Burks may need Elbow surgery

southsider2k5

Cleveland Indians designated hitter Ellis Burks may need surgery after tests found a pinched nerve in his right elbow caused muscle degeneration in his hand.

The club placed Burks on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday, and said the 38-year-old will likely undergo surgery.

Burks, who leads Cleveland with 28 RBIs, has been bothered by numbness and weakness in his hand recently. He had tests Monday to determine the extent of the injury.

The club said an MRI test revealed Burks has a pinched ulnar nerve in his elbow, which caused the deterioration in his right hand.

To fill Burks' roster spot, the Indians recalled outfielder Coco Crisp from Triple-A Buffalo. Crisp was batting .360 with the Bisons and was among the International League leaders in eight offensive categories.

This is Burks' 10th career trip to the disabled list in 16 seasons. Last year, he batted .301 with 32 homers and 91 RBIs and was named the AL's top DH.

Burks, who is signed through this season with the Indians holding an option for 2004, was batting .179 (10-for-56) since May 19.

The Indians had been waiting for the right time to bring up Crisp, and Burks' injury provided them with one.

The 23-year-old Crisp has been tearing up Triple-A pitching since opening day. He was ranked first in hits (81) and runs (42), second in on-base percentage (.434), third in average (.360) and fourth in steals (20).

Crisp was acquired from St. Louis in July as the player to be named in the deal that sent pitcher Chuck Finley to the Cardinals. In 32 games with the Indians, he batted .260 with one homer and nine RBIs

Brandofan,

Don't forget about the Twins. As much as I loathe those jackoffs, they keep coming up with good young players.

Speaking of - they have some "hot prospect" in the minors who's close to being ready to play 1B for them. They will probably look to move Doug Mienkiewiecz - I hate the guy and want him dusted every time he faces us, but he would look good on the Sox.

Brandofan,

Don't forget about the Twins.  As much as I loathe those jackoffs, they keep coming up with good young players.

Speaking of - they have some "hot prospect" in the minors who's close to being ready to play 1B for them.  They will probably look to move Doug Mienkieviecz - I hate the guy and want him dusted every time he faces us, but he would look good on the Sox.

Agreed.....assuming Thomas either figures out how to hit as a DH again, or he is off the team.

The Twins infield defense is worse then it actually is. They thank Douggy M for a lot of their non-errors.

But unless they flat out release him....we aren't getting him. I wouldn't mind signing him...and I'd actually pay about $2 mill for him. He's a very good guy in the clubhouse, he's got an OK bat(he can probably hit like .280 15 70 a year....JT Snow-esque numbers) and he has stellar defense(also JT Snow-esque). Also....it would be awesome to sign him....us getting back at the Twins, and Mientkiewicz getting back at them as well.

Brandofan,

Don't forget about the Twins.  As much as I loathe those jackoffs, they keep coming up with good young players.

Speaking of - they have some "hot prospect" in the minors who's close to being ready to play 1B for them.  They will probably look to move Doug Mienkieviecz - I hate the guy and want him dusted every time he faces us, but he would look good on the Sox.

Agreed.....assuming Thomas either figures out how to hit as a DH again, or he is off the team.

The Twins infield defense is worse then it actually is. They thank Douggy M for a lot of their non-errors.

But unless they flat out release him....we aren't getting him. I wouldn't mind signing him...and I'd actually pay about $2 mill for him. He's a very good guy in the clubhouse, he's got an OK bat(he can probably hit like .280 15 70 a year....JT Snow-esque numbers) and he has stellar defense(also JT Snow-esque). Also....it would be awesome to sign him....us getting back at the Twins, and Mientkiewicz getting back at them as well.

Why not just get JT Snow......he's J.T. Snow esque.

Gracie wouldn't be a horrible pickup either. He's on the wrong side of things, but in a fire sale you could maybe bring him back to Chicago for cheap. Of course the Sox would have to unload some of their million first baseman before adding another.

Carlos Pena would be a solid pickup if his stock has fallen since being a top prospect (He's going to be good).

Gracie wouldn't be a horrible pickup either.  He's on the wrong side of things, but in a fire sale you could maybe bring him back to Chicago for cheap.  Of course the Sox would have to unload some of their million first baseman before adding another. 

Carlos Pena would be a solid pickup if his stock has fallen since being a top prospect (He's going to be good).

Pretty sure Pena will stay at in the Tigers 1Base plans for a long time...