AL Central

hogan873

...a product of the Sox's success last year and Detroit's rebirth? Two years ago, the Twins current record of 45-35 would be nearly the best, if not the best, in the division.

I wonder if what the Sox did last year, combined with the Jim Leyland re-fueled Tigers team's playing has artificially created a seemingly great division. I know, I know, only three teams have winning records, but their all playing good baseball (the Twins as of late anyway).

I do think that the Tigers will be there all year. They are not a flash in the pan. I do think, however, that the Sox can win the division. Regardless, it looks as if both the Tigers and Sox may be playing in October.

I guess I'm just surprised to see two, and almost three, teams from the AL Central in the hunt.

Any thoughts? Anybody agree that Detroit is the real thing? Is Jim Leyland a big part of that?

I don't know why you'd call this an "artificially created...seemingly great division." It is a genuinely great division. Pitching everywhere, with a load more on the way (Liriano and Verlander, present and accounted for, Zumaya, sorta, and Sowers having his coming out party). Decent offense everywhere, except possibly the Twins (and even there, I think Morneau will be something, and they've finally figured out that Cuddyer's decent).

The AL central is by far the best division. Its the best division for 1 main reason PITCHING! Yeah having Leyland back managing helps, the Sox winning it all helps fuel other teams, but if you look at the White Sox, Tigers and Twins pitching its no surprise why this division is the best.

The way i see it is, if we continue to have success vs Detroit and the Twins this year, and those 2 teams beat the crap out of eachother the rest of the way, we can win this thing.

** Lets not forget Cleveland so fast either, they had a extremely HOT second half last season, and there is no reason they won't be able to do it again. Should be a fun race down the stretch with hopefully us being ontop of the AL Central mountain for back to back seasons ;)

However, the Wildcard wouldn't be dissappointing either :)

QUOTE(hogan873 @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
You're right, it is a good division. But until last year, with the Sox winning it all, the AL Central got very little attention. Now it seems there's a lot of focus here.

Its hands down the best division in baseball and you could make a case that 3 of the 5 best teams in baseball are in the division (Mets and BoSox being the ones not in the division; I left the Cards out for a reason, namely that there pitching is weaksauce and I tend to think the Mets is too).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
Its hands down the best division in baseball and you could make a case that 3 of the 5 best teams in baseball are in the division (Mets and BoSox being the ones not in the division; I left the Cards out for a reason, namely that there pitching is weaksauce and I tend to think the Mets is too).

The Twins and Tigers scare me 10X more than Boston does. I would go as far as saying that the 3 best teams in baseball are in the AL Central, which is a shame, yet freakin awesome at the exact same time, and that is by and large because all 3 teams have pitching up the asshole.

Boston has a solid top of the rotation, but if they are trading for Jason Johnson, and are giving up a very solid reliever in Riske for a guy in AAA, their pitching is quite obviously not nearly as deep as the other 3. That, in my mind, is why the Tigers, Twins, and Sox are the 3 best teams in the majors.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)

Wait, wait....did you say weaksauce?

The AL Central is for real, maybe not as good as the records indicate, but they still are dominant.

The way it is going, the winner of the AL Central seems to have the best chance at winning the World Series. They will more than likely have home field advantage throughout and will not have to play the AL Central WC team until the ALCS.

It also seems like whatever team comes out of the AL will beat the NL hands down just like the last couple of years.

As of today... assuming the yanks lose (they are currently losing by like 16 runs to the indians).... and if the twinks take care of the royals, the central would have 2 of the top 3 records in baseball, and the 2 top spots for the wildcard standings. I dont know about anyone else, but I think that right there shows they are for real. I dont really expect it to stay that way (we've had a hot division as of late), but i dont expect anyone to really fade away too much either.