Bush's 1st Veto

jasonxctf

It's official, sigh.

Bush Vetoes Stem Cell Bill as Promised

By MARY DALRYMPLE

Associated Press Writer

Published July 19, 2006, 1:20 PM CDT

WASHINGTON -- President Bush used the first veto of his presidency Wednesday to stop legislation easing limits on federal funding for embryonic stem-cell research.

The president spoke about the issue this afternoon in the White House East Room, surrounded by 18 families who "adopted" frozen embryos that were not used by other couples, and then used those leftover embryos to have children.

While both the GOP-run House and Senate defied Bush in passing the measure to expand federally funded embryonic stem research, supporters do not appear to have the two-thirds vote margin needed to override such a veto.

Pleadings from celebrities, a former first lady and fellow Republicans did not move Bush from his determination to reject the bill. However, lawmakers planned to try as soon as Bush issues the veto.

Bush's latest statement was following two days of emotional debate in Congress, punctuated by stories of personal and family suffering, that cast lawmakers into the intersection of politics, morality and science.

Strong majorities in the House and Senate joined sentiments with most Americans and passed a bill that lifts restriction currently limiting federally funded research to stem cell lines created before Aug. 9, 2001.

"I expect that the House will sustain the president's veto," said House Majority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio.

Disappointed lawmakers said they intended to keep pushing to lift the restrictions.

Sen. Orrin Hatch (news, bio, voting record), R-Utah, said in advance of the veto that the move "sets back embryonic stem cell research another year or so."

The Senate voted 63-37 on Tuesday, four votes short of the two-thirds majority that would be needed to override a veto. The House last year fell 50 votes short of a veto-proof margin when it passed the same bill, 238-194.

Bush has made 141 veto threats during his time in office, and the Republicans controlling Congress typically respond by changing bills to his liking.

Bush's stand against stem cells is popular among conservative Republicans that the party will rely on in the congressional elections this fall. Those opponents are the same voters who have felt alienated by Bush's actions to increase legal immigration, and the veto could bring them back into the fold.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
I just wanted to post the vote from the Senate here. If you have a senator that voted against this, and you disagree with him/her, please send an e-mail, call, or let him/her know about your displeasure.

I would say that the opposite should be true as well. If you have a senator that voted for this, and you disagree with him/her, please send an e-mail, call, or let him/her know about your displeasure. If they don't know, they won't do anything about it.

I actually had to disagree with the republican base on this. I support stem cell research and so does our senator Frist who was a doctor. I know a lot of people on here dislike Bill Frist but he is really a great guy and been a great senator for us Tennesseans.

I guess I can thank George that I will be able to keep running 5 to 8 miles a day for the rest of my life to keep my sugars in control. That and the 160 bucks a month in drugs after insurance, and the long term health benefits that every diabetic gets to look forward to. Well it could be that, or some stem cell research could find a cure for me. But fock that, the garbage can is the better place for the embryos. That makes sense.

Dumbest focking veto evah.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 12:53 AM)
I guess I can thank George that I will be able to keep running 5 to 8 miles a day for the rest of my life to keep my sugars in control. That and the 160 bucks a month in drugs after insurance, and the long term health benefits that every diabetic gets to look forward to. Well it could be that, or some stem cell research could find a cure for me. But fock that, the garbage can is the better place for the embryos. That makes sense.

Dumbest focking veto evah.

Better that you go broke and die than an embryo be murdered.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 07:09 PM)
You know those "Snowflake" embryo adoption kids that the Administration and the few other souls against stem cell research love to tout?

Here's some numbers on them.

400,000 frozen embryos.

128 embryo adoptions.

And how many "normal" kids are just sitting in orphanages or foster homes waiting to be adopted? Do we really need to add more?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
Interestingly enough, Tony Snow actually apologized for that comment.

That's well enough, but ultimately, when George Bush says we have to preserve life -- preserve the human life of embryos! -- he is saying that those who don't oppose stem cell research are killers.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
That's well enough, but ultimately, when George Bush says we have to preserve life -- preserve the human life of embryos! -- he is saying that those who don't oppose stem cell research are killers.

Which is sort of ironic, coming from the man most responsible for starting an unjustifiable and massively botched war.