Yankees/Reds discussing "huge" deal

redandwhite

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
I find it hard to believe that Arroyo would be involved. He hasn't performed like he did at the beginning of the year as of late, but he's signed relatively cheaply for the next three years.

Well, I'm only telling you what I heard from Steinbrenner's nephew, who I met at Walgreens earlier.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
Where would he play?

You're kidding, right? Their starting OF in the last game before the break was Melky Cabrera, the ancient Bernie Williams, and Kevin Thompson. Sheffield might be out for the year, and Matsui could take a while to get back on track.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
You're kidding, right? Their starting OF in the last game before the break was Melky Cabrera, the ancient Bernie Williams, and Kevin Thompson. Sheffield might be out for the year, and Matsui could take a while to get back on track.

Yes, he was clearly making a joke. A joke that has been played out so thoroughly on this website that everyone should instantly recognize it.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
Yes, he was clearly making a joke. A joke that has been played out so thoroughly on this website that everyone should instantly recognize it.

Well, it was the first time I ever saw it outside of the Sox rumors, and didn't seem to make much sense in this case.

I find it hard to believe that the Reds would trade one of their best starters, when the main weakness on that team is pitching.

By trading Griffey, they can open up a spot for Denforia and save a lot of $$$$ which they can then put into some more pitching from FA.

I have a feeling Carl Pavano could possibly be involved, if the Yanks paid some of his deal.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
I find it hard to believe that the Reds would trade one of their best starters, when the main weakness on that team is pitching.

By trading Griffey, they can open up a spot for Denforia and save a lot of $$$$ which they can then put into some more pitching from FA.

I have a feeling Carl Pavano could possibly be involved, if the Yanks paid some of his deal.

Pavano definitely makes some sense, that's kind of like the Vazquez for Johnson situation. The only problem is that it's probably going to be hard to trade him while on the DL.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 12:08 AM)
I personally think it would be a pretty big deal. :huh

It would obviously be big in terms of salary and names. But the Griffey rumors have been around for years, now. When I hear that a trade will be "huge", I expect to be surprised. I'm not too surprised that the Reds would trade one of the biggest disappointments in many years to the only team in the majors willing to pay his salary, jmho.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)
But where do the Yankees play Spring Ball? Wouldn't that impact if Griffey accepts the trade?

They play in Florida, which is also where the Reds play and where Griff wants to spend his March's.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 04:38 AM)
Trading Dunn is ridiculously stupid.

Actually, the Reds have longed been rumored to want to trade him. They feel Griffey Jr. is too important to keep around, as he's a great leader in the clubhouse, and gives them instant star power. With him getting closer to some impressive HR records, I don't blame them for keeping him around. The Reds have enough power without Dunn, and if they can load up on pitching prospects for him, they'd be smart to trade him.