Bobby Jenks

tonyho7476

Personally, I loved the call by Ozzie to bring in Jenks in the 8th. Instead of worrying what's wrong with Jenks, I'll just give the Orioles credit for some good swings against him. Jenks didn't have any control of his fastball in either inning, and it made it easier for the Orioles to hit. I'll take my chances with him getting 4 outs though any game.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
Personally, I loved the call by Ozzie to bring in Jenks in the 8th. Instead of worrying what's wrong with Jenks, I'll just give the Orioles credit for some good swings against him. Jenks didn't have any control of his fastball in either inning, and it made it easier for the Orioles to hit. I'll take my chances with him getting 4 outs though any game.

I'm not worried about Jenks. Just siting an observation. I would prefer he sticks with the 9th, and the other guys get us there.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
I'm not worried about Jenks. Just siting an observation. I would prefer he sticks with the 9th, and the other guys get us there.

Why not go with your best in the situation he was brought in? That situation could have been just as important as any situation in the 9th inning. That strategy is what has set Joe Torre apart from other managers over the last decade. He gets Rivera into the game as soon as a big out is needed from the 8th inning on.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)

Yeah I don't want it to sound like I am worried about Bobby either. Guys have rough outings, games, etc, that doesn't bother me. The pitch stuff was just something I picked up, and wanted to see what other people thought...

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
Why not go with your best in the situation he was brought in? That situation could have been just as important as any situation in the 9th inning. That strategy is what has set Joe Torre apart from other managers over the last decade. He gets Rivera into the game as soon as a big out is needed from the 8th inning on.

I'm all for it...if Jenks can perform for the two innings like that...and overall, he has not. He has been awesome coming in with 3 outs to go...but has stumbled some when he comes in early. Again, I also asked if anyone had any resource for stats on this. Did he get it done last night? Sure. But how many times have you seen him start the 9th, and put them down 1-2-3? A lot.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
Yeah, he can't come in and throw 2 fastballs and a curve everytime to get the out. His 'Joe Morgan Way Too Fast Slider' and curve need to make more of an appearance on the first pitch.

I noticed that he drifted away from the offspeed stuff during that brief period when he was getting hit yesterday. Once he went back to the hammer on 0-1 0-2 he Ked 2 batters in a row.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
That's Roberto Jenks.

Vowwy Yenks.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
Responding to SS2k5's comment..

"I wonder if the sit lets his mind wonder, and his intensity lapse. "

Something that happens to those with ADD.

I don't know enough about Bobby Jenk's pastto make that kind of determination, but I have experience with ADD and ADHD as my two step-sons have the disorder. It is a difficult thing for a person to overcome and concentration is something that's hard for a person with ADD to maintain. However, there is alot more to it than just that, but Steff's comments and SS2k5's observations are very valid.

Big Bad Bobby Jenks!

I love this guy.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the end of the game last night. So I can't really comment on this situation specifically, but I can say I seem to remember other times where this has happened. He has come in in the 8th, and gotten hit around a little bit. Maybe the ADD/ADHD thing is valid, who knows?

Personally I just like bringing in Bobby for the 9th, but it HAS to be for the start of the 9th, and not for Ozzie to play his matchups etc.

At least now, we've got options like Riske that can take over in that crucial situation in the 8th if a RHH comes up to the plate and you've got a lefty like Thornton or Cotts (who I would still take my chances with) on the mound and Ozzie wanted to make the switch.

We should be thankful for what Bobby has done this season after what happened in ST, and with all the questions about whether his arm would hold up etc.