Hawks Finally Make a Move

I'm not saying it's not an improvement, it's just not as drastic as people may think. If they can pull in Samsonov and get him in shape and working hard it's not gonna be enough, sign Yannic Perrault and move Ruutu to wing. There you have someone who can win faceoffs and play decently both ways. The FA class was weak and I'm glad Tallon made a move, but of course there is just so much left to do.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 05:49 AM)
Solid work there, SFF. :cheers

If you're not registered at talkbhawks.com, please do, and post this -- I'd like to pin it somewhere for reference. :)

Thanks. Yeah I am registered over there and i'll post it over there as well. As I read, Calder is going to arbitration to get a raise over his 1.3 million and they are close to inking Vrbata to a deal so both of them will get raises most likely. However, even with the unsigned guys getting small increases I don't think it is even close to being so much that they couldn't afford a Samsonov or Sammy + someone else.

Goodye Calder?

Kyle Calder has filed for arbitration and would like to test the free agent market when he becomes eligible after the 2006/07 season

That Calder is anticipating free agency is reason enough for GM Dale Tallon to trade him this off-season, or at least field offers on the Hawks leading scorer in 2006. Calder had 26 goals and 59 points with a respectable minus four on the porous Hawks. Depending on if and who he gets traded to, Calder's offensive stats should improve and would make a good selection in most pools Jul. 12 - 7:04 am et

But Keith re-signs;

The Chicago Blackhawks have signed Duncan Keith to a multi-year contract.

No terms were announced. The 22-year-old Keith is considered one of the rising stars of the Hawks defense. He should once again have limited fantasy value, but with nine goals and 21 points in 81 games last season, Keith will eventually have a break out season offensively. While we don't think that it will be in the 2006/07 season, Keith is definitely worth a pick in keeper leagues. Jul. 12 - 7:00 am et

Hawks have a new voice for the radio...

John Wiedeman Joins Radio Broadcast Team

Chicago Blackhawks Press Release

July 12, 2006

The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that John Wiedeman has joined the radio broadcast team as the play-by-play announcer. Wiedeman joins color analyst Troy Murray to complete the new radio broadcast team for the upcoming Chicago Blackhawks hockey season.

“The Blackhawks are extremely happy to welcome John Wiedeman to Chicago as the new radio play-by-play voice of Blackhawk hockey,” said Blackhawks Executive Director of Communications, Broadcasting, & Community Outreach Jim De Maria. "John’s enthusiastic call of the game is one that I’m sure Blackhawk fans are going to enjoy. Along with Troy Murray, we feel we have a broadcast team that will bring all the excitement of Blackhawks hockey to our radio listeners.”

“I’m ecstatic but truly humbled about being chosen as the radio play-by-play announcer for the Chicago Blackhawks,” said Wiedeman. “This is a distinct honor and a privilege, but it’s also the realization of a dream I’ve had well before I started in this business. In a sense it’s a return home for me as I’ve been a big fan of the Blackhawks organization for well over three decades. I still have many vivid and fond memories of supporting the great Blackhawks teams as a spectator at old Chicago Stadium, while rubbing elbows with Blackhawks fans in all areas of that unforgettable building.

"The past 15 years may have taken me away from Chicago, but a big part of my heart never left the Windy City and I had always hoped that one day, I could somehow return as the voice of the team. That day has arrived and I now look forward to the responsibility of giving Blackhawk fans worldwide a level of excitement, passion and entertainment over the airwaves that they’ve yet to experience, but one that I hope they’ll appreciate and enjoy.”

Wiedeman, 49, joins the Blackhawks after having been the radio voice of the New York Islanders for the past five seasons (2001-02 through 2005-06). He also has prior NHL experience having been the substitute radio broadcaster for the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2000-01, the Tampa Bay Lightning in 1997-98, and the radio voice of the Philadelphia Flyers in 1996-97 when the Flyers went to the Stanley Cup Finals.

A graduate of the University of Kansas with a degree in Broadcast Journalism, Wiedeman began his career as a sports reporter at WCSJ radio in Chicago in 1990 and covered Blackhawk games. After two years at the station, he moved on to become the Director of Broadcasting, Public and Media Relations for the Muskegon Fury in the Colonial League while also calling their games on radio from 1992-94. From 1994-96, he took on the same duties with the Worcester Ice Cats in the American Hockey League before moving on to the Philadelphia Flyers as their radio announcer in the 1996-97 season.

Wiedeman worked as the Broadcast Director, Public and Media Relations and play-by-play radio voice of the Cincinnati Cyclones in the International Hockey League from 1997-2001 while also serving as the substitute radio play-by-play announcer for the Tampa Bay Lightning (1997-98) and Columbus Blue Jackets (2000-01).