I have had enough with Chris Widger

santo=dorf

Yeah alot of people felt bad for Girardi but he stood his ground down in south FL, glad to see the marlins doing good things. The best part about the Olivo/Marlin conection is hes cheap($700,000) kinda young hes only 27 i know for a catcher thats maso menos but still, i think he will be their C for a while.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beautox @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 12:55 AM)
Yeah alot of people felt bad for Girardi but he stood his ground down in south FL, glad to see the marlins doing good things. The best part about the Olivo/Marlin conection is hes cheap($700,000) kinda young hes only 27 i know for a catcher thats maso menos but still, i think he will be their C for a while.

Girardi's been mentioned a couple of times in the New York papers the last couple of days as the replacement for Torre if Steinbrenner decided to can him.

Wonder if Girardi would actually leave though.

I don't Girardi would, he seems to be a man of principle. It would be too easy for him to take the Yankee position and win. I think he would rather build his reputation from the ground up starting with these baby marlins, that way he can lay claim to their success and rightfully so.

Another note on the Olivo front, since hes only 27 he realistically can be their catcher until hes roughly 33/34ish and then remain in a back up capacity. Since the marlins goal is to rush the NL by '08 that would only make Olivo 29, I don't see him going anywhere JMO, provided he can play up to his potential as seen this year.

Yeah Big MO found a good fit. Actually, he was excellent in San Diego too but they fell for the memory of Mike Piazza who has been about the same offensively, worse defensively, and much more expensive. How bad do you think the Cubs wish Girardi would have been available after this year so he could replace Baker? Wow. Anyways, yeah you don't want to give up much for a backup catcher because he literally won't play in the playoffs but if you can give up a c level guy and improve yourself-do it

The fact is that Widger isn't good on either side of the ball. He cannot hit and he cannot call a good game anymore. That, in itself, makes him useless to us. It really has gotten to the point where when you see him in the lineup, you expect to lose.

I don't know if they'll be able to make a trade for another backup catcher, but I can't see one costing too much.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
Runs given up by the Sox in Widger's last 7 starts

7 ER (L)

8 R, 6 ER (L)

7 ER (L)

5 ER (W Comeback win)

4 ER (L)

2 ER (W)

10 ER (L)

Anybody notice a trend?

Tonight he went 0-2 with a walk to lower his average to .203.

Last year was a great story for him, but he is seriously hurting the team.

I know some of you scoffed at the idea of acquiring a new back up defensive catcher like Blanco, but can really afford these automatic losses with Widger behind the plate?

Trade for Miguel Olivo? He's hitting .291 and could cut down on the stolen base attempts off Freddy.

EDIT: Whoops, Olivo's already been mentioned.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 10:56 PM)
Trade for Miguel Olivo? He's hitting .291 and could cut down on the stolen base attempts off Freddy.

He's NEVER going to be back in a Sox uni. Nice try.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
You think Widger calls a s*** game, Olivo is considered one of the worst in baseball at putting down the fingers.

Great minds.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
You think Widger calls a s*** game, Olivo is considered one of the worst in baseball at putting down the fingers.

Calling a game is something that can be learned, unlike other facets of the game.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
Calling a game is something that can be learned, unlike other facets of the game.

So you want to acquire a catcher and have him learn on the job? How does that help at all? You're better off just sticking with the veteran catcher who has shown a history of being a pretty damn good backup catcher. Also, Olivo has been in the bigs for 5 years now + 8 years in the minors, that's 13 seasons of pro ball and he still can't call a game to save his life, if he can't learn what pitches to call over 13 seasons I don't think the light is suddenly going to flip on for him now.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
So you want to acquire a catcher and have him learn on the job? How does that help at all? You're better off just sticking with the veteran catcher who has shown a history of being a pretty damn good backup catcher. Also, Olivo has been in the bigs for 5 years now + 8 years in the minors, that's 13 seasons of pro ball and he still can't call a game to save his life, if he can't learn what pitches to call over 13 seasons I don't think the light is suddenly going to flip on for him now.

Even if the light never flips for Olivo, and he has to receive his signs from the dugout, his .291 average and cannon throwing arm is still a better alternative than Chris Widger.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)
Even if the light never flips for Olivo, and he has to receive his signs from the dugout, his .291 average and cannon throwing arm is still a better alternative than Chris Widger.

Olivo is not going to hit .290 all year and cannon arm or not he's not throwing out anyone when Freddy is on the mound either. I'm also sure a guy like Mark Buehrle would just love to have Olivo behind the plate when he's pitching to slow him down completely.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 11:35 PM)

Did you mean his .229 average? Because that's what he's put up in his career when facing real oponents in the AL. All he's proven this season with his .291 average is that he can hit AAAA talent.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
Did you mean his .229 average? Because that's what he's put up in his career when facing real oponents in the AL. All he's proven this season with his .291 average is that he can hit AAAA talent.

Yeah, the fact that he's playing in the inferior league probably is part of the reason for his improved batting average, though we must not forget that he is entering his prime age of production.

Even factoring in a regression on his 2006 NL average, I'd still take him, his cannon arm and good speed over Widger. I still believe the presence of Olivo's throwing arm would cut down on potential basestealers when Freddy's throwing, compared to when AJP or Widger are catching.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 12:01 AM)
Or we can have Stew for relatively nothing for the next couple years.

He doesn't have the same mistique as Olivo. Miguel was already the s*** before he was dealt for Garcia, now he's a legend.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)
He doesn't have the same mistique as Olivo. Miguel was already the s*** before he was dealt for Garcia, now he's a legend.

The real, and only legend in that deal was Jeremy Thomas Reed. Don't you ever make that mistake again..... EVA!!

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 12:01 AM)
Or we can have Stew for relatively nothing for the next couple years.

We can have both. Upgrade Widger with Olivo for 2006, then trade him away for Stewart if he's ready for 2007.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)
jreedfan8 sucks.

That poster is a retired legend. He now hides off the name SoxAce, but can still be spotted when Reed's name is mentioned. That's how you can tell he's still there. ;)

I believe it was JimH who said that the pitcher like throwing to Stew.....either way....it seemed that Olivo was at his best catching Loaiza. I'd love to see his CERA for pitchers not named Esteban in years past.

....and the streak of a White Sox pitcher not having a quality start with Widger behind the plate continues.

Last time it happened: June 15th, Buehrle against the Rangers

Time before that, Garcia against the Scrubs (a team he owns.) on May 20th

Conicidence? :huh