Rowand coming back???

wilmot825

Rumors are going around that the Phillies may deal CF Aaron Rowand back to the White Sox for pitcher Javier Vazquez and UTL player Rob Mackowiak. Then next season letting LF Scott Podsednik walk and have Rowand in left and Anderson in center with Dye holding down right. I am hoping on hope that they bring back A-Row and put him and Anderson in the lineup at the same time. Anderson is begining to hit and his defense is great. Fingers Crossed :gosox1:

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)
Rumors are going around that the Phillies may deal CF Aaron Rowand back to the White Sox for pitcher Javier Vazquez and UTL player Rob Mackowiak. Then next season letting LF Scott Podsednik walk and have Rowand in left and Anderson in center with Dye holding down right. I am hoping on hope that they bring back A-Row and put him and Anderson in the lineup at the same time. Anderson is begining to hit and his defense is great. Fingers Crossed :gosox1:

1.) Vazquez and mackowiak are worth more than Rowand

2.) The only way i see this happening is if we get another quality arm in the pen in this deal and mo ve brandon to the rotation.

3.) What makes you say this is closer than we think?

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)

Where did you get this?

So the Sox trade Rowand, Haigwood, and Gio for Thome; trade El Duque, Viz, and Young for Vazquez; and Marte for Mackowiak, and if the Sox were to do this trade, they would end up with Thome for (Haigwood, Gio, El Duque, Viz, Young, and Marte).

There is no way that is going to happen. The Sox are not going to get that thin on Starting Pitchers.

Starting Pitching is more valuable than OF, so if this was to happen, the Sox are going to get more than just Rowand in return.

There is no way that is going to happen. The Sox are not going to get that thin on Starting Pitchers.

Starting Pitching is more valuable than OF, so if this was to happen, the Sox are going to get more than just Rowand in return.

Agree, and if the White Sox make a deal they'll be looking to add, vs. trading pieces off their major league roster, even if a few of the current cast are underachieving.

Think prospects when looking at possible trades.

They may want to bolster the bullpen, they may want an ace starter and push everyone down a spot, and they may want another reserve OF. There's not much out there right now but things will probably heat up in 10 days.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 09:17 AM)
Agree, and if the White Sox make a deal they'll be looking to add, vs. trading pieces off their major league roster, even if a few of the current cast are underachieving.

Think prospects when looking at possible trades.

They may want to bolster the bullpen, they may want an ace starter and push everyone down a spot, and they may want another reserve OF. There's not much out there right now but things will probably heat up in 10 days.

im not 100% sold on the fact that KW wont trade something from the current roster......a 5th starter like vazquez would bring a good amount back in return, and if we get a solid righty arm in the pen, mccarthy will do just as well a vazquez. in addition, that fifth starter wont pitch in the playoffs, so a guy who is used to coming out of the pen would be more valuable than vazquez out of the pen in the playoffs.....personally id rather see garcia moved actually.....not sayin this will happen, or should happen, but i think its a possibility, and i wouldnt be pissed if it did happen....especially since there will be 12 teams lining up for another starter at the deadline, and we could probably get a huge package in return

Edit: for clarification, i dont think that a starter will be dealt for rowand unless we get a guy like gordon as well

Edited by daa84

If the Phillies threw in a reliever, I could see this happening. But something tells me that the Sox don't want Gordon and there's really nobody else in that 'pen that's impressive enough to trade for.

I could easily see KW moving Vazquez this winter. The Sox aren't going to be able to allocate $50 million of their payroll to their starters over the long term. But any move that would send B-Mac into the rotation this season is unlikely. It would likely take time for him to re-adjust to the rotation and they'd need to receive a very solid reliever (preferably one that can pitch long relief) in return.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 09:31 AM)
If the Phillies threw in a reliever, I could see this happening. But something tells me that the Sox don't want Gordon and there's really nobody else in that 'pen that's impressive enough to trade for.

I could easily see KW moving Vazquez this winter. The Sox aren't going to be able to allocate $50 million of their payroll to their starters over the long term. But any move that would send B-Mac into the rotation this season is unlikely. It would likely take time for him to re-adjust to the rotation and they'd need to receive a very solid reliever (preferably one that can pitch long relief) in return.

Actually, adding Flash to the deal adds a little sense to it. You'd have someone to take Brandon's spot in the bullpen and we'd have that right handed set up man a lot of people want. Move Brandon into the rotation and then the money would be pretty even as well. That being said, I still see no point in adding Aaron Rowand as I think Brian is going to be the better player starting the 2nd half of this season.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
Where would ARow play if we traded back for him? Would he replace BA in center then?

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 09:35 AM)
Actually, adding Flash to the deal adds a little sense to it. You'd have someone to take Brandon's spot in the bullpen and we'd have that right handed set up man a lot of people want. Move Brandon into the rotation and than the money would be pretty even as well. That being said, I still see no point in adding Aaron Rowand as I think Brian is going to be the better player starting the 2nd half of this season.

Not only that, but if we move Brandon to the rotation now, there goes our 'insurance' in case one of starters goes down. Unless, you consider Tracey or Lumsden insurance.

As much as I would love to see Rowand in a Sox uniform again, this doesn't make sense unless the Phillies throw in something else (reliever as WCSox said). Vazquez and Mackowiak would be too much for Rowand, especially considering the fact that the Phillies wouldn't want to add Vazquez's salary.

Oh, and where did you hear this rumor?

Edited by Felix

Trading for Aaron Rowand would be dumb IMO. His reputation is built on a few nice catches and a pretty good offensive season in 2004. BA is better defensively. He gets to more balls, and makes all the catches, and his arm is far more accurate. Take away that series he had defensively vs. NY last season which I will admit was incredible, I doubt anyone cries when Rowand was moved this past offseason. I wouldn't mind the Sox dealing Vazquez, which makes the Schmidt rumors a little more plausible. If Philadelphia threw in Gordon, it would make the trade more interesting, at least for this season. I think Gordon makes around $6 million, and I believe would be eligible to demand a trade in the offseason. If it were me, Gordon would be a much bigger piece of the trade than Rowand.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 07:35 AM)
Actually, adding Flash to the deal adds a little sense to it. You'd have someone to take Brandon's spot in the bullpen and we'd have that right handed set up man a lot of people want. Move Brandon into the rotation and then the money would be pretty even as well. That being said, I still see no point in adding Aaron Rowand as I think Brian is going to be the better player starting the 2nd half of this season.

The money wouldn't really be even. IIRC, Gordon's deal was 3 years/$18 million, so his yearly cost would be ~ half of Vazquez's yearly salary. But Gordon's contract runs through '08, so the commitment would be a year longer.

Agreed that Gordon wouldn't be that great of a fit for the Sox, though. He's a setup man/closer and the Sox would probably want somebody who could eat more innings. And, as Yasny pointed out, the Sox would be giving away their starting pitcher "insurance."

It should be interesting to see what happens this offseason. I'm sure that some of the current season-ticket holders will not elect to renew and that KW will be under pressure from JR to drop $10 million or so in payroll. But there's no real clear-cut "odd man out" in the rotation right now.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:09 AM)
The money wouldn't really be even. IIRC, Gordon's deal was 3 years/$18 million, so his yearly cost would be ~ half of Vazquez's yearly salary. But Gordon's contract runs through '08, so the commitment would be a year longer.

Agreed that Gordon wouldn't be that great of a fit for the Sox, though. He's a setup man/closer and the Sox would probably want somebody who could eat more innings. And, as Yasny pointed out, the Sox would be giving away their starting pitcher "insurance."

It should be interesting to see what happens this offseason. I'm sure that some of the current season-ticket holders will not elect to renew and that KW will be under pressure from JR to drop $10 million or so in payroll. But there's no real clear-cut "odd man out" in the rotation right now.

Isn't Gordon's contract money sporatic? If I remember correctly, his money actually goes down in the final couple years of the contract. Could be wrong, though.

Gordon would be perfect. We don't need someone who can eat innings. We need someone that can take Politte's role of last season. Gordon is that man.

Also, isn't there a huge waiting list for season tickets?

Something fishy is going on. KW is hatching something. You can count on that...

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:16 AM)
Sweet mother of God. Another f***ing Rowand rumor. Too much manlove for a player that a lot of people on this site wanted gone 2 years ago because he couldnt hit a slider, and crashed his dirtbike in the offseason.

not to mention, as far as we know this entire rumor came from pure SPECULATION from buster olney..he said the sox would probably liek to have him back....at least the schmidt rumor had two supposed sources

Why is everyone discounting Mackowiak's role on this team? Ozzie loves players that can play multiple positions...plus he bats left-handed. If the team deals or designates Gload, which a lot of people on this board want, then we don't have any lefty pinch hitters. I don't believe this team will give away Mack to anyone this year.

I would love to have Rowand back, but only if he's watching the World Series sitting next to me on my couch.