Hammer Time, Part Two

Rex Kickass

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...1211541,00.html

Could Tom DeLay be headed back to the House?

A source close to the ex-Congressman tells TIME that DeLay is planning an aggressive campaign to retake the House seat he quit in June if an appeals court lets stand a ruling by a federal judge last week that his name must stay on November's ballot—even though he has moved to Virginia.

"If it isn't overturned, Katy bar the door!" says a G.O.P. official. "Guess he'll have to fire up the engines on the campaign and let 'er rip."

DeLay, awaiting trial for money laundering, never intended to fade away. He plans to give paid speeches and has signed a deal to have his bio penned by best-selling author Stephen Mansfield. But to run, DeLay would have to raise money fast: his campaign fund has well under $1 million left. At least he knows his would-be opponent well: ex-Congressman Nick Lampson's original district was eliminated in a redistricting engineered by DeLay.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)

Kinda ironic that they wouldn't let Delay off the ballot, when the Democrats successfully replaced Robert Torricelli, similarly affected with concerns about his character, with Frank Lautenberg less than a month before the 2002 election and in rather flagrant violation of state law requiring such a change be made at least 48 days in place of an election. And wasn't Wellsotne replaced onthe ballot about 10 days or so before that election? I guess only Dems can be replaced on ballots.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 05:55 PM)
isnt it a state rule, not a federal rule. what's legal in NJ isnt legal in TX.

lets be fair in the Wellstone case, he died. Not under Federal Investigation for Bribery.

That's just it, it WASN'T legal in NJ, but somehow they got away with it. According to New Jersey law, a political party may replace a candidate for statewide office on the ballot at least 48 days before Election Day. The only exceptions would be the death of the candidate, in which case the party would be allowed to name a replacement to appear on the election ballot; or if a candidate (Torricelli) resigns from the U.S. Senate, in which case the governor would name his immediate replacement. Neither one happened, yet he was replaced. The New Jersey Supreme Court ruled unanimously that election laws should be "liberally construed" to provide a "full and fair ballot choice for the voters of New Jersey." I guess the people of Texas shouldn't be provided a "full and fair ballot choice". Maybe they aren't as good as the voters in NJ? I think Tex might disagree with that one.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
I have mentioned a few times, let the voters in Sugarland determine his fate.

I don't think I'd complain about that at all. Especially since eventually, 12 of the voters in Texas will also wind up determining his fate.

On the other hand, I wouldnt' mind seeing Rep. Jefferson resign, so maybe the only reason I wouldn't mind Delay going before the voters again is to see him acutally go down in flames.

Edited by Balta1701

Here ya go Tex

Ex-Rep. Tom DeLay remains on the TX-22 ballot.

A federal appeals court just affirmed a lower court's ruling that the state GOP had no grounds to remove DeLay from the ballot.

The court held that, at the time DeLay was taken off the candidate slate, there was no firm evidence he had moved to Virginia and no conclusive evidence that he intended to live in VA on Election Day.

Here ya go Tex

Ex-Rep. Tom DeLay remains on the TX-22 ballot.

A federal appeals court just affirmed a lower court's ruling that the state GOP had no grounds to remove DeLay from the ballot.

The court held that, at the time DeLay was taken off the candidate slate, there was no firm evidence he had moved to Virginia and no conclusive evidence that he intended to live in VA on Election Day.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
Tex, you ever watch that 70's show?

Remind me of how many ways I can put my foot up your ass... :lol:

LOL :cheers

I may have to move to the Houston suburbs :P