Is this the year that the Sox have a 50 homerun hitter?

tonyho7476

50 Homeruns in a season  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Will Thome be the first Sox hitter to hit 50 homeruns in a season?

• Yes
    • No

I doubt it. Thome was on an absolute tear for the first month or so and he'd have to hit another streak like that to stay on pace. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it... especially from a guy in his mid-30s who battled injuries all of last season.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
I doubt it. Thome was on an absolute tear for the first month or so and he'd have to hit another streak like that to stay on pace. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it... especially from a guy in his mid-30s who battled injuries all of last season.

You don't think he can hit 20 HRs in the second half? I think it'll be hard for him not to get there.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
Not only do I think it will happen, but I have a feeling, if the chips fall just right, he could have a partner and teammate in that club ;)

That would be cool...but I think Dye and Konerko will end up with low 40s. And Crede with 30. Think about that...50, 40, 40, and 30 on one team...and scatter in a couple 20.

I think 50 is easily achievable for him at this point.

Here are his monthly totals:

April (80 AB) - 10

May (100 AB) - 10

June (72 AB) - 5

July (37 AB) - 5

If he was to keep up his current pace he would end up with 57 HRs, 120 Runs, and 133 RBI for the season in 500 ABs.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
I think 50 is easily achievable for him at this point.

Here are his monthly totals:

April (80 AB) - 10

May (100 AB) - 10

June (72 AB) - 5

July (37 AB) - 5

If he was to keep up his current pace he would end up with 57 HRs, 120 Runs, and 133 RBI for the season in 500 ABs.

Interleague is over too, so he won't have to sit as many games.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 08:34 AM)
You don't think he can hit 20 HRs in the second half? I think it'll be hard for him not to get there.

Given his age, recent health issues, the fact that he was on fire during April and part of May, the fact that the Sox play 31 games against teams with good starting pitching (DET, MIN, BOS, OAK) in the second half, and the fact that he's only had one 50-HR season in his career, I think it'll be a struggle and that he'll come up a bit short.

That said, I hope I'm wrong. Thome's the definition of a class act and I wish him nothing but success. And it would be great to see Albert Belle's name erased from that place in the Sox record book.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
Interleague is over too, so he won't have to sit as many games.

Good point...I think Big Sloppy got to play a lot of interleague games...so Jim is probably on a better pace....too lazy to look it up.

I defintaly think this year can be one where this will happen. The question is who will it be. Obviously Thome seems to be the favorite but his age is ny only issue. I definately dont think Thome will be able to be pitched around because of his protection in the lineup. Konerko doesnt seem to be the one this year to go for 50 but he certainly has the power. The wild card on this one is Jermain Dye. This guys is murdering the ball and could make a late season run at it.

QUOTE(Keystone @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
50? hes getting 50 for sure. The question should be whether or not he can get to 60. Wouldn't that make him the first AL player to hit 60 since Maris or am i wrong on that one?

He'd be the first non-steroid guy to do it, since Maris.