WhiteSox History

JoshPR

WhiteSox History 1954

Althrough they finished third again, the SOx had an outstanding season with both Minnie Minoso and Nelson Fox in the batting race and four pitchers in the top 11 in the league ERA rankings. Minoso (.320) finished second in hitting and Fox (.319) third with Minoso also hitting 19 homers and driving 116 runs. The final result was a 94-60 record, 17 games out. Paul Richards left to accept a general manager post in Baltimore and coach Marty Marion managed the team after Sept 14.

Primarily responsible for the good showing were Virgil Trucks (19-12) , Sandy Consuegra (16-3), Jack Harshman (14-8) and Bob Keegan (16-9). Consuegra led the league in winning percentage (.842) and was second in ERA (2.69) while Trucks, Harshman and Keegan all finished in the top 11. Injuries again sidelined Ferris Fain as well as third baseman George Kell and utility man Cass Michales who was beaned in Philadelphia, suffering a Doble skull Fracture

WhiteSox History 1954   

Althrough they finished third again, the SOx had an outstanding season with both Minnie Minoso and Nelson Fox in the batting race and four pitchers in the top 11 in the league ERA rankings. Minoso (.320) finished second in hitting and Fox (.319) third with Minoso also hitting 19 homers and driving 116 runs. The final result was a 94-60 record, 17 games out. Paul Richards left to accept a general manager post in Baltimore and coach Marty Marion managed the team after Sept 14.

Primarily responsible for the good showing were Virgil Trucks (19-12) , Sandy Consuegra (16-3), Jack Harshman (14-8) and Bob Keegan (16-9). Consuegra led the league in winning percentage (.842) and was second in ERA (2.69) while Trucks, Harshman and Keegan all finished in the top 11. Injuries again sidelined Ferris Fain as well as third baseman George Kell and utility man Cass Michales who was beaned in Philadelphia, suffering a Doble skull Fracture

God damn, they were 34 over and finished 17 games out of a playoff spot? Nowadays, that'll get you a wild card berth almost every year. Further evidence to show that there are FAR too many teams in MLB today. They need to get rid of at least 5 teams.

RE: The Cass Michaels beaning. No batting helmets. People often forget how much tougher it was to hit in those days. No batting helmets, so there really was the intimidation factor, and hitting backgrounds were terrible in just about every park. Lots of white shirts in center field bleachers. Now they are all closed off and with appropriately dark backgrounds.

I have a 1954 memory here, also. Cass Michaels started out as the regular third baseman. He was strictly a journeyman player his entire career, but that year he started out on fire. Then they traded for all-star George Kell from Detroit, and they had to keep him on the bench, because Michaels was so frigging hot. After a few days they benched Michaels anyway. Later he got beaned. I believe that was all in the same year, but I am trusting my own memory, which sometimes is a mistake.

The Sox equaled their pennant winning record of 59 with a 94-60 mark in the regular season and still finished 17 games behind Cleveland. Al Lopez was the manager for the choking Indians who were swept by the NY Giants. This is the WS made famous by the running, back to the infield, cap falling off his head catch made by the great Willie Mays. Virgil Trucks was the ace of the staff that year, as Billy Pierce had arm troubles and slipped to 9-10. He was still among the leaders in SO's per IP and managed to throw 4 shutouts. Agree with Clujer on the number of teams and the ease of making the playoffs. One of these days the WS is going to be played in a snowstorm and MLB will be a laughingstock. Oh wait it already is with Bud Lite and crew at the helm. Jim Fainter is exactly right in describing the background problems hitters faced in many ball parks in that era. It took Paul Richards a few years but he was partly responsible for the Orioles becoming a perennial contender starting in 1960.

;)

Al Lopez was the manager for the choking Indians who were swept by the Indians.

Huh!!! They swept themselfs?  :o

:lol: :lol: :lol: If I didn't edit myself it would be a real mess. My posts would read something like this 123@@%%^^$!!aglvlrmoPQ! I am the world's worst typist. I fixed it Josh, the Indians were swept by the NY Giants in the 1954 World Series. At least somebody noticed. You know I like reading this historical stuff. I was going to make a career change a while back and become a history teacher. Then I discovered how little interest most people take in the subject. The career change is still on hold. ;)

;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: If I didn't edit myself it would be a real mess. My posts would read something like this 123@@%%^^$!!aglvlrmoPQ! I am the world's worst typist. I fixed it Josh, the Indians were swept by the NY Giants in the 1954 World Series. At least somebody noticed. You know I like reading this historical stuff. I was going to make a career change a while back and become a history teacher. Then I discovered how little interest most people take in the subject. The career change is still on hold. ;)

One of my favorite sayings in life, and I can't remember who said it, but "Those who do not learn from their history are doomed to repeat it"

;)

One of my favorite sayings in life, and I can't remember who said it, but "Those who do not learn from their history are doomed to repeat it"

I believe the exact quote would be: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." The author was Spanish born American philospher Santayana. He is also the one who penned " There is no cure for and birth and death save to enjoy the interval." I have tried real hard to live this one but my favorite baseball team has made it very difficult at times.