Bobby Jenks

tonyho7476

Yesterday, Bobby struggled in the 9th. And it seems to me, that the only time this happens, is when he is brought in before the ninth, or in non-save situations. When he comes in for the 9th, for a save, he seems to be automatic.

Does anyone have any stats to show how he does, based on these two different types of situations? Is Juggernaut still around, or is he dead?

Can someone move this to Palehose Talk? I f'd up.

Edited by tonyho7476

From pitches 1-15, Bobby has 31.1 IP with a 0.86 ERA and 1.05 WHIP

From pitches 16-30, Bobby has 6.1 IP with a 8.53 ERA and 1.42 WHIP

So yea, it would seem that way. Although these are pitches, not innings pitched, which makes it a bit different, but still shows the same point. However, doesn't it make sense that if he's throwing more pitches, his ERA will be higher because he will have let more runners on, which is why his pitch count is higher in the first place? Or am I talking gibberish?

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 08:20 AM)

So yea, it would seem that way. Although these are pitches, not innings pitched, which makes it a bit different, but still shows the same point. However, doesn't it make sense that if he's throwing more pitches, his ERA will be higher because he will have let more runners on, which is why his pitch count is higher in the first place? Or am I talking gibberish?

I think it has to do more with intensity. He gets himself all geeked up to go out and close.

So after he finishes the 8th, there an adrenaline let down while he sits in the dugout waiting to go back in the 9th.

He's young, that pacing will come soon enough.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

Your number seems to be saying that the more pitches he throws, the less effective he becomes. But yesterday, he gave up hits to the first two batters, and his pitch count should not have really been up. I don't know. It seems like when Ozzie brings him in before the save opportunity, he doesn't do as well, regardless of pitch count.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 08:26 AM)
I think it has to do more with intensity. He gets himself all geeked up to go out and close.

So after he finishes the 8th, there an adrenaline let down while he sits in the dugout waiting to go back in the 9th.

This could be exactly it. We all start signing 'Here comes the Boom'...he does the Boom...then sits down, and then he is less boomy. Maybe we need to play the song again, when he comes back out for the 9th?

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 08:29 AM)
Your number seems to be saying that the more pitches he throws, the less effective he becomes. But yesterday, he gave up hits to the first two batters, and his pitch count should not have really been up. I don't know. It seems like when Ozzie brings him in before the save opportunity, he doesn't do as well, regardless of pitch count.

This could be exactly it. We all start signing 'Here comes the Boom'...he does the Boom...then sits down, and then he is less boomy. Maybe we need to play the song again, when he comes back out for the 9th?

I was less boomy once.....it sucked!!

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 08:29 AM)
Your number seems to be saying that the more pitches he throws, the less effective he becomes. But yesterday, he gave up hits to the first two batters...

He struck out the first batter he faced yesterday and then went to go relax for ten minutes before facing his next batter.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)
He struck out the first batter he faced yesterday and then went to go relax for ten minutes before facing his next batter.

This is why I don't like to see Bobby in until the ninth. We could have had Politte come in and get that last out in the 8th.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 08:52 AM)

That's it right there.

He should have a long talk with Mariano Rivera during the all-star game on how to keep yourself ready and motivated for a 2 inning save.

I think we forget Bobby made his ML debut just one year ago.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 08:26 AM)

Interesting theory. Especially because you can see how much the adreneline means to Bobby. I wonder if the sit lets his mind wonder, and his intensity lapse.

One thing I did notice yesterday is that he didn't throw any breaking stuff to the first few batters, and the Os caught onto that. Once Bobby started mixing in the curve and slider, he became unhittable again.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 09:24 AM)
That's it right there.

He should have a long talk with Mariano Rivera during the all-star game on how to keep yourself ready and motivated for a 2 inning save.

I think we forget Bobby made his ML debut just one year ago.

Thanks for giving us some perspective. You can make a good argument that Bobby is not THE best closer in baseball, but considering he had baptism by fire, he's pretty fkn' good.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
Interesting theory. Especially because you can see how much the adreneline means to Bobby. I wonder if the sit lets his mind wonder, and his intensity lapse.

One thing I did notice yesterday is that he didn't throw any breaking stuff to the first few batters, and the Os caught onto that. Once Bobby started mixing in the curve and slider, he became unhittable again.

Yeah, he can't come in and throw 2 fastballs and a curve everytime to get the out. His 'Joe Morgan Way Too Fast Slider' and curve need to make more of an appearance on the first pitch.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)

I wouldn't be surprised if he (as well as many other big leaguers) has a touch of ADD which causes him to lose focus.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 09:43 AM)
um, what?

To be honest, that wouldn't surprise me at all. The guy had a ton of problems growing up, and lots of problems in school imparticular. There are many occasions where something like this ends up being ADD. I know we are playing Monday Morning shrink here, but with the limited body of evidence presence, its not a bad thought.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 09:43 AM)
um, what?

Responding to SS2k5's comment..

"I wonder if the sit lets his mind wonder, and his intensity lapse. "

Something that happens to those with ADD.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 09:45 AM)
To be honest, that wouldn't surprise me at all. The guy had a ton of problems growing up, and lots of problems in school imparticular. There are many occasions where something like this ends up being ADD. I know we are playing Monday Morning shrink here, but with the limited body of evidence presence, its not a bad thought.

In the big picture, these guys are playing a kids game. Not out of line for them to have that mindset.

um, what?

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 09:45 AM)
Responding to SS2k5's comment..

"I wonder if the sit lets his mind wonder, and his intensity lapse. "

Something that happens to those with ADD.

VRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM....

Thats the joke flying over your head, Steff. :P

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 09:46 AM)
Doesn't everyone have ADD these days?

These days? I just turned 30, not 80.

Regardling children, I think a lot of doctor's would like for folks to believe that. In reality, I don't think so. Regardling adults, I think a lot of adults who had tough times growing up - without much parental involvement and bumps in school and no formal diagnosis, more than likely do.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)
VRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM....

Thats the joke flying over your head, Steff. :P

I wasn't sure if it was, or wasn't.

Now leave me alone :whip

Where'd you find those numbers? While that's an interesting stat, I don't think it really says all that much. Considering Bobby is mainly a 1 inning pitcher, when he gets up past 20 pitches in an inning, that's usually an indication that he's struggling somewhat. It also means that in pitches 15-30, there's likely to be men on base already, where that is not as likely to be the case on pitches 1-15, which would explain the large disparity in ERA.

Really, all this shows is that the longer an inning Bobby has, the more likely his WHIP will go up (although not by all that much.) I'm sure you could say the same about most pitchers in baseball.

Yesterday, his struggles in the ninth were less attributed to him and more to the O's. His fastball had the same velocity in the ninth as it did in the eighth, but the O's batters seemed to be waiting to swing at only fastballs and sat on everything else. Once Ozzie realized this, Jenks went almost exclusively to his slider/curveball and struck out the side. If anything, last night was a testament to just how good Bobby Jenks has gotten, not to why he shouldn't go out for the eighth and ninth.