as generalizing about all sox fans...

Agreed. I'd like to think that not all Cubs fan throw trash on the field, just like all Sox fans don't run onto the field.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
beat me to it.

i bet you guys didn't like it when there was an exact same thread at some cubs board about the ligue situation, now did you?

Stop being hypocrites.

Ligue is a NASCAR fan who ran on the field and attacked the umpire one time.

Hundred of Cubs fans have been throwing trash onto the field at least once a year.

Finally, the Tribune and other media idiots don't cram the trash throwing incidents, Dodger bullpen brawl, or Randy Myers incidents down Cub fans' throats like they do with Ligue and Sox fans.

You guys forgot to mention how after he threw the fake ball onto the field, in typical cub fan fashion, he got on his cell phone.

Edited by santo=dorf

I wouldn't generalize an entire fanbase off of two fans.

But I'll say this -- it's easier to make generalizations about a fanbase after several hundred fans are throwing trash on the field. I'm not going to believe we're dealing with four year old kids who merely mimmick what they see without realizing the consequences. These people were fed up with their team and took advantage of the situation to throw s*** on the field.

Are all Cub fans trash throwing ass-clowns? Obviously not. But you'll be hard pressed to find many who opposed the incident. This is the key difference. I'll repeat it again for clarity -- it's not that all Cub fans throw garbage, but how they feel it's justified. Read their MLB and ESPN message boards. No matter what you think of the posters who frequent the boards, they're typically a fair representation of what most fans believe. Difference between Ligue and this is the percentage of Sox fans opposing the incident is far above those of our North side counterparts.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 01:58 AM)
You guys forgot to mention how after he threw the fake ball onto the field, in typical cub fan fashion, he got on his cell phone.

The cell phone is no longer a Cub fan stereotype.

That 400-pound jag behind home plate in the Sox jersey couldn't get off his f***ing phone yesterday, either.

Every douche in the world hops on their f***ing cell phone to call home to check that "they're on TV".

Hey, you f***hole, you're NOT "on TV", you're in the f***ing BACKGROUND of something on TV!!!

Edited by The Critic