Official "Squared Circle" Thread

Guest $I Need Money$

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 01:02 AM)
RVD jobbed the WWE title and the ECW title on successive nights. They had to re-write Raw and ECW to take the straps off of him.

Van Dam and Sabu are lucky to keep their jobs with the new wellness policy that WWE has in place.

Everybody knew Van Dam lit up. Hell, last year at the One Night Stand PPV, Heyman cracked a joke that he wasn't crying in the ring but that his eyes were watering because Van Dam and he were smoking a joint.

If anybody watched the ECW TV tonight, the Philly crowd was letting Van Dam have it with chants (granted, they were pissed all night with chants of "Shut the f*** up", "Boring!", "You suck dick", "You take steroids" etc. to other WWE performers that were squashing ECW performers) of "Marijuana!" and chants about the wellness policy infractions. Yet they're still supportive of him -- despite him f***ing up. I'm sure the SciFi censors had to be happy with those chants going over the air unedited for the most part.

And after you've seen half the matches Sabu's been in -- Vicodin seems like it is something he would have regularly.

Vince really needs to give up the booking of ECW and give it to Heyman. This generic hoss-fest, lame ass amateur night stripping and terrible gimmicks galore is really grating to classic fans of old ECW and new fans trying to get a feel for what the cult following was all about. ECW isn't "sports entertainment". It was gritty, counterculture, indy, wrestling with great angles.

RIP WWECW 2006-2006

Post of the week right there...very well said.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
Yeah, the "full creative control" thing prevents Hogan from ever being entertaining.

No love for the man that kept Ed Leslie employed with 7987428734423427 different gimmicks?

And from Tommy Dreamer in his new ecw.com column: "I take it upon myself to apologize for what happened this week. I cannot truly begin to express my feelings...I am angry, pissed off and totally frustrated about what I have been seeing in ECW. I need to sit back and digest all of this; if I write about what is in my head, my column will probably no longer exist. Sorry."

And another hardcore icon, Doug Basham is going to be joining ECWWE.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 02:47 AM)

THE Doug Basham!?!?!?!

really tho....wasn't he part of one of those "twin" tag teams.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 02:47 AM)
No love for the man that kept Ed Leslie employed with 7987428734423427 different gimmicks?

And from Tommy Dreamer in his new ecw.com column: "I take it upon myself to apologize for what happened this week. I cannot truly begin to express my feelings...I am angry, pissed off and totally frustrated about what I have been seeing in ECW. I need to sit back and digest all of this; if I write about what is in my head, my column will probably no longer exist. Sorry."

Vince McMahon is awful. Is there really any other word for this? He insists on running a modified Stone Cold Steve Austin angle with every wrestler he decides NEEDS to feud with HIM.

The only time Smackdown was bearable to me was when Heyman was in charge of it, but that didn't last long because McMahon is a fool.

I can't believe what's happening with ECW.

You know, I wouldn't mind having SOME WWE wrestlers in ECW. Carlito, for one, could do an excellent amount of work in ECW, I think -- at least, in real ECW, with Heyman controlling angles and working things.

But Test, the Bashams, this is such bulls***. And, hell, it could work, theoretically, if Heyman were in charge. He can work about anything. But with McMahon serving as the chief, there's no way that those jobbing suckbags can do anything.

And ECW needs TWO HOURS, not one. Bah.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 07:31 AM)
Vince McMahon is awful. Is there really any other word for this? He insists on running a modified Stone Cold Steve Austin angle with every wrestler he decides NEEDS to feud with HIM.

The only time Smackdown was bearable to me was when Heyman was in charge of it, but that didn't last long because McMahon is a fool.

I can't believe what's happening with ECW.

You know, I wouldn't mind having SOME WWE wrestlers in ECW. Carlito, for one, could do an excellent amount of work in ECW, I think -- at least, in real ECW, with Heyman controlling angles and working things.

But Test, the Bashams, this is such bulls***. And, hell, it could work, theoretically, if Heyman were in charge. He can work about anything. But with McMahon serving as the chief, there's no way that those jobbing suckbags can do anything.

And ECW needs TWO HOURS, not one. Bah.

The current WWECW suckfest doesn't need ANY MORE TV time.

And I think 2 hours is too much for any wrestling program. If TNA could convince SpikeTV to give them 90 minutes, I think that's the perfect length for a weekly wrestling program.

It's enough time to develop storylines and characters, but short enough to prevent throwaway spots like arm-wrestling contests, contract signings and anything involving Konnan and/or Kevin Nash.

:D

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
The current WWECW suckfest doesn't need ANY MORE TV time.

And I think 2 hours is too much for any wrestling program. If TNA could convince SpikeTV to give them 90 minutes, I think that's the perfect length for a weekly wrestling program.

It's enough time to develop storylines and characters, but short enough to prevent throwaway spots like arm-wrestling contests, contract signings and anything involving Konnan and/or Kevin Nash.

:D

You know, I've no problem with an hour and a half, but two hours is fine by me, too.

It pains me to see what WWE is doing to ECW. :(

Looks like Kenny of the Spirit Squad may be in some hot water...(but this plaintiff is f***ing hilarious)

A Chesapeake man told Hampton Roads NewsChannel 3 that WWE wrestler Ken "Kenny" Doane is responsible for injuring his arm.

Following a WWE RAW house show last Sunday, James Wilson, 27, says he noticed Doane and wrestler Mickie James waiting at a stoplight.

According to Wilson, who approached them, only James gave him an autograph. Doane, on the other hand, allegedly held onto Wilson's poster as the light turned green. He then began to drive off, ripping the sign and hurting Wilson's shoulder, the man, who doctors diagnosed with a left shoulder strain, says.

"That's when it ripped in the end and fell on the ground," said Wilson. "And it's not my fault he did what he did. I'm innocent and I'm going to take a warrant out. And nobody's going to stop me over my dead body!"

Wilson said that Doane was the only wrestler to ever deny his autograph request.

WWE's Gary Davis offered Wilson autographed photos, but when Wilson instead requested money, WWE asked that he file a written report.

The company is standing behind its wrestler, saying that Doane's only contact with the man occurred when Mickie James was signing his poster.

Wilson, who will pursue a misdemeanor charge at the Norfolk magistrate's office, said that Kenny was doing more than merely playing his "heel" character.

"I just do. I feel the way I do because he was real. And not just he ripped my poster, which is a misdemeanor, but then he hurt my arm and shoulder," said Wilson.

for those that care a few ECW from tonights show in Racine:

Not that I was expecting a whole lot, but the 'ECW' house show tonight was horrible.

About 10-12 'boring' chants, a couple 'this show sucks' and when they announced the next Racine date a small 'don't come back' chant.

quick rundown:

Snow d. Richards

FBI d. Bashams

Kelly d. Francine in a bikini contest

Knox d. Balls

Sandman d. Credible (dueling canes)

Punk d. Roadkill

Test d. Dreamer

Show d. Sabu (extreme rules title match)

Tommy was good on the mic and Punk got a fairly good reaction with a couple ROH chants and a few AFI claps (even though he didn't come out to it)

QUOTE(Purdue129 @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 12:55 AM)
for those that care a few ECW from tonights show in Racine:

Not that I was expecting a whole lot, but the 'ECW' house show tonight was horrible.

About 10-12 'boring' chants, a couple 'this show sucks' and when they announced the next Racine date a small 'don't come back' chant.

quick rundown:

Snow d. Richards

FBI d. Bashams

Kelly d. Francine in a bikini contest

Knox d. Balls

Sandman d. Credible (dueling canes)

Punk d. Roadkill

Test d. Dreamer

Show d. Sabu (extreme rules title match)

Tommy was good on the mic and Punk got a fairly good reaction with a couple ROH chants and a few AFI claps (even though he didn't come out to it)

Really...what did Mike Knox ever do to deserve this push? I mean, seriously. I'm surprised they didn't job the FBI to the Bashams.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 02:28 AM)
Really...what did Mike Knox ever do to deserve this push? I mean, seriously. I'm surprised they didn't job the FBI to the Bashams.

also...has Tommy Dreamer ever won a match in WWECW, in fact why are the ECW guys doin the job a good 67% of the time? I think i'm almost ready to give up on this thing.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 02:44 AM)
also...has Tommy Dreamer ever won a match in WWECW, in fact why are the ECW guys doin the job a good 67% of the time? I think i'm almost ready to give up on this thing.

He carried Test last night too. Test looked like s***.

Dreamer and Balls aren't going to get far without "Extreme Rules" all the time.

The highlight of my night, easily, was getting to shake hands with the great Dean Malenko during intermission.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
Looks like Kenny of the Spirit Squad may be in some hot water...(but this plaintiff is f***ing hilarious)

A Chesapeake man told Hampton Roads NewsChannel 3 that WWE wrestler Ken "Kenny" Doane is responsible for injuring his arm.

Following a WWE RAW house show last Sunday, James Wilson, 27, says he noticed Doane and wrestler Mickie James waiting at a stoplight.

According to Wilson, who approached them, only James gave him an autograph. Doane, on the other hand, allegedly held onto Wilson's poster as the light turned green. He then began to drive off, ripping the sign and hurting Wilson's shoulder, the man, who doctors diagnosed with a left shoulder strain, says.

"That's when it ripped in the end and fell on the ground," said Wilson. "And it's not my fault he did what he did. I'm innocent and I'm going to take a warrant out. And nobody's going to stop me over my dead body!"

Wilson said that Doane was the only wrestler to ever deny his autograph request.

WWE's Gary Davis offered Wilson autographed photos, but when Wilson instead requested money, WWE asked that he file a written report.

The company is standing behind its wrestler, saying that Doane's only contact with the man occurred when Mickie James was signing his poster.

Wilson, who will pursue a misdemeanor charge at the Norfolk magistrate's office, said that Kenny was doing more than merely playing his "heel" character.

"I just do. I feel the way I do because he was real. And not just he ripped my poster, which is a misdemeanor, but then he hurt my arm and shoulder," said Wilson.

I think that's classless from both sides.

ROH is really worth seeing. It's not quite ECW in the heyday, but it is a real quality night of wrestling. The last 2 times in Chicago Ridge they brought in Japanese wrestlers (1st time was wrestlers from Dragon's Gate and they had a 5 Star match, and then Ketna (sp?) from NOAH was here last month) and those were fantastic matches.

Samoa Joe is great to see, his workrate is a little down in ROH now since he's important to TNA, but he still puts on a hell of a show.

The wrestlers put on excellent matches and the atmosphere is great. Brian Danielson's enterance to "Final Countdown" is classic and watching Jimmy Rave and Alex Shelley react to the toilet paper is worth the price of admission alone!

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 09:05 PM)
ROH is really worth seeing. It's not quite ECW in the heyday, but it is a real quality night of wrestling. The last 2 times in Chicago Ridge they brought in Japanese wrestlers (1st time was wrestlers from Dragon's Gate and they had a 5 Star match, and then Ketna (sp?) from NOAH was here last month) and those were fantastic matches.

Samoa Joe is great to see, his workrate is a little down in ROH now since he's important to TNA, but he still puts on a hell of a show.

The wrestlers put on excellent matches and the atmosphere is great. Brian Danielson's enterance to "Final Countdown" is classic and watching Jimmy Rave and Alex Shelley react to the toilet paper is worth the price of admission alone!

Kobashi Kenta kicks ass from Pro Wrestling NOAH.

Joe vs Kobashi from 2005

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3...q=kenta+kobashi

ROH has got some quality wrestlers -- just kinda sucks that their straps never have a change of hands on a regular basis and every one of them has held for months and months on end. They've got a lot of talent on the roster and it is quite entertaining to see technical wrestling instead of 'sports entertainment'. Their feud with CZW is being booked pretty damn well though.

/Nigel McGuinness mark -- "In it to win it -- Done it and won it!"

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 11:42 PM)

Joe vs Kobashi from 2005

ROH has got some quality wrestlers -- just kinda sucks that their straps never have a change of hands on a regular basis and every one of them has held for months and months on end. They've got a lot of talent on the roster and it is quite entertaining to see technical wrestling instead of 'sports entertainment'. Their feud with CZW is being booked pretty damn well though.

i've heard plenty about ROH and CZW, could i get any suggestions on how to catch shows or certain matches i should check out to get a taste of these promotions...

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 01:24 AM)
i've heard plenty about ROH and CZW, could i get any suggestions on how to catch shows or certain matches i should check out to get a taste of these promotions...

Use youtube.com or Google video would be your best bet if you want a taste for free. Just search for CZW or Ring of Honor.

If you want DVD's, try www.rohwrestling.com or www.czwwrestling.com

EDIT

Here's some matches from CZW (this may be obvious but 'deathmatches are not for the feint of heart')

JC Bailey vs Nick Gage in a "Panes of Glass Match" from last year's Ultraviolent Tournament of Death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQvc5UhcfTQ...one%20Wrestling

Wifebeater vs Sick Nick Mondo - 200 Lighttubes Deathmatch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suc-DSxDtYo...nt%20of%20Death

Cage of Death 5 - 6 on 6 Elimination Match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_NbSolox0o...ge%20of%20Death

A bit different than CoD 5, here's Cage of Death 7 - Nick Gage, Zandig and Justice Pain vs Necro Butcher, Joker and Toby Klein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PVQ4E5SlOA...rch=CZW%20joker

Ruckus vs Sabian vs Joker vs Chri$ Ca$h - Ladder Match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE7Hm052Qko...rch=CZW%20joker

Here's some ROH

(see the Kobashi vs Joe match I linked to earlier)

Austin Aries vs Samoa Joe

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6...q=ring+of+honor

Low Ki/Senshi vs Kobashi Kenta

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6...q=ring+of+honor

I haven't watched the Anniversary show, but I'd assume that it'd be solid

ROH 4th Anniversary Show Part 1

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=70...roderick+strong

ROH 4th Anniversary Show Part 2

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5...roderick+strong

ROH 4th Anniversary Show Part 3

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=55...roderick+strong

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 11:42 PM)

Joe vs Kobashi from 2005

By keeping the straps on the same people it's actually given quite a bit of credibility to being champ. Aries/Strong just became the longest tag title holders of all time in ROH.

KENTA was actually the NOAH wrestler at the last Chicago Ridge show and he had a fantastic match with Austin Aries.

I highly recommend that everyone check out both youtube and google videos for some great ROH stuff.

Also, everyone do themselves a favor and get some tickets for the next Chicago Ridge show. They're going for as low as $15. Already booked is Samoa Joe vs. Claudio Castonogli and a 2/3 falls World Title match: Colt Cabana vs. "The Greatest Wrestler in the World", The American Dragon, Brian Danielson.

I really didn't have many expectations for The New ECW anyway. What it boils down to is that it's a 3rd brand owned by the same company. And, as any wrestling fan knows, Vince will never keep his nose out of anything he owns, he will always have a say.

The main problem I have with The New ECW is the fact that Angle and Big Show were out in it and now Show is the champ. That is what sucks bad about it. I have no problem with them putting Test and The Bashams and such in there or any of the new guys like Knox or Punk, but why Angke and Show? To me, that is Vince rubbing it in Heyman's face that is still under The WWE umbrella.

I also hate the cross over Raw?Smackdown into ECW crap. Let it go on it's own with new faces and see if can make it.

One last thing, why they haven't put Super Crazy, Psicocis, and Simon Dean (Nova) in there baffles me. Merge Raw and Smackdown back together and put the guys that belong in ECW there.

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
I really didn't have many expectations for The New ECW anyway. What it boils down to is that it's a 3rd brand owned by the same company. And, as any wrestling fan knows, Vince will never keep his nose out of anything he owns, he will always have a say.

The main problem I have with The New ECW is the fact that Angle and Big Show were out in it and now Show is the champ. That is what sucks bad about it. I have no problem with them putting Test and The Bashams and such in there or any of the new guys like Knox or Punk, but why Angke and Show? To me, that is Vince rubbing it in Heyman's face that is still under The WWE umbrella.

I also hate the cross over Raw?Smackdown into ECW crap. Let it go on it's own with new faces and see if can make it.

One last thing, why they haven't put Super Crazy, Psicocis, and Simon Dean (Nova) in there baffles me. Merge Raw and Smackdown back together and put the guys that belong in ECW there.

I like you find the roster split ridiculous as well

I have never been a fan of it, Smackdown is terrible.. they need to merge them back together and like you said put the ones who belong in ECW in ECW

QUOTE(T R U @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 11:16 PM)
I like you find the roster split ridiculous as well

I have never been a fan of it, Smackdown is terrible.. they need to merge them back together and like you said put the ones who belong in ECW in ECW

Yes but this would mean that somebody working in WWE would have a sense of logic, reason or rationality. And we all know they don't got that.

SmackDown's roster is so depleted, it's a joke. They can't move Crazy, Psicosis etc. because then they wouldn't have a mid-card there. Besides, who would Khali squash if they left?

Plus, Vince has made it clear that he doesn't care about the "old ECW" and is re-making it in his image -- the original wrestlers whose blood, sweat and tears made ECW so popular be damned. It's his "C Show" to run into the ground with Kelly Kelly exposes, Mike Knox becoming the next Test, Test getting a monster push despite being mediocre and a main event of RIC FLAIR VS BIG SHOW. Flair vs Show is a match for the aged. It's the deluded billionaire's vision of what made a product work that he had no part in putting together. If I was Heyman, I'd be feeling like a major whore for accepting the checks for this pantload. It's gotta hurt to see his baby be prostituted in such a disgusting fashion.

I can only hope for a Foley swerve and cameo'ing in ECW tomorrow to make that match watchable by helping Show/ECWWE.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
I can only hope for a Foley swerve and cameo'ing in ECW tomorrow to make that match watchable by helping Show/ECWWE.

ok, I know i'm not supposed to like Kelly's "expose's" but hell Candice is gonna dance with her tommorow night... :wub: so i'm lame...Candice is so gonna be worth watching that part...

I wouldn't mind a Ric Flair/Big Show match so much as if you know, it was on Raw.

I just don't know why Vince would bring back ECW and think that it is going to be popular if he's putting it in his image rather than what hardcore ECW fans want. Of course, now, with it being back, it has sparked interest, so people are watching, but it's not going to take long before it goes the way of The XFL unless something changes.

The Kelly Kelly thing is just dumb. Yeah, she is smoking hot, but in old ECW that girl would have been driven through a table by now or hit in the head with a kendo stick or whatever.

And why not bring in guys like Mike Awesome, Mikey Whipwreck, The Blue Meanie, Steve Corino or anyone else that could make that show worth watching. Those guys I'm sure need the money and the job.

As far the roster split, it was fine when the shows were somewhat balanced. But, you take Kurt Angle and Randy Orton away from Smackdown and replace with then with no one? How that show even draws ratings anymore is beyond me. And their PPV's? Who the hell wants to watch The Great American Bash? Get real.

If only I owned WWE.

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 11:57 PM)
And why not bring in guys like Mike Awesome, Mikey Whipwreck, The Blue Meanie, Steve Corino or anyone else that could make that show worth watching. Those guys I'm sure need the money and the job.

Not that any of these guys probably couldn't use "wwe" type money, but:

Awesome has been wrestling some dates in Japan.

Meanie's got his issues from last years One Night Stand/JBL/etc. and has been doing a lot of Indies, including a handful in IL.

Corino has been all over the Indy circuit and seems to be enjoying it. He had some great stuff in ROH.

No idea on Whipwreck.