Implications of Huff trade on market

beck72

Aubrey Huff was traded for 2 AA players--a 23 yr old RHP Mitch Talbot and a 25 yr old SS, Ben Zobrist. According to BA's 2006 Prospect Handbook, Talbot was Houston's 26th best prospect and Zobrist #16. Zobrist could be an everyday SS but more likely looks to be a utility guy. Talbot needs a 3rd pitch. Both are having good seasons, putting up good stats. But their long term outlooks aren't all that high

I compare these two players to the Sox' Chris Getz and Sean Tracey, though BA has Tracey #11 and Getz #15. [FWIW-BA has the sox as the 12th best system and Houston as the 20th]. The sox players may be worth a bit more.

Huff will be a free agent in 2007. Houston may try to re-sign him w/ Ensberg struggling, and Huff's ability to play LF,[ which could net them draft picks]. Houston is going for it, with it being Roger's "last year".

This trade may be a barometer of what to expect this yr. as the sox look to add pieces. Thoughts on whether this is too much, too little, just right for a guy like Huff?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
I would of thought Huff could at least land one good prospect instead of a couple of fringe prospects.

I thought so too. If it really is an "inflated" market, I would have expected more than two avg at best major leaguers. I guess this is what one could expect to realistically pay for Huff.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 11:13 PM)
Weren't the Tigers interested in Huff?

Who will they go after now?

Were they looking for someone for LF or 3b? I know they want a lefty bat though.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 07:51 PM)
They are. I for one will be pretty happy if they land Carlos.

Umm, Why? I understand he is no left handed bat, and they won't try to get him, but he is still better than Craig Monroe...

I will only be happy if they land Carlos by dealing Zumaya and Verlander for him.

Otherwise, why would we be happy if they landed CLee?

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 09:14 PM)
Umm, Why? I understand he is no left handed bat, and they won't try to get him, but he is still better than Craig Monroe...

I will only be happy if they land Carlos by dealing Zumaya and Verlander for him.

Otherwise, why would we be happy if they landed CLee?

Oh, you clearly haven't been here long.

You see, Carlos is one of the most selfish hitters in major league history, probably the most selfish in Sox history. Everytime up, he either homers or strikes out, which means he strikes out far more than Ron Kittle ever did. And he's the worst fielder in the game, ten times worse than Adam Dunn or Barry Bonds on one leg. Thus, if Detroit gets Carlos, they're guaranteed to lose, and lose big, the second half.

This is all just fact, you can look it up if you want. Now, I know you're going to say, jackie, I did look it up and it's not true. That's because you looked it up at a reputable website like mlb.com or baseball-reference.com. You didn't look it up in your gut. My gut tells me that Carlos struck out more in one year than any other man did over a lifetime. Now, that's a fact.

Although I will admit that Carlos really was not very good last year, overall, and anyone trading for him will have to think about his second half fade in 2005.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)

You see, Carlos is one of the most selfish hitters in major league history, probably the most selfish in Sox history. Everytime up, he either homers or strikes out, which means he strikes out far more than Ron Kittle ever did. And he's the worst fielder in the game, ten times worse than Adam Dunn or Barry Bonds on one leg. Thus, if Detroit gets Carlos, they're guaranteed to lose, and lose big, the second half.

This is all just fact, you can look it up if you want. Now, I know you're going to say, jackie, I did look it up and it's not true. That's because you looked it up at a reputable website like mlb.com or baseball-reference.com. You didn't look it up in your gut. My gut tells me that Carlos struck out more in one year than any other man did over a lifetime. Now, that's a fact.

Although I will admit that Carlos really was not very good last year, overall, and anyone trading for him will have to think about his second half fade in 2005.

You had me going there for a moment....

There is *some* evidence that shows Carlos slows down in the second half, but I don't want him in a position to hurt the White Sox. He is still too angry about being dealt. He is the anti-Magglio.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)

For a second I thought you lost your mind. :D I was going to mention that CLee strikes out less than the guy he was traded for, our lead-off man.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:05 AM)
I don't think one trade sets the going rate for other players. Its individual teams that set the price for their players. Its a different regime in Tampa so you can't compare what they wanted last year, obviously totally unrealistic, and what they settled for this year.

I should have put "Houston and TB set the going rate?" as a question more than a statement. Though I do think trends/ a market rate is set by other deals. Each yr is different. This yr teams may be more realistic about what they should expect by trading mediocre / veteran talent. Maybe not. We'll see when more deals are done.

I dont see the tigers making any sort of a trade for a bat, call me crazy but the way Leyland has these guys playing their gm might decide to keep the chemistry as is like the white sox last year. They might add a bat I dont see it as anything to dramatic.

If anything I see them getting a starter because i just dont see maroth and others holding up.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 01:32 AM)

So because your gut tells you something about a player you have never talked to or met or anything that becomes fact. That makes perfect sense. Im not saying Clee is a great guy or anything but im saying your gut means nothing its not fact its opinion. I also know that I have read a couple of articles on Clee since he has been a Brewer where all his teamates did was praise him on being a team leader. Now that is a fact.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)
I dont see the tigers making any sort of a trade for a bat, call me crazy but the way Leyland has these guys playing their gm might decide to keep the chemistry as is like the white sox last year. They might add a bat I dont see it as anything to dramatic.

If anything I see them getting a starter because i just dont see maroth and others holding up.

You missed the part where Illitch himself said he will stop at nothing to give the Tigers an AL Central championship. Leyland will likely give Dombrowski a list of players he can't trade, and he will then tell Dombrowski what he wants. A big bat is likely to be on that list, and since it doesn't matter financially who they will bring in, I think you are probably looking at Abreu or Lee, and if it's Lee, I see him staying in Detroit, so long as he is effective down the stretch.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
So because your gut tells you something about a player you have never talked to or met or anything that becomes fact. That makes perfect sense. Im not saying Clee is a great guy or anything but im saying your gut means nothing its not fact its opinion. I also know that I have read a couple of articles on Clee since he has been a Brewer where all his teamates did was praise him on being a team leader. Now that is a fact.

Someone can't detect a bit of playfulness in a post. Methinks Jackie knows Carlos is a solid player, though perhaps a bit selfish at times, and perhaps a bit unproductive in the second half as well.

However, if there is a more unpredictable player than Carlos Lee out there, let me know. One year, he's drawing 75 walks, the next he's a 30-20 player, the next he's a great second half hitter, and the next his power disappears in the second half. I'm not sure anyone knows what Caballo will do down the stretch this year.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)

Those who demand green should use it themselves. Also, those who STILL haven't seen Stephen Colbert's turn at the White House Correspondents' Dinner should really, really make an effort to find that video clip.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 01:52 AM)
Someone can't detect a bit of playfulness in a post. Methinks Jackie knows Carlos is a solid player, though perhaps a bit selfish at times, and perhaps a bit unproductive in the second half as well.

However, if there is a more unpredictable player than Carlos Lee out there, let me know. One year, he's drawing 75 walks, the next he's a 30-20 player, the next he's a great second half hitter, and the next his power disappears in the second half. I'm not sure anyone knows what Caballo will do down the stretch this year.

:cheers

I'd guess that Carlos is no less consistent than most major leaguers. Paulie and Melvin Mora come to mind as guys with 'solid veteran' reputations, who've nonetheless had some serious fluctuations in their numbers. And I'd guess last year was a fluke, as he'd been a strong finisher before that. Just throwing it out as a reasonable concern.