7/2 Games

danman31

Charlotte lost 5-3. Sweeney 1-5 in leadoff spot. Stewart 3-4 DHing and playing 1st base, interesting. Tracey even went 1-2. Unfortunately he wasn't as good on the mound and picked up the loss. Box Score

Barons won 7-4. Nanita, Aldridge, and Collaro (3 RBI) each had 2 hits. Lumsden 7 IP, 0 R, 3 K, 1 BB, 5 hits. Box Score

Hogs lost 7-5. Valido 2-5 with a HR. Russell rocked. Box Score

Kanny lost 15-5. Orlando 2-5 with a double and 2 RBI. Ricks 2-5 with a double and a run. Johnson 2-4 with 2 runs. The coolest name in our minor league system, Rafael Flores, got shelled. :( Box Score

Great Falls won 7-6 in 10 off a 3 run walk off shot by Lee Cruz. Reves also went yard. Box Score

Bristol lost 10-3. Daniel Jordan with his 2nd HR of the year. Box Score

He was a sleeper coming into this year because he was hurt all of last year.

Remember, Tyler was taken 4 picks before Gio. The talent is there, and, heck, he can throw both right and left handed, to appease everyone. :D

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
He was a sleeper coming into this year because he was hurt all of last year.

Remember, Tyler was taken 4 picks befoer Gio. The talent is there, and, heck, he can throw both right and left handed, to appease everyone. :D

Indeed. The fact that he missed all of last year with an injury even makes what he's doing this year even more impressive. And it's not like this is low or high a he's doing this in. The Southern League is pretty prospect-packed.

An imposing figure in the mound, Tyler Lumsden is oozing with potential. He’s been drafted twice, by the Marlins in the fifth round in 2001 and by the White Sox in 2004 with the 34th pick. Despite being injured and rehabbing, Tyler found the time to answer some questions from Sox fans and FutureSox.

FS: Has the success of a guy like Brandon McCarthy put any more pressure on you to succeed quickly? Mike, Michigan City, IN

TL: Hello to everyone....Brandon McCarthy is a great pitcher and has had great success at a young age. I don’t look at it as pressure to succeed as I do have a chance to learn something from him that may help me take the same path. Thanks Mike.

FS: Did you ever get a chance to rub Howard's Rock? (at Clemson University) Chris, Lubbock, TX

TL: I did get a chance to rub Howard's rock and enjoy the greatest 15 seconds of college football when the Tigers run down the hill

FS: I see that you grew up in Roanoke, VA. What’s it like growing up in a town with so much athletic history? Lots of great athletes come from that area, as you already know, I'm sure. Chris, Lubbock, TX

TL: Roanoke has produced many athletes in the past like Curtis Staples, George Lynch, J.J. Redick and Lee Suggs, just to name a few, and I have had to opportunity to either play or meet all of these. I think it helps in many ways such as what it takes to be at the next level, starting with you work ethic.

FS: Where did the nickname "Lump" come from? Chris, Lubbock, TX

TL: The nickname Lump actually started with my dad. That’s what he was called during his teenage years and then it just kind of carried over to me, coming from my friends in high school and then on to college. I know there is no "P" in my last name but sometimes it sounds like it and it has just stuck with me.

FS: Also, have you ever thought about throwing a pitch right handed in the middle of a game since you are ambidextrous or amphibious, as Yogi would say? I'm not even sure if it’s legal :-). Chris, Lubbock, TX

TL: I actually mess around and tease everyone that I want to throw right handed one day. One good thing during my rehab process is that I got to work on my right arm a lot. I have thrown bullpens just messing around but I don’t know if it will ever carry over to the game...but it’s a back up plan. I think the rule is you can switch hands during an inning but just not in the middle of the batter. Thanks Chris

FS: Many scouts compare you to Andy Pettite. What pitchers do you compare yourself to? What pitchers did you emulate growing up?

TL: I did watch Andy Pettite growing up. I always liked his game, his poise, and how he finds a way to win. I also grew up watching Glavine. I loved his control. When I got near college, I started watching Mark Mulder and Barry Zito ,who both are so talented.

FS: What is life like in rehab as compared to being with a team and playing?

TL: Life in rehab is a long process. It’s tough going to the field everyday knowing you’re not playing or throwing off a mound. I would have to say though that it makes you mentally tough which can help you when you get back out there again. It also puts things into perspective. Without a healthy arm as a pitcher you can't make it in this game. It makes your workouts that much more important and preparing your arm for the long season.

FS: Can you give us a quick overview on your repertoire, what pitches you throw, which pitch you feel is your best, a pitch that you are currently working on/developing, etc?

TL: I throw a four-seam fastball and two seam fastball, curveball, cutter, and change. Your fastball has to be your best pitch, as all your other pitches work off that. My change up has been developing and this past year was really my first year that I used it effectively. It can really make a difference and help limit your pitch count.

FS: What is life in the Minor Leagues like? Josh, Wilmette, IL

TL: Life in the minor leagues is a fun, but can be tough, life. Of course the higher the level the better the life. I look at it as you have to pay your dues to get where you want to be and this is part of it. Thanks Josh

FS: In the draft, did you go right where you expected to go? Also, were you happy the White Sox picked you, or were you hoping for a team that is closer to home?

TL: The draft is a funny thing. You always hear something different like he is going here or he is going there. I tried not to think about it very much, but then again, it’s your future. I was definitely happy with where I went. The White Sox are a great organization, and I couldn’t be happier with the position I am in. I got to visit Chicago when I signed and it was my first trip to that area. I like the big city environment and the passion the people of Chicago had for baseball.

FS: Tyler, can you take us through your rehab from the time the bone chips were taken out, to now? We are curious what they're having you do, and what you cannot do at this point. Did you experience any elbow problems in college, or was this kind of a surprise to you?

TL: I had some problems with my arm last year but it was nothing that I was really ever worried about. I had some MRI's taken but nothing really ever showed up. I thought rest in the offseason would take care of it. I started throwing in December and I had some tightness and soreness that I wanted to get checked out. I ended up having a chip in the back of my elbow and had arthroscopic surgery in January. I have rehabbing ever since with weights, conditioning, flexibility, and elbow exercises. I am now on a throwing program and I hope to be doing bullpens by the beginning of June and hopefully back in action sometime in June.

FS: Can you tell us which of your peers/teammates (pitchers) you're most impressed with? Whose "stuff" are you impressed with, who's got the best control?

TL: I don’t know if I can really just name one teammate in our organization. There is a lot of talent and prospects that have a great chance of being successful. Like I said earlier, in my first question, McCarthy is impressive in many aspects. The sky is the limit for him and having a chance to play with him some last year was a chance for me to watch and learn how to pitch.

FS: Would you agree with the line of thinking that all lefties are a little strange?

TL:I think lefties definitely have some different qualities about them. I used to get teased about many different things from wearing my hat a little to the side, to having that natural movement on some of my pitches, but I can tell you I wouldn't change hands for anything.

FS: Is it fun to read about yourself on the internet? Does it seem strange that so many people are interested in what you have to say?

TL: It’s weird sometimes to know that fans actually know about me. I try not to read too much because sometimes it is not always good things that are being said especially during some kind of slump, ha, but it’s always good to read questions like everyone’s on this site and knowing that fans care about what’s going on and how I am doing. I appreciate it.

FS: Who is your favorite baseball player of all-time?

TL: Favorite player of all time. Well, as a kid I would always follow Dale Murphy of the Atlanta Braves but as I got older and he moved on I started to really like a couple players. But for a pitcher I would say Randy Johnson, and position player I would say Pokey Reese.

FS: Pre-game meal?

TL: My pre game meal is usually the night before so I could eat a lot like a steak or ribs. Before the game I usually snack but I don’t eat too much.

FS: Say the Warthogs are out of pinch-hitters and they need a pitcher to go to the plate? Are you volunteering or running fast in the opposite direction?

TL: If they needed a hitter I would definitely step up to the plate. I am not promising I will connect very well but I can lay down a heck of a bunt.

FS: Finally, if you wanted White Sox fans to know one thing about you, what would it be?

TL: If they wanted to know one thing about me I would have to say that I am a great Madden football player on PS2. So if you’re ready, put your game face on...ha. Nah, but seriously I love this game and I love to win and I hope I can contribute in Chicago very soon. Thanks again for the questions. Take care everyone...Tyler Lumsden

We would like to send out our thanks to Tyler for this interview. We wish him to get well soon and continued luck with the Warthogs and the White Sox organization.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 08:17 PM)
Who was it that said Lumsden was a better prospect than Gio? Was it Jason? Anyway, good call. I'm not saying that Lumsden is better, but he's exceeding my expectations and then some.

That would be me. Lummy still has some strides to make, but it was no secret that he had the best left handed arm in our system. It was just a matter of staying healthy and he's done exactly that. Its pretty impressive considering this is his first full season.

Because of that the Sox need to be careful with him and I wouldn't be shocked if he slides into the pen eventually as they try to be careful with his innings (to kind of protect him).

I also think we may see him at the major league level at some point this year (out of the pen). But it may not be wise if he isn't going to have much of an impact cause there would be no reason to start the clock early.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
That would be me. Lummy still has some strides to make, but it was no secret that he had the best left handed arm in our system. It was just a matter of staying healthy and he's done exactly that. Its pretty impressive considering this is his first full season.

Because of that the Sox need to be careful with him and I wouldn't be shocked if he slides into the pen eventually as they try to be careful with his innings (to kind of protect him).

I also think we may see him at the major league level at some point this year (out of the pen). But it may not be wise if he isn't going to have much of an impact cause there would be no reason to start the clock early.

Slide him to the 'pen? They don't have to do that to protect him from overworking himself, IMO. Also, I'd like to see him complete atleast one full season at Bham before there's any talk of him joining the Sox.

TL: If they wanted to know one thing about me I would have to say that I am a great Madden football player on PS2. So if you’re ready, put your game face on...ha.

I like him alot. I'm a hell of a player myself.

Your on!!! :headbang

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)
Slide him to the 'pen? They don't have to do that to protect him from overworking himself, IMO. Also, I'd like to see him complete atleast one full season at Bham before there's any talk of him joining the Sox.

I am simply stating it may not be a bad idea late in the season if his inning totals are really building up. That said your right, as long as they are careful with his pitch count it won't be an issue.

I'm glad Lumsden is pitching well. Trust me when I suggest there's nothing I would love more than to be proven wrong with our pitching prospects. It only helps for contributing arms to emerge from within the system.

I recall when the Thome trade occured someone (whether it's Randar or Chisox) commenting on concerns with Gonzalez's small figure. Past injuries nonwithstanding, Lumsden has a 6'4 frame with a relatively easy delivery. Good future ahead if he can remain healthy; whether that's in the rotation or bullpen.

Comparing Lumsden and Gonzalez is interesting. It's as if both seem to have qualities the other doesn't. Lumsden has a better ERA (more than a run), 14 less walks, 10 less HR's allowed (although the park or competition may play a role) with merely 3 more innings pitched.

Gonzalez, however, has given up 10 less hits and struck out 48 more batters. Considering the difference in earned runs (11), it's surprising only 10 hits separates Gio from Lumsden. I'll take a guess Gio doesn't fare too well with RISP or other tight situations.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)
I'm glad Lumsden is pitching well. Trust me when I suggest there's nothing I would love more than to be proven wrong with our pitching prospects. It only helps for contributing arms to emerge from within the system.

I recall when the Thome trade occured someone (whether it's Randar or Chisox) commenting on concerns with Gonzalez's small figure. Past injuries nonwithstanding, Lumsden has a 6'4 frame with a relatively easy delivery. Good future ahead if he can remain healthy; whether that's in the rotation or bullpen.

Comparing Lumsden and Gonzalez is interesting. It's as if both seem to have qualities the other doesn't. Lumsden has a better ERA (more than a run), 14 less walks, 10 less HR's allowed (although the park or competition may play a role) with merely 3 more innings pitched.

Gonzalez, however, has given up 10 less hits and struck out 48 more batters. Considering the difference in earned runs (11), it's surprising only 10 hits separates Gio from Lumsden. I'll take a guess Gio doesn't fare too well with RISP or other tight situations.

The only thing that concerns me with Lumdsen is his strikeout rate. With his stuff I expected it to be better.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 2, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)

The Hoover Met I am sure plays a role in it. Reading's park is only 320 down the lines and 370 to the power allys. While the Met is 340 and 385 to the power allys. Oppostion is only batting .228 against Gio so I think the walks and park is most likely the difference. Still the Sox's got a big time power hitter who is having a great season so it was a great trade.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 12:32 AM)
The Hoover Met I am sure plays a role in it. Reading's park is only 320 down the lines and 370 to the power allys. While the Met is 340 and 385 to the power allys. Oppostion is only batting .228 against Gio so I think the walks and park is most likely the difference. Still the Sox's got a big time power hitter who is having a great season so it was a great trade.

the dude in my avatar hit two balls that seriously musta cleared all the trees down the left field line at the hoover met during the SEC tourny....and you are right, that stadium his huge

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
the dude in my avatar hit two balls that seriously musta cleared all the trees down the left field line at the hoover met during the SEC tourny....and you are right, that stadium his huge

who is the dude in your avatar?

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 06:03 PM)
pedro alvarez

I looked up his stats and holy cow. .329 with 22 HRs. 22 HRs?! As a freshman?!! He'd have to have a meltdown of Matt LaPorta proportions to fall out of the first round 2 years from now.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
I looked up his stats and holy cow. .329 with 22 HRs. 22 HRs?! As a freshman?!! He'd have to have a meltdown of Matt LaPorta proportions to fall out of the first round 2 years from now.

yeah, one of the chats on espn said he woulda gone first overall this year if he were eligible..... .456 obp with 57 walks in 260 ABs is damn good too