Minor League All-Star Game

Thunderin'Thome

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:30 AM)
Fields showed decent strike zone judgment and pretty good patience, but lacked contact skills. He barely got a piece of a couple fouls and looked awful on the whiffs. His swing is enormous. It's Joe Borchard+ haha.

His long swing is the reason I'll have no problem with KW if we trade him for a talented addition. My main source, who seems him play quite a lot during the season, doesn't think he'll be able to touch major league pitching.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 07:45 PM)
this is really, really enjoyable. comcast should strike up a deal to show like 20 knights games a year...

Yeah, I could see a deal where Comcast shows all/a good portion of the weekday day games for the Knights/Iowa Cubs.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 01:35 AM)
Do you think Haeger could pitch out of the bullpen... maybe pick up minor league goalie and have him be his personal catcher?

use him in long long relief...

That would be the worst spot for him. His control isn't good enough for the majors yet, and you don't want a reliever who's easy to steal against and prone to wild pitches/passed balls. I'd love for him to be used as trade bait this coming deadline.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
Fields showed decent strike zone judgment and pretty good patience, but lacked contact skills. He barely got a piece of a couple fouls and looked awful on the whiffs. His swing is enormous. It's Joe Borchard+ haha.

Watching that swing ought to derail most of the Josh Fields LF starter in 07 bandwagon. This is going to be at least another year of watching a guy incrementally shorten his swing to hit major league pitching, and insessant b****ing from the instant gratification crowd.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 07:49 AM)
Watching that swing ought to derail most of the Josh Fields LF starter in 07 bandwagon. This is going to be at least another year of watching a guy incrementally shorten his swing to hit major league pitching, and insessant b****ing from the instant gratification crowd .

The grass is always greener...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
Anyone know if this is really in the organization's plans, or if it is simply speculation and conventional wisdom? If they really were serious about moving him to left, why has he not yet played there?

Because he has far more value at 3rd base so you got to keep him there as long as possible. And what I mean when I say that is teams usually give higher value for a top notch 3rd base prospect than a top notch LF prospect.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 06:38 PM)
That would be the worst spot for him. His control isn't good enough for the majors yet, and you don't want a reliever who's easy to steal against and prone to wild pitches/passed balls. I'd love for him to be used as trade bait this coming deadline.

Haeger really ought to be traded by the end of this year, and if not, absolutely this offseason, simply because there are 6 starting pitchers currently in front of him so he's not going to break into our rotation any time soon, there are multiple pitchers coming up behind him who can fill that "6th-7th starter" role next season, and he's pitching well enough that he'd probably be in the big leagues already if he was on 1/2 of the teams in the majors.