Respect

rangercal

Respect for The Tigers  

47 members have voted

1. 1. When Did the Tigers earn your respect?

• Spring training
    • After early hot streak through middle april
    • after taking 1st place in middle of May and not giving it up to this day
    • Who said they earned my respect?

QUOTE(T R U @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 01:15 AM)
I guess ill be the first of the 5 votes to come out and say I dont respect them and still see them fading away, im in the minority on this one

Probably because it'll be nearly impossible for that to happen. They'll have to play absolutely horrid ball from here on out.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 08:01 AM)
When they make the playoffs. Still got half a season left yet folks.

So you only have respect for teams that make the playoffs? No one picked the Tigers to be where they are. How can you not respect what they have accomplished so far, whether they wind up playing .300 baseball the rest of the way of if they make the playoffs? So you typically only respect the Yankees and Red Sox since they make the playoffs each year?

I have a lot of respect for the Royals team that came out of nowhere a couple years ago even though they didn't make the playoffs. It's good to see a perennial loser prove the critics wrong.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 11:13 PM)
So you only have respect for teams that make the playoffs? No one picked the Tigers to be where they are. How can you not respect what they have accomplished so far, whether they wind up playing .300 baseball the rest of the way of if they make the playoffs? So you typically only respect the Yankees and Red Sox since they make the playoffs each year?

I have a lot of respect for the Royals team that came out of nowhere a couple years ago even though they didn't make the playoffs. It's good to see a perennial loser prove the critics wrong.

Well I suppose I look at it from the point of view that they have chronically underachieved for the past few years, so what they're doing now has suprised a lot of people.

But they do have quite a big payroll, so they're sorta unlike the Royals from a few seasons back. I respect low market teams that have beaten the odds and performed well. A team like Florida if they can have a .500 record at the end of the season considering the players they have will have earnt my respect.

I hate the Yankees and Red Sox more so than I do the Cubs and Twins, although recently the latter has been taken over by Detroit in the minds of Sox fans. That's why I love the salary cap in other sports like the NFL and the NBA etc. which makes it a far more fairer marketplace for all teams but that's JMHO.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 08:29 AM)
That's why I love the salary cap in other sports like the NFL and the NBA etc. which makes it a far more fairer marketplace for all teams but that's JMHO.

I think most of us would agree with you on that.

We got no respect last year until we beat the big teams, won the division, and won in the playoffs, why should Detroit be any different?

To be honest for myself, I would feel a lot more respect for Detroit if they were at least .500 against us, or the Yankees, or the Red Sox. There is no doubt they are a good team, but they have a lot of guys who have not won anything, so it will be interesting to see how they preform down the stretch.

They have my respect because they have rebuilt themselves with a good mix of youth and veterans, and because I already respected Jim Leyland as a manager.

It'll be interesting to see if guys like Verlander "hit the wall" and if Rogers can avoid his historical second-half fade.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 08:40 AM)
We got no respect last year until we beat the big teams, won the division, and won in the playoffs, why should Detroit be any different?

To be honest for myself, I would feel a lot more respect for Detroit if they were at least .500 against us, or the Yankees, or the Red Sox. There is no doubt they are a good team, but they have a lot of guys who have not won anything, so it will be interesting to see how they preform down the stretch.

^^^^^^^

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)
The Trib failed to report that the Cubs lost another spot this year making it three years in a row that they have fallen. They failed to mention that the Sox went from 27th to 10th from 2004 to 2005. They currently stand at 11th. Spin, spin, spin. I am fine with the sample size and the results. The Sox have grown leaps and bounds and the Cubs continue to fall, not that it matters what they do. Just keep selling out games and the Sox office will continue to reward that loyalty.

The Full Report

The Tigers earned my respect after Maroth went down and they kept winning without a hiccup.

• 2 weeks later...