Official Soccer Thread

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't be surprised if Mexico ends up in 1st place of this group after it's all said and done,the 3 games left are very winnable and Vasco Aguirre has them playing at another level.

This is not the same Mexican team that we saw at the begining of the tourney...they're baaaack!

France drawing with Romania tonight 1-1 really helped Serbia's chances of winning the group. If Serbia wins on Wednesday, we're in the World Cup, and most likely, Domenech is out. They really don't like him right now. Ribery and Malouda coming off the bench?

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Sep 5, 2009 -> 11:46 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised if Mexico ends up in 1st place of this group after it's all said and done,the 3 games left are very winnable and Vasco Aguirre has them playing at another level.

This is not the same Mexican team that we saw at the begining of the tourney...they're baaaack!

I thought you didn't give a s*** about soccer?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 01:32 AM)
France drawing with Romania tonight 1-1 really helped Serbia's chances of winning the group. If Serbia wins on Wednesday, we're in the World Cup, and most likely, Domenech is out. They really don't like him right now. Ribery and Malouda coming off the bench?

France really screwed themselves with that result. Basically a tie for Wednesday will make it nearly impossible for France to qualify directly.

Serbia 1:1 France. Tough game all around, both teams battled their tails off. Serbia has far more chances, but it just goes to show that our main weakness is a strong finisher. Zigic is great in certain offenses, but his big, slow frame just doesn't fit with what we do unless it's on a set piece or on a corner because of his size and amazing heading ability.

France got screwed over at the beginning with their goalie getting a red card that resulted in a penalty for Serbia and the 1:0 lead early. Even still, the referee was absolutely brutal. He sent off Danko Lazovic late with a red card for dissent, which was ridiculous. It was a physical game that Serbia should have won, especially considering the goal by Henry was just a stupid mistake by the goalie Stojkovic. Great game. The fate of the group still sits in Serbia's hands with their last 2 matches at home against Romania and at Lithuania while France finishes with 2 home matches against the Faroe Islands and Austria.

Terrible showing by the US. Great game by Donovan though. And Clark had a tremendous shot to give us the win.

Some interesting results elsewhere as well, including weaklings Faroe Islands picking up a win and Liechtenstein a draw.

Cameroon beat Gabon again to go ahead in their group. I really hope they advance. I'd love to see Eto'o, Song, Geremi, Makoun, M'bia et al in the WC.

Serbia and Slovakia appear primed to go to their first ever WC. Meanwhile, Portugal, Turkey and Czech Republic are in a whole lotta trouble.

In South America, Chile appears ready to advance for the first time in many years and Argentina has put themselves in a tough situation with their loss to Paraguay. Imagine if they did not qualify. That'd be strange having a WC without them there.

Oh and did anyone see the finish to Saudi Arabia-Bahrain? Wow. Tied 1-1 in stoppage time, Bahrain appeared ready to advance (playoff with NZ to determine the WC spot) on away goals. Then SA scores about a minute and half into stoppage time. The Bahraini bench was shocked and the Saudi crowd (what was with the masks?) went nuts. Then a minute later with probably only seconds left, Bahrain wins a corner kick and heads the ball in to make it 2-2. The complete change in fortunes twice in less than 5 minutes was ridiculous. If Bahrain is able to beat NZ that would be there first appearance in the WC too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

USA beat Cameroon 4-1 at the U-20 World Cup today. The goal differential was huge because they now sit 2nd in the group, ahead of Cameroon on GD by 1. South Korea is the last game. The US is pretty safe to get through to the next round barring a semi-disaster, since 4 of the 6 3rd place teams move on. This US team doesn't have anywhere near the talent of the '07 team that had Jozy, Adu and several others I think will have strong careers for the national team, but maybe they can make a little noise.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
USA beat Cameroon 4-1 at the U-20 World Cup today. The goal differential was huge because they now sit 2nd in the group, ahead of Cameroon on GD by 1. South Korea is the last game. The US is pretty safe to get through to the next round barring a semi-disaster, since 4 of the 6 3rd place teams move on. This US team doesn't have anywhere near the talent of the '07 team that had Jozy, Adu and several others I think will have strong careers for the national team, but maybe they can make a little noise.

It's exciting watching these young guys play though, knowing that these are future MNT players.

Is there any doubt that Cameroon's "Banana Yaya" is the best name in the tournament?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 08:31 PM)
Semi-disaster struck. 3-0 loss to South Korea. Got help from Germany and beat out Cameroon for 3rd so there is still a slim shot that they can get through, but I'm not sure I want to see this team play again.

It's probably a toss up if they get through since England sucked it up today. Looks like it will come down to if Costa Rica can beat the Czechs. If not, we'll be matched up against Egypt which would be entertaining since they are the hosts. But this team isnt that good really so it would just be another multi goal defeat.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
It's exciting watching these young guys play though, knowing that these are future MNT players.

Is there any doubt that Cameroon's "Banana Yaya" is the best name in the tournament?

Sounds like an opening act for Lady Gaga or Bananarama.

THink I'll talk about the Brazil league's in here.

Corinthians is the team I root for because my sister-in-law's brother gave me a jersey. They are not very popular. All my roommatesa re Sao Paolo fans. Corinthians has Ronaldo.

Curitiba seems okay as well. I'll get back to you all .

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
Not that I know a lot about Brazilian soccer, but Corinthians is one of the, if not the most famous team in Brazil.

They're one of the most famous teams in South America. I don't follow South American soccer leagues at all but I've always known of Corinthians and Boca Juniors

Sucks that this weekend's game at Honduras that could send us to the WC wont be on tv here in the US unless you go to a sports bar. None in my area is showing it right now according to ussoccer.com but a few Chicago bars will but I'm sure that there will be mostly Honduran fans there.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 06:17 PM)
Sucks that this weekend's game at Honduras that could send us to the WC wont be on tv here in the US unless you go to a sports bar. None in my area is showing it right now according to ussoccer.com but a few Chicago bars will but I'm sure that there will be mostly Honduran fans there.

I agree, of course Honduras would sell the rights to the game to make an extra dollar. Bull s***

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 07:17 PM)

Wow that sucks. Any chance there'll be some stream of it online?