Ozzie tells AJ not to expect playing time in All-Star Game

Goldmember

A.J. Pierzynski - C - White Sox

Manager Ozzie Guillen has reportedly told A.J. Pierzynski not to expect any playing time in the All-Star game.

Pierzynski played all 19 innings of Chicago's win over Boston Sunday, so Guillen is expected to rely on Ivan Rodriguez and Joe Mauer behind the plate for the American League. ''Something will happen, he'll find his way in there,'' Paul Konerko said. ''There's no way A.J.'s coming to any big event without something happening with him.'' Jul. 11 - 10:06 am et

Source: Chicago Sun-Times

here's the blurb from sun-times:

CATCH-19: After catching all 19 innings of the White Sox' 19-inning victory over the Boston Red Sox on Sunday, A.J. Pierzynski was warned by manager Ozzie Guillen not to expect any playing time tonight in the All-Star Game. Ivan Rodriguez of the Detroit Tigers is the AL's starting catcher and the Minnesota Twins' Joe Mauer is the other reserve.

Konerko was rolling his eyes over the idea that Pierzynski will stay glued to the bench tonight.

''Something will happen, he'll find his way in there,'' Konerko said. ''There's no way A.J.'s coming to any big event without something happening with him.''

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-starnt11.html

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
Perhaps.

If it were me, I'd put in Ryan, Papelbon, Jenks and then Rivera. I think he'll go with that, or a slight variance.

Who do you think will pitch the other 5 innings?

I kind of hope Buehrle doesn't pitch for two reasons. I'd like him to get all the rest he can, and I don't want him to give up runs.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
Perhaps.

If it were me, I'd put in Ryan, Papelbon, Jenks and then Rivera. I think he'll go with that, or a slight variance.

Supposedly Papelbon is going to be the backup guy at the end of the bench who won't pitch unless it goes 10 innings, after throwing a lot of innings over the weekend.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
Who do you think will pitch the other 5 innings?

I kind of hope Buehrle doesn't pitch for two reasons. I'd like him to get all the rest he can, and I don't want him to give up runs.

I don't want Buehrle pitching, either, unless necessary.

Who will pitch the other five? I don't know. Send Liriano out there, though. :D

Supposedly Papelbon is going to be the backup guy at the end of the bench who won't pitch unless it goes 10 innings, after throwing a lot of innings over the weekend.

Ah, that'd make sense.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
Great, another year, another player that we gave up a half week to vote in, that won't even get an AB.

I'm REALLY hoping that was supposed to be an attempt at sarcasm. This is the same AJ that caught 19 STRAIGHT innings of a MLB game...6 HOURS...I think he deserved the recognition of making teh team without having to play.

Besides, if the game was completely 1-sided, I can almost guarantee AJ woulda hit. A 2-1 game in the 9th = you better save a catcher for the "Oh s***!" factor.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 10:46 PM)
Besides, if the game was completely 1-sided, I can almost guarantee AJ woulda hit. A 2-1 game in the 9th = you better save a catcher for the "Oh s***!" factor.

There's your key point. That game was close and it flew by. It's not like the pitcher's spot came up 6 times because the AL scored 15 runs.