Official "Squared Circle" Thread

Guest $I Need Money$

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
Cade has been around long enough for me to think he will never be anything big. Trevor Murdoch has a chance to be a great heel a la Stan Hansen. I think WWE likes him based on the minnie push he got awhile back and disappeared to Heat.

Bonus points to Murdoch if he pops somebody's eye out from a LARIAT-O!

Bigger points to the opponent if he pops his eye back in the socket and continues.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 13, 2006 -> 06:05 AM)
Reminiscing about the old WWF days a bit, anyone remember this crazy storyline? :bang

classic. That clip reminded me 2 things.

1. Cornette (sp?) is great. There's a tape of him and some other wrestlers at a drive-thru after a show somewhere, and since they had such a large order the place thought it was a joke, so they were waiting there forever. When Cornette found out what was going on he completely lost it.

2. When Austin had his neck surgery and they brought him back after a long time at a live event, he had such a HUGE beer belly, it was comical watching him trying to get into the ring (Yes, I understand he had a major surgery and couldn't work out or anything for months, and basically all he did was sit around and drink beer, but the visual of his comeback is parody-like)

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
classic. That clip reminded me 2 things.

1. Cornette (sp?) is great. There's a tape of him and some other wrestlers at a drive-thru after a show somewhere, and since they had such a large order the place thought it was a joke, so they were waiting there forever. When Cornette found out what was going on he completely lost it.

2. When Austin had his neck surgery and they brought him back after a long time at a live event, he had such a HUGE beer belly, it was comical watching him trying to get into the ring (Yes, I understand he had a major surgery and couldn't work out or anything for months, and basically all he did was sit around and drink beer, but the visual of his comeback is parody-like)

Jim Cornette is fantastic. He's being wasted as TNA's "general manager" or whatever he is. They should pay QVC to take Don West back and place Cornette in that chair permanently, since managers are a dying breed.

It was SO nice to have Angle take out West last week on iMPACT! so Cornette could get some mic time.

There are a bunch of Cornette shoot videos on YouTube. He's always been one of my favorites.

And that tape you're talking about is hilarious - Cornette + hunger + anger = comedy gold!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 06:39 PM)
Jim Cornette is fantastic. He's being wasted as TNA's "general manager" or whatever he is. They should pay QVC to take Don West back and place Cornette in that chair permanently, since managers are a dying breed.

It was SO nice to have Angle take out West last week on iMPACT! so Cornette could get some mic time.

There are a bunch of Cornette shoot videos on YouTube. He's always been one of my favorites.

And that tape you're talking about is hilarious - Cornette + hunger + anger = comedy gold!

Remember when the E let Cornette have his "opinion" videos in the mid/late 90's with such gems as "Hulk Hogan, you're a household term. But so is garbage and that stinks when it gets old too."

Percy Pringle and Cornette shoot vid clip from ROH Straight Shooting Series

And here's the Cornette video from his tirade at the Dairy Queen Totally NSFW

And one more shoot vid -- ROH Straight Shooting clip with Cornette and one of the greats, Bobby Heenan

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
Remember when the E let Cornette have his "opinion" videos in the mid/late 90's with such gems as "Hulk Hogan, you're a household term. But so is garbage and that stinks when it gets old too."

Those opinion segments were the most effective weapon against WCW at the time, I thought, because they were REAL opinions, not goofy skits or phony challenges. Plus, they reflected what many fans were thinking as well.

That segment ended too soon, I think because Vince didn't want to burn TOO many bridges, just in case...

QUOTE(MinnesotaSoxFan @ Dec 18, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
I got a little excited...I thought they were gonna be in action. But yeah, that was a lame skit.

They're getting Vinced right now.

There's only so many times you can tell the same joke, no matter how funny the joke originally was.

They need some kind of progress in their skits/characters soon, or else they'll become the Black Highlanders.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
Only ones on YouTube are random private videos. So, I doubt I'll be much help.

But here's a pic of Joey Mercury after having his injury cleaned up. For all the naysayers...Wrestling sure is fake, huh?

joey.jpg

that's studio makeup!

Just got done watching the Straight Shooting Series with Terry Funk and Shane Douglas. It was very informative and entertaining.

They talk a lot about ECW and how it eventually became a parody of itself with Douglas talking about how "I talked to Paul about there being six interviews. It doesn't matter how good it is, people won't want it after seeing five others. The same goes for tables. After seeing six, seven, eight tables, nobody wants to see a ninth, tenth table." It was a really good discussion of how oversaturation of one element led to the product possibly failing. They played up Heyman's creativity but criticized him for not really being a good "boss" to control things like that. They also made a point about wrestling being like Thanksgiving dinner in that you want a little of everything and not a plate full of one food and nothing else. Really informative shoot.

Also, Samoa Joe is missing Final Battle this year with a severe MCL sprain. He is off the knee til the January TNA PPV.

AJP/Torborg vs Eckstein/Hoyt is being discussed for a future TNA PPV.

I did laugh at Lashley's lack of mic skills and his Freudian slip calling it "WWECW".

And ROHWrestling.com is having a 15% off sale.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 20, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
Just got done watching the Straight Shooting Series with Terry Funk and Shane Douglas. It was very informative and entertaining.

They talk a lot about ECW and how it eventually became a parody of itself with Douglas talking about how "I talked to Paul about there being six interviews. It doesn't matter how good it is, people won't want it after seeing five others. The same goes for tables. After seeing six, seven, eight tables, nobody wants to see a ninth, tenth table." It was a really good discussion of how oversaturation of one element led to the product possibly failing. They played up Heyman's creativity but criticized him for not really being a good "boss" to control things like that. They also made a point about wrestling being like Thanksgiving dinner in that you want a little of everything and not a plate full of one food and nothing else. Really informative shoot.

I think one of the problems/miscalculations ECW/Heyman made was not expanding soon enough. I realize expanding too broadly and quickly would have spelled immediate disaster, but I feel they should have run strong wrestling towns such as Chicago, St. Louis and some of the old Texas territories earlier. Keeping the shows to the east coast for as long as they did crimped cash flow.

With that said, I think it would have been rough for ECW to last and I don't know if there was a "perfect" plan that would have saved it.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 19, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
Only ones on YouTube are random private videos. So, I doubt I'll be much help.

But here's a pic of Joey Mercury after having his injury cleaned up. For all the naysayers...Wrestling sure is fake, huh?

joey.jpg

Actors get hurt too... Are you trying to tell me Rocky Balboa was real? :bang

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 08:35 AM)
Actors get hurt too... Are you trying to tell me Rocky Balboa was real? :bang

I was just making the point that wrestling isn't fake. The results are predetermined. There is a significant difference. However, a lot of people think wrestling is so much more low brow and for the uneducated because of that fact yet do not realize that their favorite TV shows, movies and books all have the same thing (the results are predetermined) It doesn't make the acting, lyrics, words etc. and the emotions people feel while being engaged in it any less fake.

Credit: Wrestling Observer.

Amy Zidian, who briefly played Jimmy Wang Yang's girlfriend, rubbed a lot of people the wrong way backstage. First she made some disparaging comments to Layla El, asking her if she was upset about her getting a push while Layla, who won the Diva Search that Zidian was eliminated from, was 'collecting dust'. She also made fun of Kristal Marshall's hair extentions, upsetting her. The worst offence was when she sarcastically asked Vickie Guerrero why she was a Diva, insinuating that she was overweight and not good-looking. Vickie responded by saying that since she wasn't pretty enough she had better get out of 'your' locker room. Zidian genuinely didn't know who Vickie was or why she was involved with Smackdown, yet by upsetting her the entire locker room more or less turned on her. She was about to get fired until Laurinaitis stood up for her and saved her job. However, when Stephanie McMahon gave Zidian some pointers for an interview segment they were making, Zidian responded with a bad attitude, asking who she was to give her advice. Stephanie told her who she was and that her family owned WWE and Zidian rolled her eyes, not believing it. Laurinaitis, who brought Zidian to TV and wanted to use her even when other creative members didn't, couldn't possibly save her after that one.

--

What a total b****.

Congrats on the SD team turning on Zidian though for doing what she did to Vickie.

And should Johnny Ace really be a talent relations person anymore after these multiple steamers of models with no wrestling experience being total airheads when it comes to the biz? Jesus H. Christ.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
What a total b****.

Congrats on the SD team turning on Zidian though for doing what she did to Vickie.

And should Johnny Ace really be a talent relations person anymore after these multiple steamers of models with no wrestling experience being total airheads when it comes to the biz? Jesus H. Christ.

Johnny Ace is a f***ing moron, but he's doing what McMahon wants. He's got no problem being the bad guy, because he gets paid very well to do it.