Jon Garland

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all the critics that have been popping up the last 2 weeks for various crap need to take a damn breath and read more and post less. Grace period b****es. (this team is GOOD, enjoy it)

but.. but.. what would we talk about. . . idiots.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
I kept saying he'd come around, but this is still too early for me to agree that it's all behind him. We can talk again when his ERA drops below 4.75.

True. I'm not saying he's all the way back yet. I just think the guy deserves some props. He's takin' a beating on this board.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
True. I'm not saying he's all the way back yet. I just think the guy deserves some props. He's takin' a beating on this board.

He does take quite the beating but it was deserved when he was getting it. He was not locating, throwing inside enough and he knew it. He is not a strikeout pitcher....so if his location is off he will be off. He does deserve some props though for making some adjustments.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
Bottom line:

8 wins

3 losses.

I don't care if he has a ERA under 2 or over 8...this team wins, no matter what.

Look out Tigers...here we come.

Bottom line is he's lucky the offense has bailed him out. Everytime someone uses a pitcher's W/L as the "end all" I die a little inside.

He's pitching well of late though, good job JG!

Anyone know what Jeroime Robertson is up to these days?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 10:53 PM)
Wow, where were all these positive comments a couple of weeks ago?

He wasn't throwing this good a few weeks ago.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
Bottom line:

8 wins

3 losses.

I don't care if he has a ERA under 2 or over 8...this team wins, no matter what.

Look out Tigers...here we come.

Well, you opened up the ERA>Wins can of worms. Watch for: Jerome Robertson comments. Shawn Estes comments. Roger Clemens comments.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 10:56 PM)
Terrible comparison

It's not a comparison, it's a pitcher with a very high ERA but a great W/L record who only lasted in baseball for 2 years. It's an attack on the W/L philosophy not Jon Garland.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
Ah yes, having confidence in a player depends soley on their performance over a short period of time. Mmmm Hmmmm

Yep

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 08:55 PM)
Ah yes, having confidence in a player depends soley on their performance over a short period of time. Mmmm Hmmmm

Just like losing confidence in a player based solely on their performance over a short period of time isn't that good of an idea either.

Garland stank up the joint for 2 months, and he's had a decent month. It looks like he's pulled his head from his ass. now it's time for him to keep it out. Threads saying "Garland is terrible" a month ago are just as premature as this one. Jon Garland is not a 5.4 ERA pitcher, and he will continue to improve. The question still is...can he be the Garland from last year? Mostly good games, long streaks of good games, with some bad sections thrown in? He can still even pull that off this year.

Garland has been much better. Hopefully its something that will last for a while. Contreras and Garland threw gems, now its Vazquez's turn. I feel confident going against Ortiz. Since the Sox offense basically did nothing after the first inning tonight, they should be primed for some hitting tomorrow evening.

I always had confidence Jon would improve as the season wore on. The big key for him as has been stated has been him not giving up the long ball, it's such a key for him, since opposing hitters put a lot of balls in play against them as he's not a high K guy.

Hopefully that ERA can get down to around to the 4.5 mark by season's end.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 5, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)

If he can get his changeup just a bit better (in terms of location) and we'll see the guy that was really good and one of our aces for most of last year.