I have had enough with Chris Widger

santo=dorf

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
I really think the cubs would take a sack of marbles for henry blanco, and althoughhe cant hit, at least he gives you excellent defense, whereas widger cant hit and cant throw

Only if they deal Maddux first, or are about to deal Maddux. They may still hope to resign him this offseason, for all we know.

Thoughts on Henry Blanco since he's been brought up in this thread ...

He can shut down the running game, or at least deter it. Personally I wanted them to sign this guy when he was a FA.

Still not sure why the Cubs would help out the White Sox and the Sox wouldn't want to give up too much for a pending FA - I think Blanco's contract expires at year's end.

As for his game calling ability, I haven't seen too many good ones these past two years, maybe it's the pitchers he has to work with? :bang Could be Widger's problem too.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thoughts on Henry Blanco since he's been brought up in this thread ...

He can shut down the running game, or at least deter it. Personally I wanted them to sign this guy when he was a FA.

Still not sure why the Cubs would help out the White Sox and the Sox wouldn't want to give up too much for a pending FA - I think Blanco's contract expires at year's end.

As for his game calling ability, I haven't seen too many good ones these past two years, maybe it's the pitchers he has to work with? :bang Could be Widger's problem too.

Jim, Blanco is the a FA to be which makes it more ideal to bring up Stewart next year rather than to try and throw him in the mix right now.

Maddux, Prior, and Zambrano all pitch a hell of alot better with Blanco over Barrett and I have seen signs of frustrations between Prior and Barrett and Maddux and Barrett when they have a rough outing. Zambrano pitched very well today. Did you happen to see who was behind the plate? Blanco has caught Maddux in a couple of stints, the Braves' staffs, Santana, Radke, and Prior just to name a few, but how much success can those pitchers atttribute to Blanco? I'm not saying Blanco is solely responsible for their success, but there certainly is a connection.

Why would the Cubs help out the Sox? Chin Hendry said he'd trade all free agents to be (hence the Maddux rumors, Williamson, Walker, and Pierre rumors.) How many other contending teams wish to upgrade for their backup catcher?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Henry Blanco (the crappy hitter who calls a good game) is now batting 36 points higher than Chris Widger (the crappy hitter who calls a bad game).

I think it's more important to look at their LHP splits because that how Ozzie would most likely like to play them.

I think after today, Blanco has twice the OPS as Widger against LHP. :o

Edited by santo=dorf