The beginning of the end

My Dixie Normus

Reposted because I think this warrants it's own thread.

Detroit has a brutal stretch coming up.

@ Sea -3

KC - 4

CWS - 3

Oak - 4

@ Cle - 3

@ MIN - 3

August

@ TB - 4

Cle - 3

Min - 3

@ CWS - 3

@ Bos - 3

Tex - 4

CWS - 4

@ Cle - 3

@ NYY - 3

The second half of July and all of August is brutal for the Tigers. 10 games against the Sox alone is tough enough but they won't have the luxury of playing KC and anyone in the NL for a while. Toss in Boston, New York, Cleveland and Minnesota and the next 6 weeks will prove how good this team really is. Oakland and Seattle might help us pull even before the break but post ASG, the Sox should add some breathing room against teams like KC (7), TB (3), Balt (3) and of course, the Tigers (10) in that same stretch. Enjoy the ASG and then the day off afterward cause it is go time from then on out.

I am thinking the Sox pull even to +2 games by the end of July. By then end of August, it won't be much of a race to the finish.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
We read on this board that June was when the Tigers would fold. I think they went 20-7. The Sox better get a lead on them. I believe 6 of their final 9 games of the season are against KC.

After that June.... that is when I was finally convinced they are for real.

End of the Tigers, my ass. These guys have a lot of talent and are not going to fall off the face of the earth after the ASB.

That said, I'm interested to see how Verlander and Rogers pitch in August and September. And if Maroth is still having elbow issues, they're (apparently) going to be relying on Miner down the stretch.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
End of the Tigers, my ass. These guys have a lot of talent and are not going to fall off the face of the earth after the ASB.

What the hell was so impressive about thier June?

Lose 2 of 3 to Boston.

Lose 2 of 3 to CWS.

Lose 1 of 3 to Tor.

Then kick the livin day lights out of the NL.

In May it was much the same story.

Lose 2 of 3 to MIN. (not playing thier best ball at the time)

Split w/Balt. (1 Rainout)

Swept by the Yankees.

When they play good teams, they lose. They are about to hit a patch where they are going to run into a string of good (or hot) teams.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)

Lose 2 of 3 to Boston.

Lose 2 of 3 to CWS.

Lose 1 of 3 to Tor.

Swept by the Yankees.

When they play good teams, they lose. They are about to hit a patch where they are going to run into a string of good (or hot) teams.

LOL, they suck, they should have swept the Blue Jays just like the Sox did.... :bang

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)

Lose 2 of 3 to Boston.

Lose 2 of 3 to CWS.

Lose 1 of 3 to Tor.

Swept by the Yankees.

Well, let's see... their starting pitching was outstanding and they won something like 20 games. And, BTW, "only" taking 2 of 3 from Toronto isn't a negative. The Jays (47-36) aren't exactly a bad team.

They certainly haven't matched up well against the elite teams in the AL, but they don't have the best record and best ERA in the league because they suck.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
Well, let's see... their starting pitching was outstanding and they won something like 20 games. And, BTW, "only" taking 2 of 3 from Toronto isn't a negative. The Jays (47-36) aren't exactly a bad team.

They certainly haven't matched up well against the elite teams in the AL, but they don't have the best record and best ERA in the league because they suck.

I never said they sucked. They are a good ball club. But they do have losing records against Boston, Chicago, LAA, NYY and Oakland. And now they will be facing a string of teams that have been solid or are heating up like MN and Cleveland. They are not, IMO, going to go .667 through August. The Sox will pass them for good some time in late July and put 5 games on em by the end of August is my bet.

Believe it or not, I am far more worried about Minnesota. They are unbelievably hot right now, and they know it. They're slowly climbing back into the race, peaking just at the ASB--which is about as good as it gets.

Detroit could falter under the stress of trying to hold on to a one or two game lead most of the season. Or maybe not.

Then there's Cleveland--far back right now, but we know what happened last year. Four out of the five in the central could take it (so much for the formerly-called Comedy Central).

But Minnesota plays their small ball, they're a team, and their pitching is amazing.

Just winning our division is going to be a b****. I'm not even worried about the playoffs at this point--that is the least of our worries.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
Believe it or not, I am far more worried about Minnesota. They are unbelievably hot right now, and they know it. They're slowly climbing back into the race, peaking just at the ASB--which is about as good as it gets.

Detroit could falter under the stress of trying to hold on to a one or two game lead most of the season. Or maybe not.

Then there's Cleveland--far back right now, but we know what happened last year. Four out of the five in the central could take it (so much for the formerly-called Comedy Central).

But Minnesota plays their small ball, they're a team, and their pitching is amazing.

Just winning our division is going to be a b****. I'm not even worried about the playoffs at this point--that is the least of our worries.

The twins cant beat the teams in their own division.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)
The twins cant beat the teams in their own division.

That was also before they moved Liriano into the rotation, called Kubel up, got rid of Castro and Batista. This is a far different Twins team now than the one that got lit up by their al central foes.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 05:07 PM)
That was also before they moved Liriano into the rotation, called Kubel up, got rid of Castro and Batista. This is a far different Twins team now than the one that got lit up by their al central foes.

take a deep breath... lets see what happense when they aren't playing the NL central.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 07:03 PM)
take a deep breath... lets see what happense when they aren't playing the NL central.

I'm not losing sleep over them yet but that's a very, very good team and I was just making a point that they are a much different team now compared to when they were getting their asses kicked by the al central.

Chisox vs Divisional Foes/Good Teams:

Lost 2 of 3 from Cleveland

Lost 2 of 3 from Kansas City

Won 3 of 3 from Detroit

Won 2 of 3 from Toronto

Won 3 of 3 from Kansas City

Won 3 of 3 from Minnesota

Lost 2 of 3 from Seattle

Split 1 of 2 from Cleveland

Won 2 of 2 from Seattle

Won 2 of 3 from Kansas City

Lost 2 of 3 from Minnesota

Won 3 of 3 from Oakland

Lost 2 of 3 from Toronto

Lost 3 of 4 from Cleveland

Lost 2 of 3 from Texas

Won 2 of 3 from Detroit

Won 2 of 3 from Cleveland

Won 3 of 4 from Texas

Now the problem with this list is I had to include alot of medicore teams, because you haven't played Boston or New York even once.

It's true that Detroits inability to beat good teams is a concern (actually it's not, our inability to beat chicago is a concern, but heh we did win our last meeting :P) but you guys haven't even played these same good teams you're always talking about Detroit failing against.

If you guys hammer Boston (which may happen considering the DRays are owning them) then sure you have an argument, but until you actually beat these same good teams I don't see how you can say Detroit will fail because we didn't.

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 08:00 PM)
Chisox vs Divisional Foes/Good Teams:

Lost 2 of 3 from Cleveland

Lost 2 of 3 from Kansas City

Won 3 of 3 from Detroit

Won 2 of 3 from Toronto

Won 3 of 3 from Kansas City

Won 3 of 3 from Minnesota

Lost 2 of 3 from Seattle

Split 1 of 2 from Cleveland

Won 2 of 2 from Seattle

Won 2 of 3 from Kansas City

Lost 2 of 3 from Minnesota

Won 3 of 3 from Oakland

Lost 2 of 3 from Toronto

Lost 3 of 4 from Cleveland

Lost 2 of 3 from Texas

Won 2 of 3 from Detroit

Won 2 of 3 from Cleveland

Won 3 of 4 from Texas

Now the problem with this list is I had to include alot of medicore teams, because you haven't played Boston or New York even once.

It's true that Detroits inability to beat good teams is a concern (actually it's not, our inability to beat chicago is a concern, but heh we did win our last meeting :P) but you guys haven't even played these same good teams you're always talking about Detroit failing against.

If you guys hammer Boston (which may happen considering the DRays are owning them) then sure you have an argument, but until you actually beat these same good teams I don't see how you can say Detroit will fail because we didn't.

Im sorry, I was reading your post about us beating good teams and the glimmer from my World Series ring blinded me. maybe I will read your post later.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 02:31 PM)

Lose 2 of 3 to Boston.

Lose 2 of 3 to CWS.

Lose 1 of 3 to Tor.

Swept by the Yankees.

Don't forget the 3 of 4 they lost against NY at the end of May. I told my cousin before the end of May/early June, if the Tigers went above .500 in a 13 game stretch against CLE, NYY, BOS, and CHW then I would give them respect. They went 5-8, and if you throw out the Indians series, they were 3-7 in 10 games against arguably the other three teams in the top 4 of the AL and perhaps the MLB. I didn't even have to look up these numbers because it is still so clear in my mind. I still don't buy the Tigers being a great ballclub. They could win the division, but I don't see anything more than a first round exit in the playoffs.