Official Soccer Thread

Shorey is a good player and was going to say that I doubt he stays at Reading long, and could be a name to watch for being transferred to a top tier EPL club. Not only did he play good defense, but I can recall him being responsible for some of the better played balls on the offensive side. The FSC recap just said the same thing about the transfer to West Ham, because he wont resign with Reading, btu I have to wonder if a bigger club might just snatch him.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 12, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)
As far as I know, all the major leagues have 3 up and 3 down. EPL has 3, Ligue 1 ha 3, La Liga has 3, Bundesliga has 3, and Serie A has 3. Some have a playoff between the 3/4 teams and some have an automatic relegation/promotion if they are within/above a certain amount of points. It's 10 in most leagues.

Yeah, the lower leagues in England promote/demote 4. Otherwise you are right though.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 14, 2007 -> 08:53 AM)
Shorey is a good player and was going to say that I doubt he stays at Reading long, and could be a name to watch for being transferred to a top tier EPL club. Not only did he play good defense, but I can recall him being responsible for some of the better played balls on the offensive side. The FSC recap just said the same thing about the transfer to West Ham, because he wont resign with Reading, btu I have to wonder if a bigger club might just snatch him.

He would have been a good fit for Tottenham, but they went for Gareth Bale, who will probably be the best left back in the world in a few years, terrific striker of the ball.

$5-6M has been the quoted price, certainly very willing to pay that amount for him. I could see Newcastle coming in for him though which worries me, they missed out on Leighton Baines who went to Everton instead.

Also I have Newcastle finishing in the top 6 now after their performance at Bolton. I hate Fat Sam, but I think that team's going to do VERY well this season.

And Bolton hardly looked very good Soxfan1. Relegation material this season I think, and Sammy Lee could be the 1st manager fired during the season for mine.

I saw the Manu - Reading match. Reading decided to play for the point on the road, and just bunkered down. Now this usually doesnt work, because Manu attacks in waves and has some of the better close quarter passing in the EPL. What Reading did however, was to make sure that anywhere from the 25 yards and out, the minute Ronaldo got close they doubled him up and tried to keep him out on the flank. As Ronaldo goes, so does Manu. Rooney is a great finisher, and a brute with his size. But on the ball he doesnt have the creativity to break down multiple attackers. Ronaldo in space can. The Tevez move might seem like a move of the rich, but its a move of necessity. Giggs and Scholes who provide some balance on the attack are getting old. Giggs is a step slower, and his shot selection over the last year has been poor. Alan Smith is not the answer, and Saha or Fletcher isnt as well. They should pair up Tevez with Rooney up top, and have Ronaldo as the attacking mid to be the play maker. It would make a big difference in their scoring capabilities. Ronaldo can break down the defense, and have it collapse on him, while Tevez and Rooney break on goal. The one thing that Marcus did in goal against Manu was to keep the rebounds to a minimum. Manu is a opportunistic offense, they crash on goal, and have a hard strike that usually gets blocked by the goallie by gets kicked out to a runner for he put back.

To me, its going to be an interesting race.

In the SPL, not so much of a race as the Bhoys will take home the league once again.

I've heard that there are several ways -- some without paying (wink wink nudge nudge) -- of watching Champions League and Premiership games online. If anybody knows of any websites that are convenient and easy to use, feel free to PM me -- it would be greatly appreciated.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 14, 2007 -> 10:02 PM)
Anybody know if Freddy Adu has played for Benifica (sp?) yet? I know their club had a CL game today, I was wondering if he saw any time.

He came on in the 38th minute. Here's the best match report I could find in regards to Adu, but it doesn't mention much about him.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 03:23 AM)
FSC has quite a few of the games on live every week (and replays of a lot of them too). If your like me, who stays off of any soccer website its pretty easy to just watch your replays (cause I don't know the outcome of the games yet when I see them).

I have FSC and it's fine but I head to school next Friday and won't have FSC up there, as Marquette makes sophomores stay in dorms. I've found the website(s) that I needed to find, hopefully I'll be able to catch Liverpool's first leg against Toulouse tomorrow.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 15, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)
Chelsea played like absolute horse-s*** in the first half, yet in a five minute period in the second half, they've taken the lead on Reading 2-1. Amazing...

Chelsea, along with Real Madrid and Barcelona, are so loaded with talent, that they cannot be discounted from any game with any deficit. In a matter of minutes, they can turn it on and blow a team away. It's ridiculous. Whats really amazing about Chelsea, is that, for a team with world class players coming in and out all the time, they play with great communication and understanding. Through passes and runs and everything.

These neon yellow jerseys are quite interesting though. :lol:

EDIT: Bolton loses again. They look terrible. :crying

None of the presumed top 4 played today, although Everton / Reading was an interesting match. Im a big fan of Arteta for Everton and think he really has a nice style of play although he lacks top flight speed. Reading's defense has looked good all year and Bikey (a bigger british guy) played a good match marking Johnson.

Tomorrow Chelsea v Liverpool, which should be a good one. Im picking Liverpool in this one.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 10:47 PM)
Tomorrow Chelsea v Liverpool, which should be a good one. Im picking Liverpool in this one.

Gerrard is probably going to play even with the fracture in his toe -- I hope he takes it easy, I don't think he ought to be risking it during the second EPL match of the season. Is Chelsea fully healthy? Weren't both Terry and Essien hurt?

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 01:07 PM)
Yeah the pk kick was pretty brutal in a close match. It was an early season match and you could tell both teams were still feeling each other out.

Didnt get to see ManU this weekend, but I hear they are struggling.

0-1-2

Worst start in 15 years

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 07:07 PM)
Yeah the pk kick was pretty brutal in a close match. It was an early season match and you could tell both teams were still feeling each other out.

I believe the ref who made the call has been suspended for next weekend's games, or at least I though I saw that on Sky Sports.

It's just a shame to get such a class goal from Torres and then have Chelsea get a lucky BS call for a PK.

Ah well...

Yeah Rob Styles won't be refereeing in the EPL for a month. Terrible penalty call, and Chelsea certainly got lucky.

And Man United are in trouble. They can't play 4-4-1-1 with Tevez up front, because he needs support, and he can't hold the ball up on his own against 2 bigger central defenders. Losing Rooney and Saha has really hurt them big time. Liked what I saw out of Nani though.

I'm watching the US U-17 play Tunisia in the U-17 World Cup. Tunisia just got awarded their 2nd penalty of the first half. The 2nd one was seriously one of the crappier calls ever. It was probably a foul, but it was unintentional and the player was in the back corner of the box. He was so far from a scoring position that it's not even funny. Let the players decide it, not your f***ing whistle ass.

I hope this ref never gets to ref another game, what a freaking crime.

A few interesting games this weekend.

Arsenal - Man City has 0-0 written all over it. Man Utd play Tottenham, and if Spurs lose, Martin Jol could be sacked. Always find a way to shoot themselves in the foot Tottenham.

Liverpool has to go to Sunderland in the early game. They should win, but Spurs should have won there on opening day.

West Ham at home to Wigan, another game we "should" win, but Wigan's actually been in decent form.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 23, 2007 -> 10:38 PM)
A few interesting games this weekend.

Arsenal - Man City has 0-0 written all over it. Man Utd play Tottenham, and if Spurs lose, Martin Jol could be sacked. Always find a way to shoot themselves in the foot Tottenham.

Liverpool has to go to Sunderland in the early game. They should win, but Spurs should have won there on opening day.

West Ham at home to Wigan, another game we "should" win, but Wigan's actually been in decent form.

Ain't it the truth.