Ben Wallace Agrees to Sign w/ Bulls

They're reporting it on ESPN news right now.

Big Ben Agrees to Terms with the Bulls

By Jason Gage

TalkBulls.com

Chicago Bulls guard Ben Gordon, known for hitting big shots in the 4th quarter will have to push his nickname (Big Ben) aside as the real “Big Ben” is on his way to Chicago. Espn.com’s Chad Ford is reporting that the Chicago Bulls and Wallace have agreed to terms on a four year $60 million deal that will drastically bolster the Bulls front line.

In desperate need for front court help, Paxson opted away from the safe pick Lamarcus Aldridge in the draft and instead went for the potential superstar in Tyrus Thomas. Some questioned the move since Aldridge was a legit big, but Paxson obviously had a good feeling about Wallace whose signing is the first part of the Bulls off-season plan.

Wallace had a rough Eastern Conference finals series with the Pistons where he struggled against Shaquille O’Neal and the Heat. Wallace struggled more so than usual from the line and in general the Pistons played pathetic in a convincing Heat series win.

However, Ben is a former defensive player of the year and will join the best defense in the league (from a defensive fg % standpoint). This past year Wallace averaged 7.3 PPG, 11.3 RPG, 1.78 SPG, and 2.21 BPG. He’ll look to become the best starting center in franchise history and bring stability to a position that had none in 2006.

It is unclear who Wallace will play next to in the front court as Paxson is still fielding offers for C/PF Tyson Chandler. If Chandler remains in Chicago, he would team up with Wallace to form the top defensive front court in the NBA, but it would also be the most futile front court, offensively, in the league.

Some options for the Bulls are to move Chandler for an expiring contract to free up salary to resign players like Hinrich, Deng, Nocioni, and Gordon in the upcoming years. This could help keep the Bulls from going far over the luxury threshold (in upcoming years). As of now this may be Paxson’s current plan as the Bulls are reportedly very close to making a deal that would send Malik Allen and Tyson Chandler to the NO/OK Hornets in exchange for P.J. Brown and J.R. Smith. They may also be able to deal Chandler for a low scoring post player, such as Carlos Boozer of the Utah Jazz or Troy Murphy of the Golden State Warriors.

Regardless of what come’s next, GM John Paxson and head coach Scott Skiles must feel confident that they were able to get the cream of the FA crop, especially one that helps fill a major need (center).

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 3, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
I can't wait!

1st Soxtalk celebrates a championship and now TalkBulls and TalkBears may be joining Soxtalk, who will hopefully be going for a repeat performance in 06 :cheers

And ya, I left out the Hawks for a reason...even I'm not that dumb :D

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 4, 2006 -> 12:41 AM)
1st Soxtalk celebrates a championship and now TalkBulls and TalkBears may be joining Soxtalk, who will hopefully be going for a repeat performance in 06 :cheers

And ya, I left out the Hawks for a reason...even I'm not that dumb :D

start wolves talk :P

It looks like the Chandler for Brown and Smith deal is going to go down.

If I'm Otis Smith, I try to sell John Paxson the idea of doing a DeShawn Stevenson for J.R Smith sign and trade deal. Stevenson doesn't look like he's going to re-sign with the Magic and he wants $4-5M a season for about 4.

The reason I suggest this and why I think it would make sense for the Bulls is because it would be beneficial for you to have a defensive stopper at SG, so you can let Ben Gordon become instant offense off the bench again. He's got the perfect size at 6'5 and I think it would make a lot of sense for both teams.

Don't know if I could see Smith and Gordon co-existing on the same team when they both play the same position.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 4, 2006 -> 09:15 AM)

If I'm Otis Smith, I try to sell John Paxson the idea of doing a DeShawn Stevenson for J.R Smith sign and trade deal. Stevenson doesn't look like he's going to re-sign with the Magic and he wants $4-5M a season for about 4.

The reason I suggest this and why I think it would make sense for the Bulls is because it would be beneficial for you to have a defensive stopper at SG, so you can let Ben Gordon become instant offense off the bench again. He's got the perfect size at 6'5 and I think it would make a lot of sense for both teams.

Don't know if I could see Smith and Gordon co-existing on the same team when they both play the same position.

Nah we just drafted a defensive stopper at SG and last thing we need with a front court of Wallace and Brown is a SG that cant score.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 4, 2006 -> 04:15 AM)

Gordon will be our starting SG. Paxson has already said that.