Official Game Thread 7/7 - Sawx vs Sox 7:35

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH
I still think it could have been a completely different game if this umpire didn't give Lester the gift on the 3-0 pitch to Dye in the 3rd inning. I wasn't impressed at all with Lester.

If you weren't impressed with Lester then you are damn hard to impress. He changed speeds really well and made good inside pitches at the right time. Not taking our hitters off the hook but Lester was good, he knows what he's doing, even with the spotty control.

And yes, the strike zone was definitely weird tonite, for both sides.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
Can't get too concerned, as there's nothing you or I can do, and I'm confident in saying there's nothing KW and Ozzie are going to do.

Well, then they should be fired if they can't admit mistakes and don't want to do what's good for the team.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
Is anyone at least remotely concerned that one of our top two pitchers now has a 4 ERA (this coupled with 3 other starters who also have 4+ ERAs)? We've got the worst pitching staff of any of the current playoff teams.

Think what it would be if we didn't have "the best pitching coach in the game."

Maybe it's time to earn that reputation again.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 02:53 AM)
If you weren't impressed with Lester then you are damn hard to impress. He changed speeds really well and made good inside pitches at the right time. Not taking our hitters off the hook but Lester was good, he knows what he's doing, even with the spotty control.

And yes, the strike zone was definitely weird tonite, for both sides.

I've just never seen him before, and the way some people built him up, you'd think he'd look like Kazmir up there. He was just wild enough to throw our hitters off, and we couldn't get that big hit. And FWIW, I thought Bedard on Monday was the best performance of the year against us.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 09:55 PM)
I havent been able to see too much of him, and am interested to see the hype....

Well, if Timlin does his job, Papelbon might not see the heart of our lineup.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
Lester is undefeated this season with a 3.06 ERA and Delcarmen has had ups and downs but a 3.86 ERA overall. Pretty good.

Sarcasm without the green, pointing out we got beat by a couple young no-names.

Guest JimH
I've just never seen him before, and the way some people built him up, you'd think he'd look like Kazmir up there. He was just wild enough to throw our hitters off, and we couldn't get that big hit. And FWIW, I thought Bedard on Monday was the best performance of the year against us.

It wasn't just the wildness.

He disguises that offspeed pitch really well, witness the pitch Thome struck out on. Plus he changes speeds on his breaking stuff, he definitely has a feel for pitching. That said, the hitters didn't execute.