Joe Lieberman will run in the general.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 06:10 AM)
You asked for an example, I gave you one.

Want another? Fine. Ben Nelson (Nebraska)

He wants goals set. He doesn't want a deadline for troop removal.

His Iraq voting record is identical to Lieberman's in 06.

Hmm. First term office holder, won by 2% over his republican challenger. Ran unopposed in the primary in 2000, we'll see if he is unopposed when up for reelection. His power rankings in the house are a joke due to his inexperience.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/power_...ard.tt?id=10748

A blurb from the comments section:

• Too few terms or years in office in Congress to have significant clout

• Member has weak committee assignment or lacks significant committee influence due to member's minority party status.

Sounds like he has been welcomed with open arms.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not respecting the wishes of your own party makes you an assbag. If you don't want to be a Democrat anymore, just leave the party already - but playing it both ways and not being respectful of the wishes of the people who put you there in the first place... makes you an assbag.

He wouldn't be leaving the Party by running as an Independent. The party'd be leaving him.

I like Lieberman. I hope he beats his opponent, and I think it's time to stop cannibalizing Democrats who happen to support the War in Iraq and have an independent streak. I refuse to crucify Lieberman for having conviction, and I appreciate him as a good Democrat.

how about representing your constituency? whats wrong with that? lieberman deserves credit for being independant. his constituents elected joe lieberman, not the a puppet of howard dean and nancy pelosi. if they vote him out, only then can you call him off-base.

in conclusion, serving your constituency should always trump being a tool to the party line. its called freedom and democracy.

And if his consituency defeats him in the primary? Why should he run again? A lot of states have sore loser laws to prevent things like this from actually happening, by the way.

Joe Lieberman isn't getting challenged for where he stands on the Iraq war. Joe Lieberman is getting challenged because a lot of Democrats in Connecticut are sick and tired of Joe Lieberman. Lamont is a sensible guy, by no means a wing nut on either side. And he managed to get 35% of the state convention votes. Arlen Specter found himself in a tough primary fight because the Republican leadership found him distasteful - but you didn't see cries from the Dems about how the GOP cannibalizes their own. And you didn't see Arlen Specter say "I'm going to run as an Independent if I lose the primary because the party clearly doesn't want me here."

Chuck Schumer has gone out of his way to endorse Lieberman in the primary, by the way. Last time I checked he's the head of the DSCC. You have all of one Senator out of 44 who has supported someone other than Lieberman in the primary. You have sitting senators in the Dem leadership actively campaigning for Lieberman in the primary. That's clearly NOT the party kicking Lieberman out. So when you blame the party for kicking someone out, you're blaming the people of his party who decides that he doesn't represent them anymore. Not the leadership that so many of you can't seem to stop maligning. If he doesn't respect his people's decision in the first place, he should just stop being so indecisive about it and jump ship already.

And if he can't win the nomination of the people in his own party, he probably won't win in Connecticut in the general either.

Oh, and if you don't think the party stands behind Nelson - why don't you look and see what the DNC is helping to do with the party in his home state.

I don't really care if he runs again or not. I'm just shocked that people would vote for him.

From his open plans to censor music to his ideas about censoring concerts on criteria of things that he doesn't like -- it's scary. Also, this man is on the advisory board of the Parent's Television Council -- an ultra conservative organization that tries to take shows they don't like off the air instead of allowing Americans to choose what they want to watch + parent their kids themselves as to what they want to watch. I mean, if I don't like a show, I just turn the channel. Thank God for Joe Lieberman for wanting to take that choice out of my hand and advocating putting on only santized, government approved television stories. Cuz you know, killing countless thousands of people in Iraq is a thing that he supports. Yet he comes down on pixelated murder in a fantasy land on television as the worst skirge of American civilization. Cognitive dissonance much there, Joe?

It only gets funnier when you realize that the dad of the founder of the PTC actively demanded that we nuke Moscow during the Cold War. I wonder what TV show and video game L. Brent Bozell III's dad watched to come up with the mentality to justify that horrendously violent act! It had to be professional wrestling, Family Guy or playing Grand Theft Auto, right?

Most notoriously -- The group fingered "Smackdown!" as responsible in the deaths of four children, including 6-year-old Tiffany Eunick, who was killed by 12-year-old Lionel Tate in 1999. Bozell later retracted the PTC's statement, apologized and paid $3.5 million in damages when it was found that young Lionel had, in fact, been watching "The Flintstones." (and the three other deaths were also not related to wrestling in that the autopsy report said that the injuries were inconsistent with the 'wrestling' cause of death) The PTC also was forced to pay in the lawsuit because they lied about certain companies pulling advertising from WWE programs when said companies never advertised on WWE programming. The PTC also demanded that Family Guy be kicked off the air and were one of the groups involved in the show's initial hiatus. They're also the group that files the vast majority of the FCC reports of 'obscene' television.

Good to know Joe is part of such a fine and upstanding moral organization.

QUOTE(samclemens @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 07:45 AM)
how about representing your constituency? whats wrong with that? lieberman deserves credit for being independant. his constituents elected joe lieberman, not the a puppet of howard dean and nancy pelosi. if they vote him out, only then can you call him off-base.

in conclusion, serving your constituency should always trump being a tool to the party line. its called freedom and democracy.

So in other words, you also oppose the 2 Republican Senate primary challengers who are going after Chaffee and Akaka from the political right of both of those Senators (both of which btw are much more serious challenges than the one facing Lieberman, but the media doesn't bother reporting on those)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
So in other words, you also oppose the 2 Republican Senate primary challengers who are going after Chaffee and Akaka from the political right of both of those Senators (both of which btw are much more serious challenges than the one facing Lieberman, but the media doesn't bother reporting on those)

Akaka is not a Republican.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)

Lieberman might very well lose, actually.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
http://www.tpmcafe.com/blog/electioncentra...epting_gop_line

Apparently if Lieberman doesn't win as a Democrat, he'd consider running on the GOP line instead of the independent line.

Sounds like he's trying to get a feel for how much GOP support he'd get if he chose to go down that path. Given his voting record, character, and name recognition, I think that he'd get quite a bit.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
Sounds like he's trying to get a feel for how much GOP support he'd get if he chose to go down that path. Given his voting record, character, and name recognition, I think that he'd get quite a bit.

Which of course, is what this is all about anyway.

Update: Joe Rules out running as a GOP candidate

Edited by Balta1701

It just got interesting.

Businessman Ned Lamont had support from 51 percent and Lieberman from 47 percent of likely Democratic voters in the latest Quinnipiac University poll -- a slight Lamont lead given the survey's sampling error margin of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

Lieberman had led in a Quinnipiac poll last month, 55 percent to 40 percent.

The new poll suggests that Lieberman still could win a fourth term, even if he loses the Democratic primary Aug. 8, however.

Lieberman filed papers last week that will allow him to petition his way onto the November ballot. The poll found that among all registered Connecticut voters surveyed, including non-Democrats, Lieberman had the support of 51 percent, followed by Lamont with 27 percent and Republican Alan Schlesinger with 9 percent.

The telephone survey of 2,502 registered voters, 653 of them likely Democratic voters, was conducted July 13-18. The margin of error for the overall survey was plus or minus 2 percentage points.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
He's been givin' Mr. Bush lessons on how to sweet talk the ladies.

It hasn't been going well.

George isn't a very good learner.

But he's starting to get the hang of it. Bill told me that Bush recently said to his Education Secretary, "Rarely is the Question asked: is our children fishing?"

Clearly he's got a lot to learn.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 05:24 AM)

Interesting how that story, like quite a few others, points out that Hillary and Bill are both supporting Lieberman in the primary, but they leave out the other key fact...they've both pledged to support whoever wins the primary when they run in the general, regardless of whether or not Joe runs as an independent. (There are at least a few people who are wondering if Bill and Hillary may have made Joe not running as an independent if he loses a precondition for their open support in the primary, but that's just speculation, even if it would make sense.)

Prediction: If Lieberman loses the primary, he bows out within a week of his loss. From all accounts I've read, he's run a horrible campaign and isolated himself from his own party within his state. A lot of the negative Joementum has been his own fault this year. And this primary will be very close.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
From all accounts I've read, he's run a horrible campaign and isolated himself from his own party within his state.

Or perhaps his own party is throwing him under the bus because he refuses to join the anti-Iraq War crowd.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:23 AM)
Like Hillary!? She's pro-Iraq war.

There are other pro-Iraq war democrats out there who enjoy the support of their party. I love how that's the "only" reason. It really really isn't.

Nobody is saying that it is. But it's a significant one.

You just said that's exactly what it was. He's an unresponsive Senator who won't fight for issues that Connecticut democrats care about. They have every right to toss him out on his keister. And if Ned Lamont just wants to be a good Senator, and not another Presidential wannabe - more power to him.