How many second half wins?

Greg Hibbard

Second Half Record  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What will the Sox' Second Half Record Be?

• 47-27+ (104-58+)
    • 46-28 (103-59)
    • 45-29 (102-60)
    • 44-30 (101-61)
    • 43-31 (100-62)
    • 42-32 (99-63)
    • 41-33 (98-64)
    • 40-34 (97-65)
    • 39-35 (96-66)
    • 38-36- (95-67-)

Rather than try to predict each series as a win or loss, I think it's better to do three series stretches:

1) @ NYY, @ Det, vs. Tex (9 games) - A very tough roadtrip followed by a contender at home looking for a bit of revenge. I think we split the road trip one way or another and take 2 out of 3 from Texas in a real dogfight:

Prediction: 5-4

2) Min, @Bal, @KC (9 games) - Minnesota is playing well and we are likely to catch both aces, so I think we lose that series at home. We shouldn't have a problem going 4-2 on a relatively easy roadtrip.

3) @Tor, LAA (1 game makeup), NYY, Det (10 games) - We have something to prove at Toronto and go up and spank their asses 2 out of 3 against a notoriously bad second half team. We should win that Angels game, and I think another split with the Yanks and Tigers is the most likely scenario.

Prediction: 6-4

4) KC, @Min, @Det (11 games) - I rarely pick 4 game sweeps, and this home KC series is no exception. KC has been playing better and we should be happy with 3/4. A tough roadtrip follows, and hopefully Gardenhire doesn't pull his usual "shuffle the rotation so Santana starts against the White Sox" bs. I think we would probably be ecstatic with a 4-3 mark on this roadie, and I think that's entirely possible, but 3-4 is way more likely.

Prediction: 6-5

5) Min, TB, @KC (9 games) - Now the gravy comes. I like us a lot better vs. Minnesota not hitting off of a garbage bag, and we should feast on TB at home, I predict a sweep there. We'll probably win 2/3 at KC, they play a lot tougher at home.

Prediction: 7-2

6) @Bos, Cle, LAA (10 games) - Ugh. We will lose 2/3 at Fenway, probably split the 4 games with Cleveland who is due for a second half spoiler resurgence at some point, and hopefully win 2/3 at LAA, where we've had recent success.

Prediction: 5-5

7) @Oak, Det, Sea (10 games) Definitely lose 2/3 at the Coliseum, but take 2 of 3 from the Tigers in a division deciding series and 3/4 from the Mariners, a brutal road team especially in AL parks.

8) @Cle, @Min (6 games) - Tough road trip to close out the year where two teams will be playing to spoil. We do no worse than split the six games

Prediction: 3-3

Second Half Prediction: 43-31

Overall Record - 100-62

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
Rather than try to predict each series as a win or loss, I think it's better to do three series stretches:

2) Min, @Bal, @KC (9 games) - Minnesota is playing well and we are likely to catch both aces, so I think we lose that series at home. We shouldn't have a problem going 4-2 on a relatively easy roadtrip.

Liriano is going to pitch Thursday to start the second half for the Twins. Radke will follow then Santana.

So the projected trio we will face will be:

Radke, Santana, Silva.

No Liriano.

I think we can take 2of 3.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
Liriano is going to pitch Thursday to start the second half for the Twins. Radke will follow then Santana.

So the projected trio we will face will be:

Radke, Santana, Silva.

No Liriano.

I think we can take 2of 3.

Hmm, i just assumed that they would start the second half with Liriano, Santana or vice versa.

98 wins total.

Whether Detroit falls or not...

Overall, the pitching just isn't as consistent this year as last; however, the offense has been more powerful than in '05.

The most disappointing thing to see was the Red Sox bullpen just mow the Sox down in the last series, while the offense struggled to get leads back that the starters keep giving away.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
I'll say this. We will have a better second half this season then we had last season when we basically played .500 ball throughout.

let's hope you're right. I think the tight race might make a difference...then again, I doubt the Sox layed off last season when they slumped.

With this team I dont see anyway that we arent at least 10 games over in the second half, I didnt know that we could basically play like crap and still win 90+ games.. makes me feel real good about this second half

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
The most disappointing thing to see was the Red Sox bullpen just mow the Sox down in the last series, while the offense struggled to get leads back that the starters keep giving away.

I agree, that was a disheartening sight. However I'm still not intimidated by the Red Sox. Our starting pitchers and bullpen were just plain s***ty that series. I know that come October if we are matched up against the Red Sox, I for one will not be worried, regardless of our record against them during the regular season.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 12:48 PM)
I agree, that was a disheartening sight. However I'm still not intimidated by the Red Sox. Our starting pitchers and bullpen were just plain s***ty that series. I know that come October if we are matched up against the Red Sox, I for one will not be worried, regardless of our record against them during the regular season.

The one thing I will take heart in is that it's hard for me to fathom how our starting pitching could possibly be any worse in the next half. Buehrle, Vazquez, Garland, and Garcia are all pitching significantly worse than their career marks, and Contreras hasn't gotten in a good groove since hitting the DL. If the law of averages holds, then these guys are almost all due for more consistent performances throughout the rest of the season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
The one thing I will take heart in is that it's hard for me to fathom how our starting pitching could possibly be any worse in the next half. Buehrle, Vazquez, Garland, and Garcia are all pitching significantly worse than their career marks, and Contreras hasn't gotten in a good groove since hitting the DL. If the law of averages holds, then these guys are almost all due for more consistent performances throughout the rest of the season.

great point!

I'll try this:

1) @ NYY, @ Det, vs. Tex (9 games)

Prediction: 4-5

2) Min, @Bal, @KC (9 games) -

Prediction: 6-3

3) @Tor, LAA (1 game makeup), NYY, Det (10 games) -

4) KC, @Min, @Det (11 games) -

Prediction: 6-5

5) Min, TB, @KC (9 games) -

Prediction: 7-2