Rowand coming back???

wilmot825

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
I understand all that. And, as I said, I'm willing to acknowledge that Brian might become a decent player. I hope he does. On the other hand, there are hundreds of young players over the years with the same attributes that you pin on Brian who never panned out. Why can't the Anderson fans on this site at least admit this possibility exists with Brian? Who's being thick-headed, me or them?

Hmm.... :bang

Look, I am not sure when Brian Anderson kicked your pregnant sister, but people get way too caught up in the moment when evaluating what a kid is going to do in the future as a major leaguer. Its funny that you keep saying that Hawk is telling us what to think here, but think about this for just a second.

-Kenny Williams traded Brians main minor league competition for the starting centerfield job, in Chris Young. He also traded away the starting CF at the major league level to open up a spot for Anderson in Aaron Rowand.

-Ozzie Guillen has said on many occasions that Anderson is his starting CF, and that the team is better with him, than anyone else on this team in CF. Guillen has stood by Anderson repeatedly, with an emphasis that he has never cost him a game with his play, and how this is his guy in CF. Remember Ozzie isn't exactly shy about throwing people under the bus when he wants to do so.

So are you going to tell me that Ozzie Guillen and Kenny Williams have no idea what they are talking about, and some kid on a message board knows more about talent evaluation and projection than they do?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)
Rumors are going around that the Phillies may deal CF Aaron Rowand back to the White Sox for pitcher Javier Vazquez and UTL player Rob Mackowiak. Then next season letting LF Scott Podsednik walk and have Rowand in left and Anderson in center with Dye holding down right. I am hoping on hope that they bring back A-Row and put him and Anderson in the lineup at the same time. Anderson is begining to hit and his defense is great. Fingers Crossed :gosox1:

Rowand isnt worth that much, and he would make us any better. Rowand blows.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 08:59 AM)
Rowand isnt worth that much, and he would make us any better. Rowand blows.

Rock, Rowand doesn't blow but he is no all star either. My thoughts as I wrote are simple. IF andersen doesn't continue to improve this month I truly believe they should go out and get help at that position. I think they should keep andersen because he will improve in future years. In my opinion he is not ready to play everyday in this league. We are going for a world series. We are not rebuilding.

As far as Ozzie saying that Andersen is his center fielder, he is right, he is right now, and what is he suppose to say? he needs to keep the kids confidence up. I think if Andersen continues his improvement it will take care of itself. Andersen is far better defensively than Rowand.

IF andersen doesn't continue to improve this month I truly believe they should go out and get help at that position. I think they should keep andersen because he will improve in future years. In my opinion he is not ready to play everyday in this league. We are going for a world series. We are not rebuilding.

As far as Ozzie saying that Andersen is his center fielder, he is right, he is right now, and what is he suppose to say? he needs to keep the kids confidence up. I think if Andersen continues his improvement it will take care of itself. Andersen is far better defensively than Rowand.

That's why a guy like Brady Clark makes sense. Brewers still feel they're in the race although that could change. Clark is an OBP guy, plays CF and would also fit into the plans for 2007, he can play LF too.

At this point I truly feel their first preference is to see Anderson succeed. SS2K5 makes a good point, they are committed to Anderson by virtue of their actions. By the same token they are going for a World Series and blind faith doesn't always get the job done. KW is always looking to improve.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
That's why a guy like Brady Clark makes sense. Brewers still feel they're in the race although that could change. Clark is an OBP guy, plays CF and would also fit into the plans for 2007, he can play LF too.

At this point I truly feel their first preference is to see Anderson succeed. SS2K5 makes a good point, they are committed to Anderson by virtue of their actions. By the same token they are going for a World Series and blind faith doesn't always get the job done. KW is always looking to improve.

Wouldn't you agree though that as of right now, upgrading the pitching is more important than upgading from a defensive stud just to improve an offense that is the best in baseball right now?

Wouldn't you agree though that as of right now, upgrading the pitching is more important than upgading from a defensive stud just to improve an offense that is the best in baseball right now?

Yes, absolutely. But the market doesn't always track with our priorities so if a smaller improvement is available (not saying Clark is), KW will take it. He's shown he'll improve the team incrementally or with a bigger trade to address a pressing need ... all he cares about is improving and being the best.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 07:12 AM)
Hmm.... :bang

Look, I am not sure when Brian Anderson kicked your pregnant sister, but people get way too caught up in the moment when evaluating what a kid is going to do in the future as a major leaguer. Its funny that you keep saying that Hawk is telling us what to think here, but think about this for just a second.

-Kenny Williams traded Brians main minor league competition for the starting centerfield job, in Chris Young. He also traded away the starting CF at the major league level to open up a spot for Anderson in Aaron Rowand.

-Ozzie Guillen has said on many occasions that Anderson is his starting CF, and that the team is better with him, than anyone else on this team in CF. Guillen has stood by Anderson repeatedly, with an emphasis that he has never cost him a game with his play, and how this is his guy in CF. Remember Ozzie isn't exactly shy about throwing people under the bus when he wants to do so.

So are you going to tell me that Ozzie Guillen and Kenny Williams have no idea what they are talking about, and some kid on a message board knows more about talent evaluation and projection than they do?

No I'm not saying that some kid on a message board knows more than them. (I'm 25, by the way) I am saying that Kenny Williams has been wrong before in regards to talent evaluation, which is something people like yourself conveniently ignore when you assure the rest of us that Brian Anderson will pan out, because, gosh darn it, Kenny says he will.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
No I'm not saying that some kid on a message board knows more than them. (I'm 25, by the way) I am saying that Kenny Williams has been wrong before in regards to talent evaluation, which is something people like yourself conveniently ignore when you assure the rest of us that Brian Anderson will pan out, because, gosh darn it, Kenny says he will.

*cough-todd-cough*

;)

QUOTE(rowand @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
ARow does not blow. He is a great fielder, above average hitter, and great guy. I wouldn't go after him this year, but let Pods go next season and plug him into left. He can bat leadoff, but then again we would be far too right handed of a lineup with AJ and THome as our only starting Lefties.

As of today Rowand has a career .334 OBP, this year it's .317 and in '05 it was .329. Career .783 OPS, this year he's at .751 and last year .736. Aaron Rowand is NOT a leadoff hitter.

Our replacement in LF for the 2007 season and beyond will HAVE to come in the same form of player that Pods is, except one that can play competent defense...theres no reason to think we're gonna just put anyone out there to leadoff in the order...think of those type hitters who possess the ability to disrupt things from hitting 1st in the order...thats it.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
Gotcha. I'm pretty sure the Ritchie trade came under Kenny's regime.

Why does everyone still b**** about that deal so much?

Who did we trade to get Ritchie? Fogg and Wells? Was it Sean Lowe as well? It isn't like the Pirates have been basking the glow of the superstar aces we have given them to get back Todd Richie...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:32 AM)
Why does everyone still b**** about that deal so much?

Who did we trade to get Ritchie? Fogg and Wells? Was it Sean Lowe as well? It isn't like the Pirates have been basking the glow of the superstar aces we have given them to get back Todd Richie...

Umm.. who's b****ing? :huh

Well....lots of folks DID use that as a prime example of a deal gone wrong from the KW regime...whereas at this point, its one of those 'Meh, oh well. Nobody really won on that one." type deals. But I still to this day hate that we gave Fogg up....oh well, c'est la vie

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
Yes, absolutely. But the market doesn't always track with our priorities so if a smaller improvement is available (not saying Clark is), KW will take it. He's shown he'll improve the team incrementally or with a bigger trade to address a pressing need ... all he cares about is improving and being the best.

In our never-ending search to find another righty outfielder, don't you think Luis Matos would be a perfect fit for the last guy on the roster? He's an excellent defensive player, and he can play all 3 OF positions. Also, he runs pretty well, which would give us another option off the bench.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)

When Kenny Williams moves a fan favorite and a top prospect to open up a postion for a rookie, that tells me everything I need to know right there. You tell me the last time that Kenny did something like that? I know Kenny isn't perfect, but the entire organization has thrown themselves behind this kid, when history dictates if they aren't impressed with someone they either leave town, or get thrown under the bus. There has to be a reason for it, and when it comes to talent evaluation skills, I am going to err on the side of the guys with the World Series rings on their fingers.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)
In our never-ending search to find another righty outfielder, don't you think Luis Matos would be a perfect fit for the last guy on the roster? He's an excellent defensive player, and he can play all 3 OF positions. Also, he runs pretty well, which would give us another option off the bench.

All I hear are negative things about this guy from O's fans. As much as I think Rob Mackowiak was a mistake, I would rather have him out there than Matos.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
All I hear are negative things about this guy from O's fans. As much as I think Rob Mackowiak was a mistake, I would rather have him out there than Matos.

Defensively, Matos is on another planet than Mackowiak. I'm not talking about Matos being a starting CF for us.

A guy like that is a possibility, he was DFA'd by Baltimore.

The question comes down to this, would any addition to the team add more than Gload does? That's what Guillen and KW have to answer. Another factor, although people like to dismiss this, is Gload is extremely popular in the clubhouse.

So to me, it'd have to be a clear upgrade if they're thinking about bumping Gload off the roster. Gload doesn't play much but he's earned his stripes this year, he has done well in limited opportunities and he definitely has value.

It's a catch 22. They have to decide whether to stand pat or not. Neither scenario is perfect because you'd like to have better late inning OF defense but they also like what Gload adds to the team.

Difficult decision.