Those Obnoxious Boston Fans

LVSoxFan

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
It seemed a little far fetched to me, but if you listened to the pregame show yesterday as I did on my way to the park, it was a topic of discussion.

There were plenty...but not more than a few thousand...which is a few thousand too many.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 08:43 AM)
Hey, whatever. I didn't poll the crowd to see where they were from. I just know they were cheering too much and I didn't like it. Here, New England, f*** 'em all. And I'm sick of Big Sloppy and Big Sloppy T-Shirts.

I wasn't directly referring to your post, it was more of a general statement.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 08:45 AM)
You also have to realize that there were more Red Sox fans than White Sox fans on both friday and saturday, which I expected, according to Farmer and Singleton.

If there were more Red Sox fans than White Sox fans, then the Red Sox have the quietest fans in baseball. 3-5 thousand sounds more realistic. Somebody will have to check my numbers here, but I BELIEVE 28,000 tickets are sold for every game through season tickets alone. So the amount of visiting fans for any team cannot be that high.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
I wasn't directly referring to your post, it was more of a general statement.

If there were more Red Sox fans than White Sox fans, then the Red Sox have the quietest fans in baseball. 3-5 thousand sounds more realistic. Somebody will have to check my numbers here, but I BELIEVE 28,000 tickets are sold for every game through season tickets alone. So the amount of visiting fans for any team cannot be that high.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of Red Sox fans in season ticket holder seats.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
Somebody will have to check my numbers here, but I BELIEVE 28,000 tickets are sold for every game through season tickets alone. So the amount of visiting fans for any team cannot be that high.

With Boston fans offering to pay TRIPLE face... many ST holders gave up their seats.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was at the game Friday, and while there were a lot of Red Sox fans there, it was probably around 5000-6000. I would imagine it was the same the other 2 games.

It's interesting that Farmer and Singleton would even debate it if was only 5-6 thousand. You're probably right though, as someone who went to both saturday and sunday's games.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:47 AM)
With Boston fans offering to pay TRIPLE face... many ST holders gave up their seats.

True...another similarity to Cub fans. Paying out their asses for tickets. That makes them the most hardcore fans around. :rolly

Me not paying that much for a ticket makes me a bad fan. I say it makes me broker (more broke, whateva) than I already am!

Three times face value at the Cell, plus a plane ticket both ways, isn't much more expensive than parking and seeing a game from the lower level.

It makes sense to pay that fare, to come to one of the best cities in the world, and watch your team play in one of the premier parks. It just does.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
It's interesting that Farmer and Singleton would even debate it if was only 5-6 thousand. You're probably right though, as someone who went to both saturday and sunday's games.

They were very loud. I think its shocking to hear that much noise for an opponent at your home park. They sounded like 15,000.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)
They were very loud. I think its shocking to hear that much noise for an opponent at your home park. They sounded like 15,000.

I wouldnt go that far. The 35 thousand white sox fans drowned them out with ease. I would say around 6-7 thousand red sox fans maximum. They were loud, but only seemed extremely loud because we didnt have that much to cheer for most days.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
I wouldnt go that far. The 35 thousand white sox fans drowned them out with ease. I would say around 6-7 thousand red sox fans maximum. They were loud, but only seemed extremely loud because we didnt have that much to cheer for most days.

yes, that was the problem...not having reason to cheer.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
Three times face value at the Cell, plus a plane ticket both ways, isn't much more expensive than parking and seeing a game from the lower level.

It makes sense to pay that fare, to come to one of the best cities in the world, and watch your team play in one of the premier parks. It just does.

I was kinda sorta joking. I'm 20, in college, and broke. I ain't paying 3 times face value for tickets. I don't even park in the lots because they cost 18 bucks. I have my own parking spot.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)

Not quite.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
And (WHITE) Sox fans are obnoxious when they come to visiting parks, now, too. Think about it.

def. I didnt think they were that terrible this weekend, we were just pissed cause we were losing. Also, the Red Sox crowd that was at the cell wasnt indicative of most fans. Alot of them were converted cubs fans, or just bandwagon jumpers. I asked every one I saw if they flew in for the game, where they grew up, how did they become a Red Sox fan. Only one was a legit born and raised Red Sox fan. I wouldnt say most of them represented die hard Red Sox fans, and I didnt file them as such. Regardless, they werent that bad, they just cheered when they got the best of us. Thats all.

I was in Boston this weekend for a wedding...

FYI- In Boston the world does revolve around the red sox...that is why the fans think that.

The whole trying to connect the Cubs and Red Sox fans due to their "curses" before the Red Sox won really was a disservice to Red Sox fans.

That being said I liked red sox fans more before they won the world series, now they are more obnoxious.

And yes white sox fans are much more obnoxious this year.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not quite.

It's closer than you think, Fenway is ridiculously priced.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was kinda sorta joking. I'm 20, in college, and broke. I ain't paying 3 times face value for tickets. I don't even park in the lots because they cost 18 bucks. I have my own parking spot.

I parked yesterday in the ITT lots, and we were still charged 18 dollars. I was shocked at how far away we were and the fact we were paying full price for parking, even if there were shuttle buses.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)

I parked yesterday in the ITT lots, and we were still charged 18 dollars. I was shocked at how far away we were and the fact we were paying full price for parking, even if there were shuttle buses.

It's far away, but the buses are great. They take you right up front. I've done that when I wasn't the one driving. If I'm driving, I'm stubborn and won't pay for parking. That's 3 beers I could be having instead. So I park on a side street.

But I think all but 2 or 3 lots are reserved now because of all the season tickets that were sold. So you have to get there super early to get a cash lot by the park.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)

I'm aware. But having gone to Boston last year - paying airfare and accomidations, it's not even close.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
I used to think I really hated Red Sox fans, then I realized all the reasons had nothing to do with Red Sox fans. Everyone I met in Boston and at Fenway was cool, knowlegeable and very interested in Chicago. :huh

Before last year I would totally agree with you. We had the absolute worst time in Boston last year. They took "our s*** don't stink cause we're the world champs" way too far. This weekend I did not meet ONE person from Boston. Plenty from "Lakeview" though. :rolly

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)
Before last year I would totally agree with you. We had the absolute worst time in Boston last year. They took "our s*** don't stink cause we're the world champs" way too far.

They've been dumped on so hard by Yankees fans over the years that they've actually become worse, IMO. At the risk of generalizing, people from New York tend to be loud and arrogant, while people from Boston tend to be more cynical and nasty.

Edited by WCSox