All-Star Selections Thread

aboz56

ahh i finnally saw somethin on it its said to be Dye, Ortiz, Howard, Glaus,David Wright, and then one more is up in the air,,,Zambrano??? Zambrano said. "My first year, two years ago, I enjoyed that. My family did also. Hopefully, I can be in the Home Run Derby."

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 07:34 PM)
I hope Guillen purposely puts Mariano Rivera in the 6th inning just to hear people complain. Baseball Tonight crew (namely Phillips) made a point of having him close the 9th. "No respect to Bobby Jenks," though.

Have him start and pitch 3 innings, or better yet, papelbon. :finger

I still love Jeff Brantley's reasoning for Nomar being an All-Star, he said that Garciaparra brings versatility, he can play 1B, SS or LF. If Nomar ends up making the team and Garner plays him at SS, Grady Little will kill him.

I really don't think the Derby is responsible for Abreu's sudden loss of power, Konerko possibly but Abreu I doubt. The guy hit 6 HRs post AS break last year and has 8 thus far this season, that's only 14 HRs over 151 games.

Blaming the HR Derby for his loss of power would be like blaiming the tipping of pitches for every sucky Buehrle outing. At some point you have to look to other factors because the one you're using as your scape-goat just doesn't make sense anymore.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 01:07 AM)
I really don't think the Derby is responsible for Abreu's sudden loss of power, Konerko possibly but Abreu I doubt. The guy hit 6 HRs post AS break last year and has 8 thus far this season, that's only 14 HRs over 151 games.

Blaming the HR Derby for his loss of power would be like blaiming the tipping of pitches for every sucky Buehrle outing. At some point you have to look to other factors because the one you're using as your scape-goat just doesn't make sense anymore.

I'm not talking about power but I do think it can mess with a players swing for a while.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 01:14 AM)
I'm not talking about power but I do think it can mess with a players swing for a while.

You don't think pro players have mini home run derbys of their own during BP? Maybe they don't but I would imagine they do, especially the guys on the White Sox.

Schilling can go f*** himself and so can the Red Cub nation. They voted in a 250 f***ing hitter. When you decide to vote in trash because he is one of your beloved Red Cubs, the you can f***ing cry when your precious little bloody sawx moron doesnt get in. Schilling over values himself, and he can go to hell.

Hafner is not having a better year than either Konerko or Thome. So he can eat s***, and so can the Tribe fans who think otherwise.

And to the tiger fans who for whatever reason inhabit this board. Take your b****ing and whining and self importance elsewhere. I could care if you feel that Jimmy is a better person and would take x player because of his neutralism.

Ozzie saw Verlander 2 times. He got hit pretty well both times. Dye deserves to go over Magglio.

I think its awsome that Ozzie took his team. The yanks and red cubs have been doing this for years. Now we do it, and we are the bad guys. Pound sand.

Lets vote AJ in and make it a lucky 7.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 02:46 AM)
Schilling can go f*** himself and so can the Red Cub nation. They voted in a 250 f***ing hitter. When you decide to vote in trash because he is one of your beloved Red Cubs, the you can f***ing cry when your precious little bloody sawx moron doesnt get in. Schilling over values himself, and he can go to hell.

Hafner is not having a better year than either Konerko or Thome. So he can eat s***, and so can the Tribe fans who think otherwise.

And to the tiger fans who for whatever reason inhabit this board. Take your b****ing and whining and self importance elsewhere. I could care if you feel that Jimmy is a better person and would take x player because of his neutralism.

Ozzie saw Verlander 2 times. He got hit pretty well both times. Dye deserves to go over Magglio.

I think its awsome that Ozzie took his team. The yanks and red cubs have been doing this for years. Now we do it, and we are the bad guys. Pound sand.

:lol: Such an awesome post. :headbang :headbang

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 02:46 AM)

And with the first injury (no matter the position) Ozzie will be adding Crede giving the Sox 8 representatives.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 02:51 AM)
Isn't Cano hurt?

Wouldn't Gooch be an injury replacement for him?

I'm pretty sure that's how Jose Lopez got in. Cano and Rios are both injured and have already been replaced, not sure who took Alex' spot.

Well, Liriano is the toughest all-star question Ive ever seen. Theres no doubt in my mind that hes better than Beurhle, hes already pitched in relief this season, he may be the best pitcher in baseball right now. But seriously, Beurhle is the workhouse of the World Champions, Liriano only started 1/2 of the first half of the season, and he has yet to throw in a single meaningful game. For traditions sake, Id take Beurhle, but for the better chance to win, Id do whatever I could to get Liriano and Verlander in the game.

But seriously, arent we all glad that Mark Redman is getting the respect he deserves, FINALLY!

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 03:54 AM)
Well, Liriano is the toughest all-star question Ive ever seen. Theres no doubt in my mind that hes better than Beurhle, hes already pitched in relief this season, he may be the best pitcher in baseball right now. But seriously, Beurhle is the workhouse of the World Champions, Liriano only started 1/2 of the first half of the season, and he has yet to throw in a single meaningful game. For traditions sake, Id take Beurhle, but for the better chance to win, Id do whatever I could to get Liriano and Verlander in the game.

But seriously, arent we all glad that Mark Redman is getting the respect he deserves, FINALLY!

Hey, only Hawk can use sentences which speak in such definitive terms!

Reading Cowley's article just now I had to laugh. Guillen couldn't piss off more people if he tried. I love it. I knew prior to selections no matter who he picked, there were going to be people complaining. It's inevitable with fans voting in their favorites, often regardless of statistics, a manager selecting players over others would draw criticism. Especially for selecting his own teammates.

Here are some good quotes from Cowley's piece:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-stars03.html

Then again, the White Sox manager knew it was only the first wave of a potential weeklong tsunami.

"I already had a couple of phone calls, not nice ones,'' Guillen said. "A couple of teams called, but I could care less what they think.

"Whoever is not on this team, they have my number. They have my PR department's number. Whoever doesn't like it, play better next year.''

Guillen, however, said he is not done campaigning to get Crede on the roster.

"It will be one week, and if someone gets hurt, I don't care -- pitcher, catcher, outfielder -- Crede is going,'' Guillen said. "That's the way it's going to be. If anything happens to those 32 guys on the field and they can't make it, Crede is going and I don't care who gets mad.'

:lolhitting

Edited by Flash Tizzle

The reason people are pissed off is only because Ozzie stated beforehand that he would do this.

Every manager has picked his own guys, so all the "jilted" teams can f*** right off.

Besides, Ozzie is picking deserving members of the defending World Champs with the 2nd best record in MLB, so it's not like his picks are unwarranted.

I love our manager!