The Official Cliff Politte Sucks Thread

JenksForPrez45

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
That doesn't mean Cliff didn't suck. He's horrible with those bone chips. I don't care if every other player gave up 10 runs for us, the other guys have proven something good this year, Cliff has proven that he sucks this year.

yea, no doubt, but the game was lost way before Cliffy ever set foot onto the field.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)
Okay, I think we're going overboard a little here.

its not hard at all to see politte's fastball is down from 94-95 to 89-90 and that his slider is flattening out.....his fastball doesnt have much movement and when its only 90, its gonna get hit hard, even if its on the corners (ie pagan HR #1). judging by the stuff he has shown, id say hes injured, and if hes not injured, well, he simply not gonna be effective...get on the phones kenny

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)
Okay, I think we're going overboard a little here.

A little overboard? Wow. He has an 8.37 ERA. His WHIP is 2.11. His OBA (Opposing Batting Average) is an astounding .425. Opposing Slugging is .625 (I believe that might lead the league if he were a hitter). So let's not even say I'm going any bit overboard. If anything, I'm not going enough. This guy is trash.

Cliff will likely be put on the DL later this month and if tonite's stint by Tracey didn't scare the Sox too much (5.2 IP, 3 h, 4 r, 6 bb; 1-2 at the plate), he should be up. Montero has been hit around a little down there too. I expect Cliff to fade onto the DL for the rest of the year, but I doubt he'll get DFA'd.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 09:03 PM)
A little overboard? Wow. He has an 8.37 ERA. His WHIP is 2.11. His OBA (Opposing Batting Average) is an astounding .425. Opposing Slugging is .625 (I believe that might lead the league if he were a hitter). So let's not even say I'm going any bit overboard. If anything, I'm not going enough. This guy is trash.

Worse relievers with similar IP: Jorge de la Rosa, Chris Reitsma, Jim Brower (who was DFA actually)

Therefore, he's not the worst reliever in MLB. Sorry :P

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 08:12 PM)
Worse relievers with similar IP: Jorge de la Rosa, Chris Reitsma, Jim Brower (who was DFA actually)

Therefore, he's not the worst reliever in MLB. Sorry :P

De la Rosa is averaging more than 1 SO an inning, and his BAA is .269 (Cliff's is .425). No way in HELL is that worse. His WHIP is also under 2.0 (at 1.79).

Chris Reitsma also has a BAA much less than Polittes and a WHIP under 2.0 as well. Not worse.

And yes, Jim Brower was/is way worse, but if he was DFA then hes not in the MLB anymore.

Next? :P

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 09:16 PM)
De la Rosa is averaging more than 1 SO an inning, and his BAA is .269 (Cliff's is .425). No way in HELL is that worse. His WHIP is also under 2.0 (at 1.79).

Chris Reitsma also has a BAA much less than Polittes and a WHIP under 2.0 as well. Not worse.

Last I checked, WHIP doesn't calculate the runners which cross home plate. Since the point of the job of a reliever is to keep runners from scoring, a lower WHIP doesn't make the pitcher better. It merely means that they will be more likely to succeed in keeping runners from scoring since less runners will be on.

Also, who cares if their BAA is lower? Does that really matter if the runs cross home plate?

Wow, I can't believe I'm arguing this. I'm really, really bored.

If Cliff is even remotely hurt...he shouldn't even be given the opportunity to step on the mound...bottom line. I understand being loyal to your vets...but there comes a point where you say..."that's enough"...and Cliff has reached that point. Go get your goddamn shoulder surgery Cliffy and stop hurting the team.

Cliff Politte stood as one of the reasons why the White Sox couldn't fight all the way back. The right-hander allowed four runs on six hits in two innings, raising his ERA to 8.37. Manager Ozzie Guillen and pitching coach Don Cooper both are concerned with Politte's continued 2006 struggles, but they are not about to give up on finding a version of the pitcher with a 2.00 ERA in 2005.

"We know what he can do when he's right, and we've been waiting patiently until he gets right," Cooper said of Politte. "We need him. You saw the job he did last year, but unfortunately it's not happening right now. We're trying to get him back there."

:puke

What an incredible low Politte must be feeling right now. He knows he's pitched nowhere near what he's capable of, probably feels embarrased at times around his teammates, and knows he might be fired from his job at any moment. Cliff must be feeling great pressure from Coop, KW, and especially Ozzie, and sense that their patience with him is lessening.

He knows he is in danger of losing one of the best jobs there is.

Cliff, this might be the valley of your career, but your career's peak was one most players never experience. Not only did you win the World Series, but you performed an integral part of your team's ultimate success.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(Sox It To Em @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
You can't help but feel for Cliff. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, but just can't cut the mustard anymore. I'd like nothing but to see him recapture his 2005 self, but that doesn't seem likely.

I completely agree, but this is a professional sport where billions of dollars are spent by fans, and he just isn't cutting it right now. I'll never forget what he did, but its time to move on.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
What an incredible low Politte must be feeling right now. He knows he's pitched nowhere near what he's capable of, probably feels embarrased at times around his teammates, and knows he might be fired from his job at any moment. Cliff must be feeling great pressure from Coop, KW, and especially Ozzie, and sense that their patience with him is lessening.

He knows he is in danger of losing one of the best jobs there is.

Cliff, this might be the valley of your career, but your career's peak was one most players never experience. Not only did you win the World Series, but you performed an integral part of your team's ultimate success.

Agreed, but as I said before, its just not cutting it right now.