Official Soccer Thread

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Aug 25, 2007 -> 08:03 AM)
Ain't it the truth.

I have to admit, I was one of those who predicted Spurs would crack the top 4 ahead of Arsenal coming into this season, with the buys they had (even though I think they massively overpaid for Darren Bent).

But they are really lacking something in central midfield, and losing Michael Carrick really hurt them. And they don't have much creativity in the midfield when Aaron Lennon isn't playing. And with the Berbatov - Jol feud, it's hard to see Dimitar regaining his form of last season.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arsenal won 1-0, late goal from Fabregas, still undefeated in the EPL this season.

We drew 1-1 with Wigan at home. Terribly frustrating game, but we came back from a goal down.

Liverpool had an easy 2-0 win over Sunderland. I'm impressed with Liverpool so far, they really dominated possesion, and I give them a real chance of winning the league this season.

No Ive only been watching EPL mainly, I tried to watch some La Liga but goal tv sucks huge and screwed up both the Real Madrid and FC Barcelona match. I did see the Sevilla game for a second where the guy almost died in one of the freakiest things ive ever seen.

Man U finally won, Nani, Tevez, and Ronaldo will be pretty formidable once they all start playing together (Ronaldo still suspended from a red card and Nani has only played sparingly outside of yesterday, Tevez missed the first game). Not to mention Rooney is down, so things arent so bad at Old Trafford.

It was a really messed up scene. The guy just goes from running /standing, to on his knees, to on the ground. Then you see another player trying to open the guys mouth so that they can pull his tongue out. The announcer is yelling "Hes swallowed his tongue" and you can see that his teammate is really struggling to try and get his mouth open. The medics run on the field while play is going on the other side of the field, a few seconds later, the guy is standing up walking and gets removed from the game. He walks off the field on his own power, and everything seemed fine.

But I guess now it appears the guy suffered subsequent heart failures. Ive never seen anything like it in any sporting event. No contact, the guy just went straight down.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Aug 28, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)
It was a really messed up scene. The guy just goes from running /standing, to on his knees, to on the ground. Then you see another player trying to open the guys mouth so that they can pull his tongue out. The announcer is yelling "Hes swallowed his tongue" and you can see that his teammate is really struggling to try and get his mouth open. The medics run on the field while play is going on the other side of the field, a few seconds later, the guy is standing up walking and gets removed from the game. He walks off the field on his own power, and everything seemed fine.

But I guess now it appears the guy suffered subsequent heart failures. Ive never seen anything like it in any sporting event. No contact, the guy just went straight down.

Just 22 years old and his wife is 6 weeks from her due date of their first child. So very sad.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 29, 2007 -> 05:14 AM)
Just 22 years old and his wife is 6 weeks from her due date of their first child. So very sad.

Yeah it's just a tragedy. And the player was a very good one as well, think he was linked to Arsenal last season. Just puts things into perspective, how a healthy 22 year old can suddenly lose his life in such unfortunate circumstances.

Hopefully the wife and the child will be looked after. I can't imagine what they'd be going through right now.

• 5 months later...

This isnt Euro soccer, but for those interested Ivory Coast, Egypt, Ghana and Cameroon have advanced to the semis in the 2008 African Cup of Nations. In the meantime, Samuel Eto'o (CMR) has broken the career goals record for the tournament and Malian forward Kanoute has been named African footballer of the year, beating out Eto'o and Didier Drogba for the honor

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
This isnt Euro soccer, but for those interested Ivory Coast, Egypt, Ghana and Cameroon have advanced to the semis in the 2008 African Cup of Nations. In the meantime, Samuel Eto'o (CMR) has broken the career goals record for the tournament and Malian forward Kanoute has been named African footballer of the year, beating out Eto'o and Didier Drogba for the honor

Kanoute had a great 2006-2007 with Sevilla and has been great in the UEFA/African Cups as well, it's well deserved, and beating out Eto'o and Drogba is quite the accomplishment.

Kanoute's really come on as a footballer since he left West Ham and then Tottenham to go to Sevilla.

Juande Ramos took him to another level. And now he's managing Spurs.

Arsenal's 2 points ahead of Man Utd in the Premier League now as well.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 03:55 PM)
Kanoute's really come on as a footballer since he left West Ham and then Tottenham to go to Sevilla.

Juande Ramos took him to another level. And now he's managing Spurs.

Arsenal's 2 points ahead of Man Utd in the Premier League now as well.

GO You GUNNERS!!!

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 12, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
Arsenal is a team with pure unity, they love playing together. The media gave them no chance, it looks like the Thierry Henry departure was great for them.

Cesc Fabregas is one of the most underrated players in the world. I heart him.

I'm upset I haven't had the chance to follow the EPL this season. Damn cable.

I'd say Fabregas is one of the top 5 players in the world actually SoxFan1.

His standing in England has risen HUGELY this season.

Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka and Fabregas argubly the top 4 players in the world right now, and they're all 25 or under.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 04:52 PM)

Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka and Fabregas argubly the top 4 players in the world right now, and they're all 25 or under.

I believe Fabregas is 20!!! I think the best player on Arsenal is Kolo Toure.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 05:52 PM)

I know he's definitely one of the best in the world, but I haven't been able to follow the EPL much this season so I'm not really sure of the reception he's been getting. I loved him since the 1st time I saw him with Arsenal but he was greatly overshadowed by Henry last year. I agree with those as top 4 100%.