JD in the HR Derby

CanOfCorn

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
I don't know how a homerun derby can tire you out for a half a year. I don't buy it. I do believe that it can screw with your swing.

It happened with Paulie when he was in the derby, so I'd believe it, as well.

It gives you a more upper cut swing cause your trying to swing for the fence. I am not a fan of Dye being in it, but I'll cheer like hell for him. Plus its not like he's a power hitter (I say that in the terms of a pure power guy like Dunn or Thome).

A guy like Thome, he wouldn't have to adjust his swing cause its a natural upper cut long ball type swing.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
I agree with you guys, I don't want to see anything happen to his swing. I'd have much rather seen Thome in it, I don't see it affecting his swing anywhere near as much.

I disagree very much with that. Thome doesn't need to risk an injury for a damn derby. I'd rather see both of them elect not to participate.

QUOTE(ChiSox35 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
"Thome doesn't need to risk an injury for a damn derby"

This isn't soccer. I don't see a home run derby as a serious injury threat to Thome, and for the afore-mentioned reasons I'd rather see Thome in it than Dye.

Ding Ding.

You guys swing dont think Thome can hurt himself in the derby? Are you guys kidding me?

You swing as hard as Jim Thome 50 times in an hour, and tell me how your back feels. I don't care that he's a professional athlete and that he's in amazing condition, there's still an injury risk every time he swings a bat...if he gets extended swings like in a home run derby, it could be bad news.

I too would rather see no Sox player in it, but if they choose to be in it, I'll watch and cheer just like anyone else.

Teams have their own little homeruns derby's that no one ever knows hears about. I think a little too much has been made out of it... i mean they also use to have weekly homerun derby's on tv and it is doubtful that they were thrown off left and right.

The players that are always pointed to are the players that slump in the second half... aka the aberrations. Players can slump at any given time... for an extended period of time... and a home run derby is definitely not gonna be the sole cause for it.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
I'm not worried. I don't think JD is, either. If he thought for a second that participating in a HR derby could potentially throw off his swing/timing, he wouldn't be going.

Yeah, it's definately worth the risk of throwing off his swing during one of the best season's of his career during a pennant race.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
Teams have their own little homeruns derby's that no one ever knows hears about. I think a little too much has been made out of it... i mean they also use to have weekly homerun derby's on tv and it is doubtful that they were thrown off left and right.

The players that are always pointed to are the players that slump in the second half... aka the aberrations. Players can slump at any given time... for an extended period of time... and a home run derby is definitely not gonna be the sole cause for it.

qwerty is awesome.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 05:37 PM)
So do you know JD better than JD himself?

No, I believe JD's participation in the homerun derby is not worth the risk of throwing off his swing during one of the best season's of his career during a pennant race. The risk is not exclusive to JD, but to all MLB players who participate in the derby, thus I do not need to know JD better than he knows himself.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
Yeah, because injuries are so common in the home run derby. Them pitches hurt when they hit you!

OMG you are right. Sorry I forgot Thome has never had injury problems in his career. You're always right!

QUOTE(ChiSox35 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
"Thome doesn't need to risk an injury for a damn derby"

This isn't soccer. I don't see a home run derby as a serious injury threat to Thome, and for the afore-mentioned reasons I'd rather see Thome in it than Dye.

Yup Thome can't get hurt swinging the bat as hard as he can over and over.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 11:24 PM)
OMG you are right. Sorry I forgot Thome has never had injury problems in his career. You're always right!

First off, I never said anything about Thome personally. I said injuries in the home run derby are not common at all, and they aren't. I think its the worst excuse ever, outside of football or hockey where players are injured EVERY game.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 11:57 PM)
First off, I never said anything about Thome personally. I said injuries in the home run derby are not common at all, and they aren't. I think its the worst excuse ever, outside of football or hockey where players are injured EVERY game.

It really doesn't matter if you said anything about him or not the fact is that he was injured all of last year and the sox can't risk him even pulling a muscle in the derby. He is so important to the team that other than batting 4 times a game he shouldn't be doing much else. Hell playing him at 1B was a risk, but it was for the good of the team.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)

DUDE JASON BAY SUCKED IN THE SECOND HALF LAST YEAR, DUH WHAT ARE YOU STUPID