Yankees/Reds discussing "huge" deal

redandwhite

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, the Reds have longed been rumored to want to trade him. They feel Griffey Jr. is too important to keep around, as he's a great leader in the clubhouse, and gives them instant star power. With him getting closer to some impressive HR records, I don't blame them for keeping him around. The Reds have enough power without Dunn, and if they can load up on pitching prospects for him, they'd be smart to trade him.

The Yankees system isn't deep enough, outside of Hughes, to load up on pitching prospects. I should have said trading Dunn to the Yankees is stupid.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see what the Yankees have that the Reds could possibly want for Griffey or Dunn. Last I read, Hughes was untouchable, and he's not even ready to contribute anyway. The Reds need a pitcher or pitchers who can step in right away and contribute.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

Griffey? Cincy has as much a shot as anybody to win the Wildcard. Hell, maybe they get a little lucky and make a run at St Louis for the Central crown...

How about Abreu? His name has been thrown around forever, and I think there's still around $20 million left on his deal.

I agree on it being Dunn instead of Griffey. Dunn walks a ton and he has good slugging stats but he's worse than his statistics. He doesn't knock in runs. He just doesn't do it, even with decent on-base guys ahead of him. THat's why they had to move him to the 2 spot. He's not good in left either. If the Reds trade him, and I think they will only if they land something big league back (Jaret Wright perhaps) then it'd be a decent move. I do think that there might not be a great trading fit for Dunn though because one would assume that Dunn is more valuable on the market than Pavano and Wright and Wang won't be traded. THis is very interesting

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 04:03 AM)
Why would either team trade with one another?

Aren't they both in the hunt for the playoffs still?

Yes, it'd certainly be odd as usually you won't have playoff contenders make a big trade with each other during the season. That being said they're are always exceptions like the Nomar deal a few years back and of course Ryan Meaux for Geoff Blum. :D

Griffey makes sense, but my first thought on reading the thread title was Dunn.

Driving home from the Sox games in Cincy a few weeks ago, the call-in radio shows were ripping Dunn apart. I couldn't believe it. It sounds like a lot of the fans out there are sick of his strikeouts and admittedly ugly left field defense.

Plus, while we know the Yankees need outfielders, Dunn is a guy they could actually play after the millions they're paying Matsui and Sheffield become relevant again. He'd be a nice upgrade at DH over Bernie Williams and would probably hit a little better than Andy Phillips. You DH Giambi and stick Dunn at first again. Or you keep him in the outfield while Damon, Matsui, and Sheffield take turns on the injury-go-round.

If I were them I'd be more willing to part with Hughes for a guy like Dunn, who could stick around and hit 40 bombs a year for more than a couple more years, than Griffey who only has a couple of years left in him and makes the whole crowd (and fantasy baseball community) cringe in anticipation of a DL stint when he leaps for a ball - or fouls one off his toe - or rounds third base - or checks his swing.

So the Reds would be crazy to trade Dunn, almost as crazy as the Yankees would be to trade Hughes? If the Reds are looking for more in this deal, I don't know... how has Eric Duncan been playing? Is he off the radar? Pavano isn't a bad thought, injured or not, if he'd be FREE.

Aside from that, I don't see the Yankees with much to offer except the familiar financial relief scenario. Add in to that the fact that this is a really really weird time for the Reds to be trading ANYTHING of value when that division is WIDE OPEN and as ugly as their bullpen is they HAVE to take a shot at winning this season.

Nothing on mlbtraderumors.com, so there may actually be something to this rumor.

The Yankees will definitely make a move to shore up their decimated Outfield, but I was actually thinking they would try to get Burrell or Abreu from Philly.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 05:48 AM)
Nothing on mlbtraderumors.com, so there may actually be something to this rumor.

The Yankees will definitely make a move to shore up their decimated Outfield, but I was actually thinking they would try to get Burrell or Abreu from Philly.

It could be a clever ruse to scare Philly into jumping the gun with Abreu and taking a little less than what they originally asked for.

I agree that Dunn is not a super-fit in NY but there are two things to consider here. 1. Brian Cashman cares about getting younger. This is evidenced by his refusal to trade cano and Wang last year. Signings like Sheffield were always George signings. 2. Brian Cashman cares about OBP. This is Dunn's forte. To me, these factors lead me to believe this is the guy Cashman wants. Plus, he makes good coin for the small market Reds and has proven that he isn't good enough of a run producer to hit 4th. The Yankees could bat him anywhere from 2 to 7th. I just think the Reds are going to want guys that help them contend this year in return. Would Cashman to Wang for Dunn? Hmm

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
I agree that Dunn is not a super-fit in NY but there are two things to consider here. 1. Brian Cashman cares about getting younger. This is evidenced by his refusal to trade cano and Wang last year. Signings like Sheffield were always George signings. 2. Brian Cashman cares about OBP. This is Dunn's forte. To me, these factors lead me to believe this is the guy Cashman wants. Plus, he makes good coin for the small market Reds and has proven that he isn't good enough of a run producer to hit 4th. The Yankees could bat him anywhere from 2 to 7th. I just think the Reds are going to want guys that help them contend this year in return. Would Cashman do Wang for Dunn? Hmm

Tehehehehehehe

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 12:42 PM)
I can see the Yankees getting Carlos Lee

Not with as weak as the NL Central is this year. The Brewers are still too close to start dumping, especially given how little they've gotten from Sheets thusfar.

Didn't Griffey refuse a trade to the Yankees years ago and got death threats because of it? It seems to me that he probably wouldn't be interested in going there. And I don't see the Reds trading Dunn, either.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 10:07 AM)
First off, I was joking about Arroyo.

Second, Dunn would get torn apart in NY.

Yea that short porch in right field would just kill his production?!

He's basically another Jason Giambi but can play LF. They'd love to add another Giambi to the lineup.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
Yea that short porch in right field would just kill his production?!

He's basically another Jason Giambi but can play LF. They'd love to add another Giambi to the lineup.

First of all, Jason Giambi himself could probably play LF just as well as Adam Dunn.

And the point I'm making about him having a tough time in NY is this. If A-Rod gets as much s*** as he does, can you imagine how much a guy with as many K's as Dunn will get?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
First of all, Jason Giambi himself could probably play LF just as well as Adam Dunn.

And the point I'm making about him having a tough time in NY is this. If A-Rod gets as much s*** as he does, can you imagine how much a guy with as many K's as Dunn will get?

NY won't kill you for K'ing. Hell the team does enough of it. Thy give the Yankees s*** all the time, yet they still score a s***load of runs and Dunn would only help that cause. He'd get crap like everyone, but who doesn't get crap as a Yankee? Anyone slmps, Stein is riding thier ass. It's part of the job, but in the end, same result: Total power and total patience in that lineup.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
NY won't kill you for K'ing. Hell the team does enough of it. Thy give the Yankees s*** all the time, yet they still score a s***load of runs and Dunn would only help that cause. He'd get crap like everyone, but who doesn't get crap as a Yankee? Anyone slmps, Stein is riding thier ass. It's part of the job, but in the end, same result: Total power and total patience in that lineup.

Dunn already gets a hard time from the Cincy fans. There is no way in hell that he doesn't get it 10x as bad from the NY fans and media.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
Dunn already gets a hard time from the Cincy fans. There is no way in hell that he doesn't get it 10x as bad from the NY fans and media.

And that would mean what? Decrease in production? Doubtful. We'll just have to see if anything happens.