Official Soccer Thread

Don't most teams make their substitutions in the second half?Faking injury,that's something most teams do when they are ahead in the score so that means most games should have at least 4 minutes of stoppage time every game but the normal is to have 2 or 3 tops,but anyways,the USA did deserve to win the game,I'm not disputing that,they did it with a man short and if CR couldn't hold the lead in a basically do or die game,then they have no business winning.

I have no beef with the USA team,I just took issue with the jabs at Mexico,it irked me a bit,like say a Serbian American would take issue with someone slamming Serbia or with an Italian-American likewise if someone was talking crap about Italy,that's all,so sue me.

I'm not a huge soccer fan but my family is from Mexico,my wife is from Argentina so futbol is watched alot in my family whether I like it or not,anyone married will tell you who has control of the remote if you want to sleep in your bed at night :)

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 11:51 PM)
So now that the U.S have qualified, how far do you see them going in South Africa next year?

Can they get out of the group stages and into the 16?

If Davies is back and they get an average or better draw, sure. Without him, they are going to need some luck. Their forward depth is awful, but with Jozy and Davies at least they had 2 solid guys. Now, they have one and Conor Casey starting. Eww. I don't think of Onyewu as a major loss, but he is expected to be back anyway. I'm on the fence, I'll have a better guess when the groups come out.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 02:53 AM)
If Davies is back and they get an average or better draw, sure. Without him, they are going to need some luck. Their forward depth is awful, but with Jozy and Davies at least they had 2 solid guys. Now, they have one and Conor Casey starting. Eww. I don't think of Onyewu as a major loss, but he is expected to be back anyway. I'm on the fence, I'll have a better guess when the groups come out.

I think we can basically forget about Davies in South Africa next summer but how about moving Dempsey to the top? He did pretty well in the Confederations Cup in that role. When his head isnt up his ass his is a great threat for us, plus we wont have to worry about him turning the ball over at midfield. I'd put Jozy and Dempsey up top, Landon-Jones-Bradley-Torres in the middle.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 01:59 PM)
I think we can basically forget about Davies in South Africa next summer but how about moving Dempsey to the top? He did pretty well in the Confederations Cup in that role. When his head isnt up his ass his is a great threat for us, plus we wont have to worry about him turning the ball over at midfield. I'd put Jozy and Dempsey up top, Landon-Jones-Bradley-Torres in the middle.

Do you mean Landon-Clark-Bradley-Torres?

Real shame about Davies. I agree about Dempsey 110%. IMO he is a much more effetive player when he plays up top as opposed to in the midfield. I'd definitely consider giving Robbie Rogers a look prior to the WC next June. He looked great the other day. And what ever happened to Eddie Johnson? We really could use another forward to step up.

Onyewu should be back in time and contrary to what someone said earlier I do think he's a big deal. Big target on corners and takes up a lot of space on the defensive end. He got beat the other day once but he's still one of our top 2 or 3 defenders IMO.

I like Rogers too. I wouldn't mind seeing Dempsey and Rogers at the wings behind Jozy. Something of a 4-2-1-2-1. 4 defenders, 2 defensive minded mids (Edu and Bradley), Donovan at attacking mid, 2 wingers and Jozy up top. It would depend on how well the team could execute that and I doubt Bradley would even go that offensive, but that's my first look tactic right now.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 16, 2009 -> 03:40 PM)
Maurice Edu will be back months before the World Cup. If Clark and Torres are in your rotation, a 100% Edu would certainly be a factor.

As should Kjlestan. I'm just basing off the past few months. To me Clark and Torres have looked good recently. of course if Edu gets healthy he should be starting and if Kjlestan and/or Beasley ever get their heads out of their ass they should warrant consideration for some PT as well.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 3, 2009 -> 01:31 PM)
It was nasty, but I still don't understand how the Spurs let it happen. That game was a real disappointment.

Spurs are starting to show that they're pretty much an average team.

They really struggle without Modric and Defoe.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 14, 2009 -> 07:54 PM)
New Zealand just qualified for the World Cup. Beat Bahrain 1-0 at home after drawing 0-0 on the road. It was a great atmosphere. This is the best part of the qualifying. All the tension and jubilation.

Yeah, first time they're really going to have 2 teams from Oceania in the WC, even though we're part of Asia now.

NZ won't do anything though, they'll be lucky to pick up a point in the group stages.

about a week late on this, but big win for Chelsea over Man U since they are going to be at least 2 major players short when the African Nations start, at least they got 3 points over one second place team.

Who's going to the Nations for them, Drogba and Anelka?(Sorry if spelling is off) I believe another major player... J. Cole is going to have to step up, but they need to get as many points as they can.

Edited by SoxFan562004