"Sox and the City"

i picked it up last week, about halfway through it.

It's not a bad read, he jumps back and forth, a chapter about a sox team from the past, and then one about the 05 team.

there's a little too much about the cubs in it for my liking, but it's a real good casual read.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
Im not denying he's a sox fan. Its just seems that towards the end of last year he all the sudden was like the Sox greatest fan.

That and he has s*** movie reviews.

I think that is more because how many columnists in Chicago can you identify as pure Sox fans? Outside of John Kass, there aren't many. I think the situation was that the token Sox fan got more coverage just because of his lonely status, vs being the greatest Sox fan ever.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
Im not denying he's a sox fan. Its just seems that towards the end of last year he all the sudden was like the Sox greatest fan.

That and he has s*** movie reviews.

Again, he has written about the Sox for years. I have seen him at the game a hell of a lot of times before last year.

Anyone claiming he's a bandwagon jumper or "recent" fan is absurd. He's always written about the Sox--I know, since I've read him since day one. For you kids, he's the guy who replaced Royko at the Sun-Times when Royko jumped to the Trib.

As for why he was writing about them more in 2005 than before... um, maybe because there's something to write about?

What was he gonna write about in 2004? Our awesome second-place finish in the Central? After collapsing throughout the final months? How about how we at least collapsed in August in 2003?

See what I mean?

I've read the excerpts and they've been pretty funny, pretty good. And he is dead-on to point out what we already know: that Harry and his 7th inning sing along... originated here with the Sox.

I'll buy it for sure.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)
Anyone claiming he's a bandwagon jumper or "recent" fan is absurd. He's always written about the Sox--I know, since I've read him since day one. For you kids, he's the guy who replaced Royko at the Sun-Times when Royko jumped to the Trib.

As for why he was writing about them more in 2005 than before... um, maybe because there's something to write about?

What was he gonna write about in 2004? Our awesome second-place finish in the Central? After collapsing throughout the final months? How about how we at least collapsed in August in 2003?

See what I mean?

I've read the excerpts and they've been pretty funny, pretty good. And he is dead-on to point out what we already know: that Harry and his 7th inning sing along... originated here with the Sox.

I'll buy it for sure.

I don't give a toss one way or the other what he is, but if writing about a team only or mostly when it's doing well doesn't make you a fair weather, bandwagon jumper, what does?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)
I don't give a toss one way or the other what he is, but if writing about a team only or mostly when it's doing well doesn't make you a fair weather, bandwagon jumper, what does?

Well.. he's not a sports writer generally. And when he does, it's usually about the Sox - and both good and bad. That's like saying someone that only post here "once in a while" or someone who can only get to the games "once in a while" is a fairweather or is a jumper. In some cases that might be so, but it's also a gross generalization.

No, not generally--he's not a sports writer, period.

So the fact that he writes about the Sox at all when he doesn't need to is a testament to his fan status.

Geez, the guy writes a book about growing up a Sox fan and that's still not enough?

Tough crowd!

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
No, not generally--he's not a sports writer, period.

So the fact that he writes about the Sox at all when he doesn't need to is a testament to his fan status.

Geez, the guy writes a book about growing up a Sox fan and that's still not enough?

Tough crowd!

I don't think it's that out of line for those not familiar with him to question his lean.

I'm almost done with the book, and it has been very entertaining so far. I have learned a lot about the White Sox that I had never known because of my age. I would recommend it to all of you, as I posted a week or two ago in the White Sox catch-all thread.

I think people are probably thinking he's a jumper just cause last years media was frantically struggling to find some celebrity sox fans to latch onto...and what he had was like richard roeper and...i mean siskel was already dead folks.

Eberts reviews are awesome.

• 6 months later...