Official "Squared Circle" Thread

Guest $I Need Money$

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
Yeah, that's where I was going with my comment.

I've never heard of him stepping up to any of "the boys", he seems to enjoy harassing the women in the company, that's where he gets in trouble with Vince (along with such other hard-core offenses as wardrobe violations).

Well, his whole schtick is being the "Legend killer" bothering all of the "Legends" of the company, so at least he isnt Mark Henry squashing cruiserweights week in week out. The strange thing about Orton is that I feel he could be good, he is one hell of an athletic wrestler, and he can generate a lot of heat, but the guy is obviously and overwhelmingly in love with himself and that just shines through.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
Well, his whole schtick is being the "Legend killer" bothering all of the "Legends" of the company, so at least he isnt Mark Henry squashing cruiserweights week in week out. The strange thing about Orton is that I feel he could be good, he is one hell of an athletic wrestler, and he can generate a lot of heat, but the guy is obviously and overwhelmingly in love with himself and that just shines through.

Well, I guess I'm going to kind of contradict myself here, but Randy Orton is starting to sound like that guy named Rocky Maivia.

http://www.csma-netlink.co.uk/users/malcolm/maivia.jpg

He wasn't getting heel heat, he was a baby face! People genuinely hated the guy. He turned his career around, maybe Orton can do the same. I'm not trying to say Orton gets nearly as much heat as the Rock did, but it's sort of the same situation.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)
Well, I guess I'm going to kind of contradict myself here, but Randy Orton is starting to sound like that guy named Rocky Maivia.

http://www.csma-netlink.co.uk/users/malcolm/maivia.jpg

He wasn't getting heel heat, he was a baby face! People genuinely hated the guy. He turned his career around, maybe Orton can do the same. I'm not trying to say Orton gets nearly as much heat as the Rock did, but it's sort of the same situation.

The difference is, Rock had the ability to find his character and make people change their minds about him.

I don't believe Orton has the ability or desire to do that. He's more than content to coast, IMO.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 09:56 AM)
And the Rock? IMO, the most overrated wrestler EVER. Except Goldberg. And a whole host of other people. But I hated the Rock!

I's agree to an extent. He was a bonafied athlete in the ring and was very good at selling moves.

His mic work I thought was childish and overrated. His later stuff around WM 19 was better than his stuff during his top run when he would steal material and kind of say things like Cena is now. Kind of sophmoric.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
I's agree to an extent. He was a bonafied athlete in the ring and was very good at selling moves.

I disagree. I thought he made spiff look so fake, and the way he recoiled after being punched/slapped looked so phony. Most things he did were phony. I liked the way he took the Stunner, but that was about all he took well enough, although that looked so fuggin fake.

His mic work I thought was childish and overrated. His later stuff around WM 19 was better than his stuff during his top run when he would steal material and kind of say things like Cena is now. Kind of sophmoric.

I never liked his mic work. Smell it, Jabroni?

Since when did people say the Rock and Goldberg were good wrestler's? The Rock's finisher was an elbow drop for crying out loud! At least Goldberg had a couple impressive finishers.

I have no problem with the Rock. He was a fantastic entertainer, and frankly, that's what puts a guy into the main event. Bret Hart is one of the few guys I can think of who got by with a rather dull personality (in my opinion). Even Andre the Giant was known to have a fantastic personality even though he couldn't speak English. That's why the internet wrestling community bothers me so much. They want guys like Lance Storm and Chris Benoit pushed all the time, but they have zero personality. Hearing them talk on the mic is brutal. People WANT to see Brock Lesnar squash some dude. They want to see Hogan play to the crowd and drop that "vicious" leg. haha....The Rock played to the crowd better than anyone. Stone Cold drank beer and gave out stunners. DX was rude and crude. Flair...well that man is nuts. Foley, nuts as well. That's what I loved. Now we got a white rapper and a second generation primadonna.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
Since when did people say the Rock and Goldberg were good wrestler's? The Rock's finisher was an elbow drop for crying out loud! At least Goldberg had a couple impressive finishers.

I have no problem with the Rock. He was a fantastic entertainer, and frankly, that's what puts a guy into the main event. Bret Hart is one of the few guys I can think of who got by with a rather dull personality (in my opinion). Even Andre the Giant was known to have a fantastic personality even though he couldn't speak English. That's why the internet wrestling community bothers me so much. They want guys like Lance Storm and Chris Benoit pushed all the time, but they have zero personality. Hearing them talk on the mic is brutal. People WANT to see Brock Lesnar squash some dude. They want to see Hogan play to the crowd and drop that "vicious" leg. haha....The Rock played to the crowd better than anyone. Stone Cold drank beer and gave out stunners. DX was rude and crude. Flair...well that man is nuts. Foley, nuts as well. That's what I loved. Now we got a white rapper and a second generation primadonna.

Goldberg was entertaining on the mic? His whole gig was to make deformed faces, go "RAAAAAH" and "WHO'S NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Entertaining my ass.

Was the Rock better than Austin? IMO, nobody was, except perhaps Foley, although Foley is easily the best real promo in the business, which was something I can't ever remember Austin giving.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
I dont care what you guys say Randy Orton is the fishin man.. hes badass

No arguement here.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 06:08 PM)
Was the Rock better than Austin? IMO, nobody was, except perhaps Foley, although Foley is easily the best real promo in the business, which was something I can't ever remember Austin giving.

Austin's stuff in ECW was entertaining.

And please tell me you don't think Austin is the greatest at anything. Before his neck injury, he was a top notch athlete, but his mic work will never compare to the old stuff from Flair, Dusty, Jake Roberts, Bobby Heenan, Terry Funk, etc...

It seems there are wrestling fans on here that never saw anything before 1997.

P.S. After tonights show, and I apologize ahead of time, but I'm the Kelly bandwagon. She can't dance and will take time to learn the biz, but she is smoking hot.

And Ariel, Shelly Martinez, is a freak, but a good freak.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 06:08 PM)
Goldberg was entertaining on the mic? His whole gig was to make deformed faces, go "RAAAAAH" and "WHO'S NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Entertaining my ass.

My fault, I just meant that Goldberg wasn't a good wrestler. Poor wording on my part.

Foley's stuff as Cactus Jack in ECW is bone chilling. He's the man. No doubt about that. I haven't seen his promos lately hyping his Flair feud, but I hear they're incredible.

Brian, with all due respect to the guys you listed, I'd still put Austin up there. Talk about irony though, Austin made his name at the King of the Ring after he beat...yep, Jake Roberts and gave his famous "Austin 3:16" speech.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
This is when I liked Cena's work.

I wish the match was included in that clip. Cena deserved to be totally squashed and potatoed for that awful "rap". Thats just awful. He should have left it with no beat in the background, it may have passed for humor. Maybe not.

*shudder*

That was real bad.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
I wish the match was included in that clip. Cena deserved to be totally squashed and potatoed for that awful "rap". Thats just awful. He should have left it with no beat in the background, it may have passed for humor. Maybe not.

*shudder*

That was real bad.

That was the point, I liked him better as the "heel" At least he wasn't shoved down our throats that way

Austin's stuff in ECW was entertaining.

And please tell me you don't think Austin is the greatest at anything. Before his neck injury, he was a top notch athlete, but his mic work will never compare to the old stuff from Flair, Dusty, Jake Roberts, Bobby Heenan, Terry Funk, etc...

It seems there are wrestling fans on here that never saw anything before 1997.

P.S. After tonights show, and I apologize ahead of time, but I'm the Kelly bandwagon. She can't dance and will take time to learn the biz, but she is smoking hot.

And Ariel, Shelly Martinez, is a freak, but a good freak.

Austin was clearly one of the best in the business in his prime. I enjoy him more than I do Flair and Roberts; not more than Funk or Dusty; and Heenan was a totally different character. He managed, so I have trouble comparing them.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 10:32 AM)
My fault, I just meant that Goldberg wasn't a good wrestler. Poor wording on my part.

Foley's stuff as Cactus Jack in ECW is bone chilling. He's the man. No doubt about that. I haven't seen his promos lately hyping his Flair feud, but I hear they're incredible.

Brian, with all due respect to the guys you listed, I'd still put Austin up there. Talk about irony though, Austin made his name at the King of the Ring after he beat...yep, Jake Roberts and gave his famous "Austin 3:16" speech.

I love Foley in ECW.

Goldberg blows!

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)

*shudder*

That was real bad.

are you jokin? Cena was actually cool back then

I hate him now

QUOTE(T R U @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
are you jokin? Cena was actually cool back then

I hate him now

His character may have been cool back then, but that rap sucked. If I was Lesnar, I would've F5ed his arse right there if I didnt bust up laughing first.

Orton said in the new WWE magazine that the reason he was suspended was because somebody ratted him out for lighting up a doob backstage. Goes into him with his anger management etc.

Scan of the article: http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/5592/01pa2.jpg

Unfortunately for Orton, I just can't buy his heel heat and he's not too great on the stick. When you add in the impending doing the job to St. Hulk of Hogan onto his resume, I don't think he's getting too much out of his current gimmick. Sure he's athletic but he is just lacking in the charisma to get some genuine heel heat. He should take some lessons from Foley and some other classic heels on how to get over. Cuz let's face it, most of the heat he's getting now is from women saying "OMG! RANDY'S HAWT!!!!!111!11! ELEVENTY!"

But on the bright side, CM Punk is debuting this week on EC-Dub! Now if the E could just get Samoa Joe

BTW, anybody see/hear about CZW's Tournament of Death 5 that went down yesterday?

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 06:14 PM)
please, do tell...

I haven't been able to see the matches, but I did find out that (highlight to see winner) Nick Gage won the whole thing.

It was a few three way dances in the beginning and then set up for the final four way match in the finals.

Some of the spots included:

*light tube shots and barbed wire ropes

*suplexes into a barb wire spider web

*an eyebrow ring being cut out via scissors

*hip toss off a moving truck through four tables

*2 wheedwhacker shots (the string part) to the gut

*cannonball senton off of a moving truck onto two other wrestlers through plate glass and tables

http://realwrestlecrap.proboards89.com/ind...read=1154142081 has a bunch of info and videos of past matches.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 06:30 PM)
I haven't been able to see the matches, but I did find out that (highlight to see winner) Nick Gage won the whole thing.

It was a few three way dances in the beginning and then set up for the final four way match in the finals.

Some of the spots included:

*light tube shots and barbed wire ropes

*suplexes into a barb wire spider web

*an eyebrow ring being cut out via scissors

*hip toss off a moving truck through four tables

*2 wheedwhacker shots (the string part) to the gut

*cannonball senton off of a moving truck onto two other wrestlers through plate glass and tables

http://realwrestlecrap.proboards89.com/ind...read=1154142081 has a bunch of info and videos of past matches.

must. find. torrent.