The Official Cliff Politte Sucks Thread

JenksForPrez45

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
See you in '07 Cliffie.

I honestly don't expect him to be in a whitesox uniform after this season. (esp. since his contract runs out after this) Jenks-Cotts-Riske-Thornton-Tracey (maybe) and someone from FA or trade probably since BMac will be in the rotation next season.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 12:58 AM)
Politte sucks. Last year was a fluke year. There was a stat last year showing he was the most dependent player on his defense. Well, if you keep the ball high, no way the defense will bail you out since the ball will be reaching the warning track at the very least.

I really don't think you can say last year was a fluke. He was absolutely DOMINANT last year. It's not like he was just getting "lucky" for the entire year. He was just unbelievable. Sometimes, players just can't do it two years in a row, they run out of gas. But I think its very unfair to say last year was a fluke.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 02:04 AM)
I really don't think you can say last year was a fluke. He was absolutely DOMINANT last year. It's not like he was just getting "lucky" for the entire year. He was just unbelievable. Sometimes, players just can't do it two years in a row, they run out of gas. But I think its very unfair to say last year was a fluke.

It was a fluke year because it was completely against his career norms. I don't agree with Nite that he was lucky last year however, he was just absolutely dominating last season. Cliff's been an avearge reliever all his career and last year was just a flash in the pan.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 02:10 AM)
It was a fluke year because it was completely against his career norms. I don't agree with Nite that he was lucky last year however, he was just absolutely dominating last season. Cliff's been an avearge reliever all his career and last year was just a flash in the pan.

I would call this year more the fluke, cause I highly doubt he's going to be this bad next season. IMO, he can get semi close to his career numbers from last year than he will this season unless he puts off surgery cause it's quite obvious he's not 100%.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 02:13 AM)
I would call this year more the fluke, cause I highly doubt he's going to be this bad next season. IMO, he can get semi close to his career numbers from last year than he will this season unless he puts off surgery cause it's quite obvious he's not 100%.

Well if he's healthy I completely agree but he seems to have lost something off his fastball. Relievers for the most part are just so hard to judge from year to year.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 12:13 AM)

I stray from a fluke (last year) simply because it was one of the few years in his career where he had back to back seasons where he was entirely healthy. Injuries have really bothered him throughout his career and prevented him from having some pretty good seasons.

Nothing as dominant as last season (thats really hard to do) but his stuff was pretty damn good. Now its pathetic and he can't locate it.

If Cliff gets healthy, I honestly believe that he will be back to close to '05 production.

He certainly has a better track record than many RPs that will be available in '07 free agency.

Stop throwing people under the bus so quickly.

Geez.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 04:59 AM)
The only real question is why he hasn't been designated for assignment... Hell we could bring up someone from our Great Falls team here and they could out pitch Cliff the gas can...

I'd be really surprised if he isn't gone soon. I think the only thing that's holding it up is a lack of a viable replacement. Politte has been much worse this year than Shingo last year and he was DFA'd, of course they had Jenks waiting in the wings. Ozzie likes Montero, that's scary, and it appears that regardless of what the spin is on it, that Tracey will never be a guy Ozzie will trust, if he even is given another chance. But like you said, any pitcher in the organization could give you what Politte gives you right now. Even some position players could give you what he gives you right now. His ERA last season was 2.01. He had never had an ERA below 3.66 in any season he pitched 30 innings until last year. His fastball has lost some zip. It was obvious he was due for a decline this season, but its still shocking the decline was this great.

Edited by Dick Allen