2006 Sox = 2003 Sox?

shoota

The similiarities are many. Both teams could hit, with plenty of pop throughout the lineup. Both had a couple stud starting pitchers: Colon/Buehrle in 2003 and Contreras/Buehrle in 2006. Both teams were one of the best teams in baseball.

The 2003 team ultimately couldn't even make the playoffs, failing to beat the first-place Twins late in the season when it mattered most. Hopefully the 2006 Sox won't face the same story when playing Detroit.

We've had a fantastic first half.

That should not be ignored in discussing the first half and our position

in the race.

The Tigers simply been the best team in baseball. We've been second best.

That can change.

It's hard to imagine Detroit playing at this pace the whole way.

It's possible, though.

GO SOX!

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 05:36 PM)
The similiarities are many. Both teams could hit, with plenty of pop throughout the lineup. Both had a couple stud starting pitchers: Colon/Buehrle in 2003 and Contreras/Buehrle in 2006. Both teams were one of the best teams in baseball.

The 2003 team ultimately couldn't even make the playoffs, failing to beat the first-place Twins late in the season when it mattered most. Hopefully the 2006 Sox won't face the same story when playing Detroit.

you are horrible. Face it, just a horrible fan.

:headshake

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 08:57 PM)
I just dont understand it.

There are very valid concerns with this team( I was basically ripping out my hair at the game today). However, early and mid September of 05 should have all told us that a GREAT baseball season can have its ups and downs, and just ride it out, and enjoy it rather than continually question this club.

I have seen members on this board actually say that they didnt enjoy 05 as much because they over analyzed and overreacted to things in 05. Just enjoy the ride. I did 05, and dont regret a second.

Those who live and die with the Sox based on the highs and lows of the team experience greater highs than those who are consistent in their naive joy. Therefore, those who were most vocal and worried about the state of their team also were the fans who enjoyed the playoff run most.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
Those who live and die with the Sox based on the highs and lows of the team experience greater highs than those who are consistent in their naive joy. Therefore, those who were most vocal and worried about the state of their team also were the fans who enjoyed the playoff run most.

:headshake

There's a difference between experiencing the highs and lows and panicking every time something doesn't go our way.

:wacko:

When exactly were the 03 sox 25 games over .500. Lets state some more similarities, for most of the first half of 03 the offense absolutely stunk and couldn't get anything done, same with the 06 sox I guess......oh. Next, this was the time period where our 5 starters couldn't win a game to save their lives, the 06 Sox have 9 wins from their 5 starter. This team has problems that it needs to work out and this very well might have been the most frusterating game I've ever been to but this comparison is absolutely awful.

Edited by Rowand44

The 2003 ball club didn't play defense worth a s***. They had Olivo, D'Angelo Jimenez, Jose Valentin, Carlos Lee and even Carl Everett played CF for a short while. That's about as bad as you can get defensively. As far as how full time hitters were, the only player to hit over .300 was Magglio Ordonez. The 2003 team had a decent 1-2-3-4 top of the rotation, but Danny Wright was never a major league baseball player. And the bullpen, as shaky as it has been this year, was far worse. Jose Paniagua even made an appearance in the Sox pen. How about Rick White and Billy Koch?

Edited by BobDylan

I agree with the contention that 2003 was not a terribly good team and that 2006 is vastly superior. I think that 2003 is overrated in a lot of minds here. That team had some great talent, but I don't think every really was a true threat to win the World Series or even make the play-offs.

If you want to make a comparison of '06, I would do this one, but hear me out before you reply. 2006 White Sox : 2005 White Sox :: 2005 Red Sox : 2004 Red Sox. The later editions of both teams had a lot of expectations after winning the World Series, both had big rotation issues, and neither seemed to have the pen nailed down for a long stretch. That said, we should take the 2006 Red Sox as encouragement. Moves can be made to really solidify this team this coming off season and make it a real power.

Relax people..

If we go .500 the rest of the way thats gonna give us 94 wins

How many people think that this team will be a 500 team the rest of the season? I dont. Too many people are ready to jump off the cliff, we know what our pitching can do so its safe to think that at some point they are going to turn it around as a whole.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
I agree with the contention that 2003 was not a terribly good team and that 2006 is vastly superior. I think that 2003 is overrated in a lot of minds here. That team had some great talent, but I don't think every really was a true threat to win the World Series or even make the play-offs.

If you want to make a comparison of '06, I would do this one, but hear me out before you reply. 2006 White Sox : 2005 White Sox :: 2005 Red Sox : 2004 Red Sox. The later editions of both teams had a lot of expectations after winning the World Series, both had big rotation issues, and neither seemed to have the pen nailed down for a long stretch. That said, we should take the 2006 Red Sox as encouragement. Moves can be made to really solidify this team this coming off season and make it a real power.

I guess this is the new favorite comparison for everyone to make. I guess I understand why everyone is making it but it's still very far off, it's not even close. As bad as our pitching has been, we're still an above average pitching team at this time. That is with everyone minus JC pitching below their career numbers in our rotation. The top two in our rotation at this time are still better than anything Boston had in their rotation last year, and our pen is 90 times better than their's was. They had 0 good starting pitchers and they didn't have a closer. I know why people want to throw out that comparison but even with our pitching underachieving a lot as of now, 06 White Sox pitching>>>>>>>>>>>>>>05 Red Sox pitching

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 09:55 PM)
:wacko:

When exactly were the 03 sox 25 games over .500. Lets state some more similarities, for most of the first half of 03 the offense absolutely stunk and couldn't get anything done, same with the 06 sox I guess......oh. Next, this was the time period where our 5 starters couldn't win a game to save their lives, the 06 Sox have 9 wins from their 5 starter. This team has problems that it needs to work out and this very well might have been the most frusterating game I've ever been to but this comparison is absolutely awful.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Therefore, those who were most vocal and worried about the state of their team also were the fans who enjoyed the playoff run most.

You are wrong about that. I thoroughly enjoyed the run and though I was

concerned big time about Cleveland catching us, I was not wanting to run

the players out of town.

The way I see this year is ... the Sox are going to be in the race all year

long and win a ton of games, probably a couple less than last year. If somehow

Detroit can keep this up, Detroit will win the division.

However, if Detroit stumbles some and Detroit simply has to hit a tough

stretch at some point, we will again win the division.

If Detroit wins it, then we'll just have to eke out a wild card spot and

take care of business in the postseason.

KW will be making some moves. Bank on it.

2003 first half = 45-49

2006 first half = 56-32 at the worst

end of comparison

Of course there are differences between the two teams, but there are quite a few similarities. And if the 2006 squad fails down the stretch like the 2003 team did, that would likely seal the comparison.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
Of course there are differences between the two teams, but there are quite a few similarities. And if the 2006 squad fails down the stretch like the 2003 team did, that would likely seal the comparison.

There really aren't many similarities at all.