Official "Squared Circle" Thread

Guest $I Need Money$

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand by my earlier stated opinion that Vince only brought ECW back in order to milk it and kill it, so he'll never have to hear an "ECDUB, ECDUB" chant at a WWE live event again.

Honestly, who can possibly chant ECDUB anymore, now that Vince has turned into 1/2 Ohio Valley, 1/2 HOSSFEST, and 100% craptacular?

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
I stand by my earlier stated opinion that Vince only brought ECW back in order to milk it and kill it, so he'll never have to hear an "ECDUB, ECDUB" chant at a WWE live event again.

Honestly, who can possibly chant ECDUB anymore, now that Vince has turned into 1/2 Ohio Valley, 1/2 HOSSFEST, and 100% craptacular?

agreed fully

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
worse company XFL or WWECW?

The XFL wasnt bad it just got a bad rap since it was owned by Vince.. I remember when I had friends who thought the wrestlers were going to be playing and I had to tell them no it was a real football league

QUOTE(T R U @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
The XFL wasnt bad it just got a bad rap since it was owned by Vince.. I remember when I had friends who thought the wrestlers were going to be playing and I had to tell them no it was a real football league

Yeah, i still remember the day i saw the enforcers play :headbang :headbang :headbang

I caught two things on WWECW last night:

Mike Knox giving Kelly Kelly a swinging neckbreaker. This was funny as hell, even though I have seen vince pull the domestic abuse angle a billion times. I knew what was gonna happen, but it still made me laugh. BTW, Kelly Kelly is hot. ;)

And the second thing I saw was the match between Lashley and Big Show. It was absolutely awful. If Lashley doesnt come up with something better than bouncing off the ropes and chest bumping/clotheslining people, he isnt gonna be around long. He is letting his chance to be a main eventer(the only reason he has this chance is because he has "the look")slip away because his in-ring repertoire is just flat out bad. Picking up Big Show, while impressive, just doesnt come off as a finishing move anymore, and that is how Lashley won the match.

Who is going to save the WWE/WWECW from itself, I ask?

QUOTE(T R U @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)

Vince may be venturing outside of Wrestling again. There's various reports that Dream Stage Entertainment is going to have to sell their MMA organization PRIDE, and they have had talks with WWE, UFC and other Asian companies.

Would be interesting to see Vince deal in that type of sport where bets are taken and has to be sanctioned by athletic boards, meaning no fixing matches... it will drive him crazy if he pumps someone up and they get knocked out... See Dr. Death in Brawl-For-All or whatever the hell that tough-man competition he did was called. (Although it ended at a Wrestlemania with Butterbean having one of the best knockouts in history of Bart Gunn, maybe only second to Cro Cop knocking out Silva in the recent OWGP)

QUOTE(T R U @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)

No, it was AWFUL. It was like watching neighborhood football on a bigger scale. What they promised and didn't deliver was behind the field storylines. It should have been taped in advance, with sidelines and off-field personal life stuff, like a reality show. That would have succeeded.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)
No, it was AWFUL. It was like watching neighborhood football on a bigger scale. What they promised and didn't deliver was behind the field storylines. It should have been taped in advance, with sidelines and off-field personal life stuff, like a reality show. That would have succeeded.

Get the hell out of here, that would have been terrible to do

QUOTE(T R U @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 12:41 PM)
Get the hell out of here, that would have been terrible to do

You're telling me a Playmakers-style show, but with genuine on-the-field action would have been bad? You obviously haven't seen how well those Varsity Blues/Friday Night Lights/Hoop Dreams films & tv shows do. It would have been gangbusters. What sells the WWE is the characters it presents (in varying degrees of quality) and their motivations and aspirations partnered with good (theoretically) professional wrestling.

The XFL didn't allow the audience to get into the characters - the players and their dreams, hopes, and off-the-field action. So without that, the audience desired good on-the-field football, and with players that were basically outcasts from college and arena ball, they didn't get that either. Hence its failure. The games, as bad as they were to watch sometimes, could have been made better in the editing room.

My formula - good characters + good (edited) football games = ratings success.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
You're telling me a Playmakers-style show, but with genuine on-the-field action would have been bad? You obviously haven't seen how well those Varsity Blues/Friday Night Lights/Hoop Dreams films & tv shows do. It would have been gangbusters. What sells the WWE is the characters it presents (in varying degrees of quality) and their motivations and aspirations partnered with good (theoretically) professional wrestling.

The XFL didn't allow the audience to get into the characters - the players and their dreams, hopes, and off-the-field action. So without that, the audience desired good on-the-field football, and with players that were basically outcasts from college and arena ball, they didn't get that either. Hence its failure. The games, as bad as they were to watch sometimes, could have been made better in the editing room.

My formula - good characters + good (edited) football games = ratings success.

I agree.

If Vince hadn't been looking for "legitimacy" and stuck to his own formula with the XFL, it probably still wouldn't have been a hit with mainstream sports fans, but it may well have been a very successful reality show.

QUOTE(T R U @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The quality of play was horrible. They were also constantly changing the rules which made it hard to follow as well, but I wouldn't mind if it was still around. From the Super Bowl-Spring training, I need some kind of Saturday night/Sunday sports fix.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 02:56 AM)
The ROH show was fantastic.

4 hours of quality entertainment.

They put on a great show.

I was so tired by the time I got home. There was sooooooo much going on throughout the show. They did a great job with the storylines.

I'm never going to get enough of any match involving any combo of Aries/Strong/Sydal/Daniels.

Matt Sydal and Davey Richards are adding some great personality to their characters and are going to be huge in 2007.

And Brian Danielson is the best heel champion ever. He couldn't have put on a better heel performance in the cage.

QUOTE(Purdue129 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 07:15 PM)
I was so tired by the time I got home. There was sooooooo much going on throughout the show. They did a great job with the storylines.

I'm never going to get enough of any match involving any combo of Aries/Strong/Sydal/Daniels.

Matt Sydal and Davey Richards are adding some great personality to their characters and are going to be huge in 2007.

And Brian Danielson is the best heel champion ever. He couldn't have put on a better heel performance in the cage.

I just wish I could have seen a Gringo Killer, Muscle Buster or the Cattle Mutilation live though.

And Kikutaro! He was highly entertaining.

And did Daniels really need Allison Danger out there during the four corners match? I think she took away from the match by being so interactive with the fans. With the tag match it was better because there were lulls in the action, but not so much with that four corners match.

I really marked for the Briscoes. That springboard turning around in mid air Doomsday Device was so awesome.

It was so awesome. The only thing that sucked was some of the elitist smark fans that were there trying to start chants and failing and not learning to shut the f*** up afterwards.

I was ready to shoot the guy behind me that chanted "F TNA" every chance he got. He's also the one who was chanting Homocide before Cide's match.

I really wish the Briscoe's match would have gone longer. I've seen them vs. IA before and another 5 mins would have been great.

How awesome was Jimmy Jacob's spear on Daizee?

QUOTE(Purdue129 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
I was ready to shoot the guy behind me that chanted "F TNA" every chance he got. He's also the one who was chanting Homocide before Cide's match.

I really wish the Briscoe's match would have gone longer. I've seen them vs. IA before and another 5 mins would have been great.

How awesome was Jimmy Jacob's spear on Daizee?

That was pretty damn sweet.

I was kinda sad to see two no contests on the card though.

Homicide's match was pretty cool. Wish I was there for night 2 to see the strap match.

Although Sydal is out of night two with a knee injury, so I wonder what happens with that Aries/Strong match for the ROH tag belts.

That Briscoes match was damn good. And poor Matt Sydal, not only the knee injury but he is having so much difficulty getting over.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 02:57 AM)
great replies on the ROH show - wish I'd been in town to see them, but there's always DVD I guess.

My buddy Jeff has been trying to get booked on ROH even i f it is a job match. I am gonna try and get to one in 07.

Looks like we got a Pro Wrestling NOAH vs ROH feud building.

At night 2, Joe called out NOAH and Nigel McGuinness came out saying that if he had a problem with NOAH, he had a problem with Nigel.

And speaking of NOAH, we got a new GHC champ -- Misawa.

Who's excited that Homicide is likely to be the new ROH champ at Final Battle?