Official Soccer Thread

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 07:49 AM)
Doesnt the Gold Cup qualify you for the Confederations Cup or no?

That roster is awful. The forwards are pretty decent and having Adu in the midfield is good but the rest of the roster yuck. I would have liked to have seen players like Kljestan, Edu, Torres, Clark and even Eddie Johnson get some work.

As for the Spain game, just wow. Spain was the better team but we got the result. The defense did a tremendous of job of not letting the Spanish strikers get good looks but when they did Howard was great. What's awesome is how much coverage the MNT is all of a sudden getting in the media. Nice to see for a change.

This gold cup doesn't mean anything for the next Confederations Cup. The 2011 Gold Cup will determine who plays in the 2013 Confederations Cup. Which is why I like this roster so the younger guys get some playing time on the International level. Mexico is sending their B team as well.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, this Gold Cup doesn't matter. However, it's not the group of players I would send. Something closer to the Olympics roster would be more interesting. Dax McCarty, Danny Szetela, Chris Seitz. It's hard to get excited about the group they are sending, but I'll follow it. There are a few names worth following (Adu, Davies, Robbie Rogers).

A few months ago I had zero interest in the Gold Cup from the US perspective but now I'm curious because of the roster. I wished Torres and Edu were selected just to see them more. I dont see us competing for the title but atleast some new guys can get some playing time in an international setting.

I'm picking Canada to win it this year.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
Right, this Gold Cup doesn't matter. However, it's not the group of players I would send. Something closer to the Olympics roster would be more interesting. Dax McCarty, Danny Szetela, Chris Seitz. It's hard to get excited about the group they are sending, but I'll follow it. There are a few names worth following (Adu, Davies, Robbie Rogers).

Agreed on the Olympics type roster. Also, they need to realize that all of a sudden people are noticing soccer here in America b/c of the Confederations Cup right now. The Gold Cup is in the US. To me, it'd make sense to send at least some of your better players. Times like these are the time to capitalize on renewed interest in the sport.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 26, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)
A few months ago I had zero interest in the Gold Cup from the US perspective but now I'm curious because of the roster. I wished Torres and Edu were selected just to see them more. I dont see us competing for the title but atleast some new guys can get some playing time in an international setting.

I'm picking Canada to win it this year.

Edu is hurt.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 04:25 PM)
They stopped attacking, and instead tried to milk the clock.

I wouldnt say that. They used the same plan versus Spain and in the first half vs Brazil and it worked. Just happened Brazil finished in the second half and the US didnt really counter as well as they did.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
I wouldnt say that. They used the same plan versus Spain and in the first half vs Brazil and it worked. Just happened Brazil finished in the second half and the US didnt really counter as well as they did.

I meant in the second half after they got a lead.

Davies had a nice tournament. Going to be exciting to see if he can build off of this for the Gold Cup. But him not giving Landon the ball on a couple of counters in the second half was HUGE. Donovan was a beast these 5 games and he's got to know to give it up to Landon on the run.

That goal in the 46' was like a kick to the nuts.

Oh well.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 28, 2009 -> 04:09 PM)
Davies had a nice tournament. Going to be exciting to see if he can build off of this for the Gold Cup. But him not giving Landon the ball on a couple of counters in the second half was HUGE. Donovan was a beast these 5 games and he's got to know to give it up to Landon on the run.

Yeah, his development is huge. It's very nice to see the guys that have come up through the youth national teams in recent years (Davies, Bradley, Spector) do well because the youth teams have looked good on those levels. Davies is the 2nd forward the US needed with Altidore. 1 forward set ups don't work. Davies will get better, his decisions will improve. He has the speed and talent to do some serious damage.

Fail,who said I give a crap about the Mexican National team?

Nice try though thinking that because I'm Mexican-American I must root for Mexico like all Irish-Americans going for Ireland or all Polish-Americans going for Poland,right?Wrong!

By the way,Soccer is as exciting as watching paint dry,I rarely watch it cept when nothing else is on.:D

Whereas Team USA choking saddened you guys,I couldn't care less who goes or doesn't go to the WC :lolhitting

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 1, 2009 -> 11:56 PM)
Fail,who said I give a crap about the Mexican National team?

Nice try though thinking that because I'm Mexican-American I must root for Mexico like all Irish-Americans going for Ireland or all Polish-Americans going for Poland,right?Wrong!

By the way,Soccer is as exciting as watching paint dry,I rarely watch it cept when nothing else is on.:D

Whereas Team USA choking saddened you guys,I couldn't care less who goes or doesn't go to the WC :lolhitting

Then get the heck out of this thread.

I don't see why people feel so insecure about soccer to bash it so much in this country. If they don't like hockey, they don't watch and don't talk about it. If they don't like soccer, they feel the need to make fun of soccer and all who like it. I don't stand for it.